Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #1581
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks wachuko - good info. I think most dealers will not take action on warranty work until they can inspect the vehicle.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #1582
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks wachuko - good info. I think most dealers will not take action on warranty work until they can inspect the vehicle.
That is the weird thing... service supervisor saw the bumper before the appointment date... I guess the technician needed to do the formal paperwork and claim before it could be ordered and installed....

The rest, yeah, I was expecting that to be the case All is good. Glad that the main issue I took it in for (air suspension) is fixed.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #1583
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
That is the weird thing... service supervisor saw the bumper before the appointment date... I guess the technician needed to do the formal paperwork and claim before it could be ordered and installed....

The rest, yeah, I was expecting that to be the case All is good. Glad that the main issue I took it in for (air suspension) is fixed.

Isn't it nice that you can do the rest of the work on your own?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #1584

Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Isn't it nice that you can do the rest of the work on your own?
Yeah!

You should have seen the color document that I left them with photos and documentation of all the troubleshooting I did! Printed copy when I dropped the AI and emailed in pdf format a few days before the appointment...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #1585
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
2. Macerator leaking. I thought it was coming from one of the big hoses as it happened to another fellow member in the Facebook group, but it is not from there... seems to be from the actual macerator unit. I was not going to take that apart while at the camping site, wife would have killed me... it was supposed to be relaxing time, lol. A drop here and there... so it could wait... I circle the the floor where you can see the leak area...

Maybe from the small hose that comes out of the macerator??

Wachuko - What did the dealer do to fix your leak? My macerator leaks as well
in the almost identical spot, so I am curious what they found. Thanks
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #1586

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
2. Macerator leaking. I thought it was coming from one of the big hoses as it happened to another fellow member in the Facebook group, but it is not from there... seems to be from the actual macerator unit. I was not going to take that apart while at the camping site, wife would have killed me... it was supposed to be relaxing time, lol. A drop here and there... so it could wait... I circle the the floor where you can see the leak area...

Maybe from the small hose that comes out of the macerator??

Wachuko - What did the dealer do to fix your leak? My macerator leaks as well
in the almost identical spot, so I am curious what they found. Thanks
They told me internal seals and will be replacing it under warranty. They will not try to fix/replace the seals...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #1587
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I had same problem. Airstream replaced entire macerator at my second visit....first visit...they said they "fixed it"...got home and still leaking. My guess is it needs to be replaced
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #1588
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Ok....I’m really getting interested here. When I replaced my “destroyed” macerator I kept dealing with a “drip-drip-drip”..... I did my best (wearing faceshield) to see if I had a “pump issue” or a “connection issue”....... I have purchased all the components I (think) I need to re-plumb the system as soon as I get home.
Now I’m beginning to wonder......🤣[emoji23]🤣[emoji23]🤣
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #1589
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I too have an intermittent dripping problem, from the large pipe plumbing forward of the macerator. It is fluid seeping from the two small half moon shaped holes in the pipe located at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions that I assume are there for air to get in to facilitate flow (?).

The fluid is only dripping on some days and it's not smelly so I'm pretty sure it's gray water only. I have concluded that in my situation my gray water sliding valve is not seating or sealing completely every time, which permits slowly filling up the exit plumbing to the macerator. This would explain the intermittent nature as well as the non-smelly properties of the drips. I have a spare valve but when I crawl under there I get overwhelmed with the task involved and when I speak with the dealer, their estimate to repair makes me equally overwhelmed.

I guess I'll wait on repairs until I start getting kicked out of campgrounds for suspect discharge. As a fall back measure I also have some puppy potty training pee pads like this https://amzn.to/2MuKoTx that I could lay down to satisfy the more reasonable campground host(s).
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #1590

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Just got back from a 6127 miles motorcycle trip! Rode from Orlando, FL to the southwest most point in the US and back...

An amazing 13 days trip with a childhood friend and 3 more friends. I had never seen the Grand Canyon, it was the sight that really took my breath away. What a majectic view that I would have never been able to grasp had I not seen it in person. No photos, videos, paintings can begin to describe the view...

Now to finish the bar bottom insert in the AI.

Also, the brackets for the hood ditch lights arrived. Will install those as well and get the lights here in a few days.

I also noticed that the rear door ladder was not straight. Put a level to it and sure enough... just finished adjusting it. All good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TriptoSanDiego.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	354584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	354585  

Name:	72613040_10157096638067098_2607294282544971776_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	354586   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandCanyon.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	354587  

WBCCI #26769
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #1591

Orlando , Florida
Forgot the photo of the ladder now leveled on the side and on the back...

And finally installed a bottom cover to the bar area...

Before

After

I tried cleaning the solar panels... it is useless... I was actually afraid to apply any kind of pressure and damage the panel... will leave them alone...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	354613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	354614  

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	354615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	354616  

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	354617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	354618  

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	354619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	354620  

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	354622  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #1592

Orlando , Florida
Also noticed that one of the windshield wiper spray nozzles was cracked... order a few from Amazon...

Amazon - Dorman 47191 Windshield Washer Nozzle Kit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	354626  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #1593

Orlando , Florida
Hood ditch light brackets installed as well... lights should be here later this week...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	354627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	354628  

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	354629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	354630  

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	354631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	354632  

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	354633  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #1594

Orlando , Florida
One more thing that I forgot to share... during the service done at the dealer, for fixing the Air Ride System (a blown inline fuse), they had to disconnect the batteries and check several things... well, this triggered an SRS error that I only found out about when I went to pick up the AI... and they could not reset it. I was asked to take it to the Mercedes dealer for getting that done...

I have been looking for a diagnostic scanner that can do most of the tasks for this model year of the Sprinter... something that would not break the bank $$... I already had an inexpensive (21.99) Autel MS309 Universal OBD2 scanner... good if you have nothing else, but limited.

Ran into this thread in the Sprinter forum: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77100

and went ahead and ordered the Autel AP200 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader with All System Diagnoses and Service Functions Professional Automotive Scan Tool for iPhone (or Android)... for 69.95 (sometimes during special you can get them for close to 50.00) I figured that I would give it a try...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you receive the scanner and register with Autel, you get to download one free vehicle diagnostic setup... so be sure to select the correct one! In my case, for my 2017 Sprinter Chassis (2018 AI), it was Benz_Sprinter 906.155

In the photo sequence you can see the unit, very small, that you plug into your OBDII port. By this point you have downloaded the software to your phone, connected via Bluetooth and have configured your account (see the link to the Sprinter forum for more details)...

I ran the diagnostics... cleared all errors... re-ran them... and all good and reseted... One happy camper. Wanted to share in case someone was looking for a similar setup. For the price and functionality available, can't be beat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AutelAP200.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	354668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	354669  

Name:	IMG_0936.PNG
Views:	181
Size:	930.9 KB
ID:	354670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	928.9 KB
ID:	354671  

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	354672  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #1595

Orlando , Florida
Got a few things done so updating the list again. Funny thing is that some of the things I just did were not even on the list! Goodness...

Anyway, pending items and some additional improvements that I want to make to my AI:

Pending and improvements mods:
  • Build slider for ARB cooler. This will allow me to slide it out without needing to put up the bed every time. Still requires that I go outside and open the rear doors. I have to build a slider, cannot buy the one that ARB sells because I need it to slide out as you see it in the photo. ARB's slider is designed to slide in a different direction. I also need it to slide only enough to clear the bed being down. Do not need it to slide all the way out. I also want the slider to be as close to the floor as possible since I cannot afford the complete setup to be any higher than what it is now. With the bed in seat/bench position, I can open the cooler from the inside, this is only for when the bed is set and I failed to plan for removing what I needed from the cooler.
  • Above the cooler, I cannot plan to use any area for storage. Need all that area above it to be clear to be able to open it. There is something that I should be able to do on the side to maximize storage there. I liked what another owner did, he installed additional shelving there. Might look at doing something similar. Not lowering the side cushions is not an issue for us, we can keep those up if it allows for more storage, but I do not want to remove them either. The shelving can be built so that it is removable and allows for normal functionality of the side cushions when not in place.
  • The bags to organize the hoses and electrical cords have worked extremely well. I need to get a couple more. These I will hang on the doors to use the gap that is between the door and the screen. I could hang them like Alex recently did for the rubber mats, but not sure if I want to place hangers in that nice looking panel overhead.
  • Use a 1”x2”x Width of AI with a screen on it to place over the area where the cooler is… with the cooler in the back, the rear screen cannot go down all the way. So I want a flat and leveled surface where the screen can stop on and the rest be covered by an additional screen section…
  • Creating a shelf inside some of the cabinets for better use of space.
  • Replace the wood discs on the floor with the Turtle plates we got made
  • Make the covers for the side windows with Reflectix...with the blinds in the TB edition, shielding the inside from the heat is a challenge. Summer heat has started and I have not done this. Enough procrastinating. Wished I could do what InterBlog did with the better and fancier solution that involved two materials and some edging and sewing, but that is not going to happen... will be lucky if I even cut the Reflectix correctly
  • Install second Lagun base mount in front. Thinking of several places were this could be mounted. Looking at the base of the seat to see if that spot would work. Will report back when I have the AI back in front of the house.
  • Reconfigure bar area. Removal of lexan is done, base done. Just need to figure out what to use for dividers. Something that would allow for change in configuration while leaving space for two bottles and re-purposing the rest for storage of spices, espresso pods, and witches potions
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank. Need to get the parts:
    • Compact/low profile 90 degree elbow, and valve with water hose adapter
  • Look into a gravity drain system like another fellow AI owner did and shared in FB... just in case the macerator fails, to have a plan B... always looking ahead of problems we might face and to make our trips as problem free as possible.
  • Remove and replace chrome side trim. Parts arrived from Airstream have not had a chance to do this...
  • Install the ShowerMi$er...
  • Install cut-off switch for solar panels. Link
  • Build storage under AI for leveling blocks. Looking at some of those lift-top coffee table hinges to see if I can install those upside down and be able to pull down and out the base of where I store these... to make it easy to retrieve and store. Will still require a lock pin of some sort so it does not come down accidentally, but might work and make it easier for me... Plan is to do this in the area under the driver's step. Lots of space in there.
  • Install some shield/protection for the drain system... concerned with road debris taking out the gray/black pipes/hoses...
  • Ordered today all the parts to replace the sink. Well, all except the sink strainer that I need to buy locally... I had ordered that Mcalpine, but found out that using a low profile strainer available at HomeDepot or Lowes also works...and I can use a normal strainer! :
Wishlist:
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV - got pricing information. Just need to decide when to pull the trigger. Also found out this weekend that a local dealer (I was looking at the LTV Unity Twin Bed) sells and install that Atwood quiet A/C... so not like I have to make the trip to Ohio to get it installed...
  • The less time I have to spend on the side of the dumping area the better… What I really want is to duplicate inside all the switches that control the dumping of the tanks... That way, if in the middle of the night or if it is raining outside, I see that the tank levels are high, I can dump black and gray tanks from the comfort of the inside of the AI. Why do we have to go outside to do that!!??
  • Add a light on the side where we have to do all the connections/hook ups (driver side). One just like what we have on the passenger side. LED patio light on the driver side that you turn on separately for when you have to deal with the hook ups or dumping in the middle of the night... Using an LED light with a magnet for now
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large... to be able to swing away the Vespa...
  • Flexible solar panels replaced with more durable aluminum-framed and glass covered units. This will be done in a couple of years. For now just monitoring the output I get with them.
  • Replace inverter/charger with a Victron MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80
  • Lithium batteries... just to replace the AGM... will install same capacity, not looking to run A/C. Just want a less prone to fail battery bank.
  • I had removed this from the wish list, but having experimented with one... I still want that E&P self-leveling system...

That is all for now... and yeah, does not look like it will ever end...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #1596
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Also noticed that one of the windshield wiper spray nozzles was cracked... order a few from Amazon...

Amazon - Dorman 47191 Windshield Washer Nozzle Kit
Thanks Wachuko for posting this link! The same cracked wiper spray nozzle replacement part from MB cost $12.

I'll be ordering a pair of these from Amazon instead!!!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #1597

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Thanks Wachuko for posting this link! The same cracked wiper spray nozzle replacement part from MB cost $12.

I'll be ordering a pair of these from Amazon instead!!!
Unsure, quality wise, how they will compare to the factory part... will soon find out. I ordered 4 to have two spares in the parts bin that I carry in the AI.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #1598

Orlando , Florida
For the sink install... I mentioned that I wanted a normal strainer/drain to be able to use the regular baskets... At the time I had started to plan this modification the only drain I knew would fit was that special Mcalpine drain. I had ordered that Mcalpine drain. So with the rest of the parts coming in this week, I had everything needed for the job. But I did not like the idea of not having a normal drain that I could seal to hold water.

Since I posted the last update on the pending mods, I have been trying to find the thread or Facebook post where a fellow owner did this on their Lounge with a normal drain...

Well, finally found it!! It was here and not in FB... and the search function worked! Thread is from Passin Thru: Accumulator Tank, new sink & faucet

And the drain is from HomeDepot: Sink drain: Glacier Bay 1001 977 405 Home Depot

I will stop by this afternoon to get one.

Not sure if I need to get another HEPVO trap or not... I should get one just in case to avoid having to search for one at the last minute... Passin_Thru mentions installing a new HEPVO trap for no good reason, so maybe not really needed... he mentions needing an extension, need to figure out dimension/type of extension required.

The install in his AI came out great!

Another last minute change was the faucet... I was going to go with the Delta for the magnets it has on the pull down spray... but reading the reviews it looks like rust is an issue with those magnets. Reviews mentioned several versions of the faucet being produce to avoid some of the issues, but rust ends up showing up in all of them... so that was scrapped in favor of a Pfister LG529SAS Stellen 1-Handle Pull Down Kitchen Faucet in Stainless Steel finish (plus this one was about 1/2 of the price of the Delta).

I also ordered the wood cover. Later on I want to have matching wood covers for the stove top and the sink. Not doing that right now as those are expensive and just for looks... But I will look at doing that next year.

If all goes well, I should be able to start this over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0124a.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	354759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128a.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	354760  

WBCCI #26769
Old 10-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #1599

Orlando , Florida
I have been reading the different threads here and in FB on the issues with the macerator... mine is getting replaced under warranty, but I am referring to the way it is connected... the ridiculous amount of silicone used instead of using the proper adapter/coupler...

A member for the Airstream Interstate group in FB mentioned this:

Quote:
Anyone that serviced the macerator pump has encountered the absolute jury-rig Airstream used to connect the pump to the drain piping. Looks like a whole tube of silicone on the inside of the corrugated hose versus buying the fittings made for this. They’re available on Amazon for Pete’s sake.

David Herrmann,

Jaime it’s a Valterra F02-2104 reducing coupler. Made for adapting thin walled pipe to ABS 3”. The smaller diameter fit s the “spigot size” 3” diameter of the macerator. The larger diameter adapts easier to the existing pipe in the system.

Went ahead and ordered the correct coupler/reducer so that I have it handy and replace all that with it whenever I need to work on it...

Valterra F02-2104 Flexible Reducer Coupler-3"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valterra F02-2104 Flexible Reducer Coupler-3.jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	354771  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #1600

Orlando , Florida
Humm... I had taken a few photos of under the sink... comparing it to the photo from Passing_Thru looks like my AI has a different drain route... And I do not see a HEPVO trap in there... Let me go ahead and order that...

I also have the receptacle for microwave in the back corner... not sure how close that is going to be with the faucet... seems to be in the same area I was planning to install it... Photos can be deceiving, will need to confirm when I pull out the old sink.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	354772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	354773  

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg