Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #1359
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Just updating the list again, of pending items:

Pending mods:
  • Remove and replace chrome side trim. Parts arrived from Airstream
  • Add bathroom light controlled by normal switch... another mod inspired by John -Need to look again to see if I can find the same light that is in there controlled by the Flywire and just install a second one, so at least it looks all the same. Switch arrived
  • Thinking of doing this next as well... and just place the order, I just want the ladder all the time there and get rid of the one inside - Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder
  • Install cut-off switch for solar panels. Thank you Mike!
  • Make the covers for the side windows with Reflectix
  • Redo the cover of the foldable bed. I need to round the corners that I forgot to do and are damaging the vinyl. Will recover each piece of wood panel separately in a different material (cloth and beige color). Got everything that I need for this task. Lazy since kids have stayed at home during the last times we have gone out...I see a trend here...
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank. I empty the tank yesterday and although it was easy, having a way to redirect the water by attaching a hose sounds like a great idea. Need to get the parts (compact/low profile 90 degree elbow, and valve with water hose adapter)
  • Install the ShowerMi$er...
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large... to be able to swing away the Vespa...
  • Fridge ventilation modification. Fridge has been working fine... so this is kind of getting lower and lower in the priority list.
  • Flexible solar panels replacement for better quality units. A couple of post on this. Looking at mounting solutions. This will be done in a couple of years. For now just monitoring the output I get with them.
  • Better mount for external air compressor quick connect.

Wishlist:
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV - got most of the information I needed. A bit surprised that this is only for stationary use. Need to ask them why the restriction. Would be nice to turn on anytime while driving if needed...

On the quick connect. I ordered a kit to relocate and make it better than it is today.

From this:

Using this:

It will allow me to have a solid mount for a quick connect port. Now to find the perfect spot for it. Right now I have the port inside the engine bay, and this one. Maybe later I do a line all the way to the back and install one quick connect next to the hitch area... Later I want to install an air tank as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air port base.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	338313   Click image for larger version

Name:	kleinn-quick-connect-coupler-relocation-kit-hero.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	338314  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #1360

Orlando , Florida
Emptied the fresh water tank yesterday to check its condition (saw a few nasty photos in FB of an AI owner that got green algae in their tank... sure as heck do not want that happening to ours)... anyway, it all looks nice and clean. Water came out perfect. I still added a little bit of bleach to the tank and refilled completely. Ran the pump inside to make it circulate that mix in the lines...

Will empty again and flush with fresh water in a few days. I did remove the filter on the pump after this to check. Still clean. Just doing for some peace of mind. Need to make this part of normal maintenance.

WBCCI #26769
Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #1361
2 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Had a chat with AM Solar. SP100 are no longer available.

Replacement would have to be their Zamp 98 panels US$249.99 each (https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panels/solar-zs100).

These use SAE connectors so I will have to modify them to use the MC4 connector/wiring that I already have in place. They have those ends available for US$7.99 each set (https://amsolar.com/rv-connections/9...pig?rq=pigtail).

Will require mounting brackets US$40.00/set for the non-tilting (80.00 for the ones that tilt but not clear if those would also work with these panels, I forgot to ask) brackets (https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-zbz)

Hi,
I just installed 3 x 100 w renogy panels last weekend. Just over $100 each and come with MC4 connectors. I used the $40 AMsolar big foot mounts. If I had to do it again I would use the $80 tilting/ rocker mounts. That way it would be easy to remove the panels from the mounts for caulking after sticking them to the roof

Eric
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #1362

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Hi,
I just installed 3 x 100 w renogy panels last weekend. Just over $100 each and come with MC4 connectors. I used the $40 AMsolar big foot mounts. If I had to do it again I would use the $80 tilting/ rocker mounts. That way it would be easy to remove the panels from the mounts for caulking after sticking them to the roof

Eric
Eric, thank you. I updated your thread asking for some photos of the install.

I was asking some feedback on this thread as I was not sure if going with AM Solar panels or the Renogy.

But with either one, I can buy all four panels that I need (minus the cost of the mounts) for what I would have to pay for one of the flexible panels that I have now... crazy... so yeah, looking at these to redo my solar setup when the time comes...
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #1363
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I put a bit of bleach in a full tank of fresh water a 2-3 times a year (then empty after a few days).
The tank is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. I drink out of it and never an issue, but I could see if it ever got something started growing inside it could be a huge problem.

My version came with a drain (opens inside, under the sink) but it doesnít drain it all the way. A little bit is always left.

I was looking for another motorcycle carrier that would work better with the low, vintage bike. A local guy had one for sale on Craigslist for a great pice (less than 1/4 price new) that I think will work out really well. I think it will be better for the dirt bikes also, so Iíll sell my other one if that is the case.
I used the RakAttach when I picked up the Benelli- even though I never used it. After picking the bike up we just drove home (weather and stuff going on we needed to get back to).

Mark
Lotus54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #1364

Orlando , Florida
Mark,

On the carrier, the one I have only works with the Vespa... I tried using it with the Triumph and was not comfortable with it... I need something more beefy for it if I am going to carry it on the hitch. The RakAttach would be great, but rethinking if we even make the expense... have not had the need for it the few times we have gone out with the Vespa on the carrier. We have access to everything we need during the trip without the need of opening the doors.

On the tanks, I was told in FB that another, less toxic, alternative is to use white vinegar instead of bleach. Supposed to work just as well.

Mine has a plug right under the tank, so it empties completely. Want to install an elbow and a valve with water hose thread to be able to route the drain away from the AI when I am doing this...

On other news, just looking and preparing for Solar replacement/upgrade... hopefully a few years away, but doing my homework now. In the process I want to upgrade the inverter/charger to 2000 minimum and make it compatible with what I have now and to be able to work if I later go with Lithium batteries

Looking at the Victron MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...120V-US-EN.pdf
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #1365

Orlando , Florida
Got another delivery from Airstream yesterday... turns out that the first package they sent only had the driver side trim. This one that I got yesterday has both driver and passenger trim bits. Great! Now I can plan on doing this.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #1366

Orlando , Florida
I moved the AI home yesterday due to some bad weather coming (it is parked around large trees so we did not wanted damage from any branches falling)...

While it was here I remember I had not done the end caps on the pieces I secured on the location where I removed the hangers. So I fired up the 3-D printer, started to measure and play with making an end cap. Took a few tries, but now done... It is the small cap that you see toward the top...at the end of the top rail. Minor finishing touch, but I did not wanted to leave it unfinished.

Also, if you remember, I wanted a perforated shelf. More for looks than anything else. At the last minute, to avoid waiting for it and having to cut to size myself, I just went to the local provider and got a solid one from them. I have not been successful at cleaning/removing all the markings and printed numbers it has... rather than wasting more time trying to clean that up, I am finally going to be ordering matching Tommy Bahama plastic laminate from a distributor in Tampa... calling Monday to place the order....

Will just cut two pieces and sandwich the aluminum sheet in between... slide back and be done. Should look better.

Right side camera is not working. Need to see Alex's thread where he took all that apart, to check if it is just a loose connection.

Edit: Found Alex's thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ms-188655.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	338609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6327.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	338610  

Name:	IMG_6330.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	338611  
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #1367

Orlando , Florida
Was able to troubleshoot the right camera not working. Thanks to Alex thread knowing where the connections were located, saved me a lot of time. Removed the dome light housing and side passenger pillar cover.

Tested everything. Swapping camera wires to test the unit to make sure it was not a bad channel on the main unit. All that worked. Problem is the actual camera housed in the side mirror. Now to figure out how to disassemble the side mirror to remove that camera.

Sending an email tomorrow to Airstream for replacement part.

Edit: Found a video. Looks like getting to the camera should be easy... running new wires (if required) is really the challenging task then...I sure hope there is a plug in there on the camera and I can leave the wiring alone...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=vQgOSKjr7bY
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1368

Orlando , Florida
Confirmed. Passenger camera is bad. Took it out and will place warranty claim.

And yes, camera has connector in the mirror housing so all wires stay intact. That was a relief.

Will fix photos in next post...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B3D7796C-BAF6-4844-BABC-A9E0959CEB8E.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	338784   Click image for larger version

Name:	D485C217-D916-4D4F-A97C-E545BD448378.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	338785  

WBCCI #26769
Old 04-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #1369

Orlando , Florida
Okay... now at home...

Video was very useful on how to remove the mirrors... Ours has all the connections to heated and the sensors, so careful with those.

Once the mirrors are out, disconnect the camera connector. There is a securing ring that you will need to loosen before you pull the plugs apart.

Here you see the camera secured to the housing...

Then you will need to remove the back cover. This big cover is held in place by 4 torx-20 screws.

There is only one small screw holding the camera housing to the rest of the side mirror cover... remove it and the smaller housing with the camera should come out.

One I had it out, I went to the driver's side to test the camera and rule out the wiring from the interior to the side mirror... removed the driver's mirror, unplugged the camera... plugged the RH camera, tested and same results... so that is how I came to the conclusion that the RH camera is toast...

This is what I was getting when using the RH turn signal...

Let me now send the email to Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6383.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	338789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6385.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	338790  

Name:	IMG_6386.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	338791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6389.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	338792  

Name:	IMG_6390.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	338793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6391.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	338794  

Name:	IMG_6396.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	338795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6399.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	338796  

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	338797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6402.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	338798  

WBCCI #26769
Old 04-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #1370
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Wow! Your documentation is awesome. Thanks so much!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #1371

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Wow! Your documentation is awesome. Thanks so much!
Thank you for that!

I created a separate thread on this so it is not buried in this one... just in case others run into the same issue... I hope Interblog is proud
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #1372

Orlando , Florida
Got confirmation from the local distributor that they have the matching plastic laminate for the Tommy Bahama in stock. Price: US$64.00 for a 4x8 sheet. They are located in Tampa, FL... just a few hours away. Will see how I can get some time off in the morning to pick it up.

Panolam Surface Systems - Nevamar line - Macchiato - Pattern: WF0011

WBCCI #26769