Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #941
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Here...wip

Stock reflectors I moved to the ramp...

Need to get longer bolts, will be right back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	478B9193-4BB7-4E9F-AF81-93EC12369A12.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	314913   Click image for larger version

Name:	52D6662E-7879-4668-A5BF-3DA29C4449FE.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	314914  

Name:	DC7D9DBE-B46F-4ED8-A82B-44AB45CE0B28.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	314915  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #942

Orlando , Florida
This task is done. Will connect it tomorrow to make sure all lights are working fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2921.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	314946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	314947  

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	314948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	314949  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #943

Orlando , Florida
In the morning I will be installing the propane switch before l misplace that sucker again. Good night!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #944

Orlando , Florida
Just stuff I have pending to do. List is getting shorter...
  • Redo the cover of the foldable bed. I need to round the corners that I forgot to do and are damaging the vinyl. Will recover each piece of wood panel separately in a different material (cloth and beige color). Got everything that I need for this task. Will do this next as we will be using it in our next trip on the 28 of June. - Taking care of this today (Sunday)
  • Switch for propane valve. Got the switch, and Titus helped me remember where I had it... - Taking care of this today (Sunday)
  • Fix slow leak in rear, driver side, inner wheel
  • Screen room – this will move higher in priority as the days get warmer and insects are out…
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank (suggestion from Protagonist) to replace the plug currently there.
  • Install the ShowerMi$er. Parts moved from the garage to inside the house… that is progress Just need to see when I tackle this one…
  • Rear shelve with matching TB laminate – link to what John did... - I will have to order the matching laminate. Also not high on the priority list but something I would like to make/add.
  • Self-leveling system ...
  • Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder .
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large. This will allow opening the rear doors even if the Vespa or cargo tray are in place. Sweet setup that I saw on Mark's (Lotus54) AI...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #945
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Just stuff I have pending to do. List is getting shorter...
  • Redo the cover of the foldable bed. I need to round the corners that I forgot to do and are damaging the vinyl. Will recover each piece of wood panel separately in a different material (cloth and beige color). Got everything that I need for this task. Will do this next as we will be using it in our next trip on the 28 of June. - Taking care of this today (Sunday)
  • Switch for propane valve. Got the switch, and Titus helped me remember where I had it... - Taking care of this today (Sunday)
  • Fix slow leak in rear, driver side, inner wheel
  • Screen room – this will move higher in priority as the days get warmer and insects are out…
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank (suggestion from Protagonist) to replace the plug currently there.
  • Install the ShowerMi$er. Parts moved from the garage to inside the house… that is progress Just need to see when I tackle this one…
  • Rear shelve with matching TB laminate – link to what John did... - I will have to order the matching laminate. Also not high on the priority list but something I would like to make/add.
  • Self-leveling system ...
  • Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder .
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large. This will allow opening the rear doors even if the Vespa or cargo tray are in place. Sweet setup that I saw on Mark's (Lotus54) AI...

And this is how the term "A Wachuko-sized list" came into the vernacular.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #946

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
And this is how the term "A Wachuko-sized list" came into the vernacular.

Well, one more item off that list!! Propane switch installed.

I was able to identify the wire in the harness that goes under the cup holder. Cut the wire, installed terminals that I could just tap into with the switch wires...

I wanted the switch in a place where it could not be turned on by mistake. Turns out there is a perfect place inside the cabinet above the side bench seat.
Removed that wood cover, routed a pair of wires down the back via the wall of the bathroom... and via the back panel...

The switch is identical to the ones used in the AI... link to the switch (JR Products 12225 Black Single SPST On-Off Switch with Bezel) just in case someone wants to do the same.
Done!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2955.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	314982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	314983  

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	314984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	314985  

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	314986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	314987  

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	314988  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #947

Orlando , Florida
I did try to find it in the front, but at the end, as folks here have shared, much easier to do it with the wire under the cup holder.

A couple more photos... labels are temporary until I find a more elegant way to do them.

Oh, and it is so nice to work inside the AI with the A/C on... still kick myself for not trying this before!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A624D9D4-24CD-4671-9D52-3377A509F22A.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	314992   Click image for larger version

Name:	55D9D6AA-49D0-46F9-BAF4-FDAC17169E04.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	314993  

Name:	E3B0CEA4-4C3D-4C43-B6BA-883C26CF08A2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	314994   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBEFB4F5-064E-440A-9022-1107B0CD17DE.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	314995  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #948

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Everything ready for the 28, woohoo!!

Batteries level have been fine.

Fridge temp curve attached... the peak temps you see is when we open to fill it or to grab a drink while working in there. 13 day average is 43.3ºF. But there is still a lot of work to be done. I want to follow what John (Pahaska) did and insulate the area better and also provide more ventilation and air flow to the coil. Alex AVI idea of venting outside is worth looking at. With inside AI temps in the 111ºF, the fridge temps are still too high, imho. John was able to get them at around 42ºF on average... This is a time consuming project...so it will wait a few weeks when I get some time off from work.

So now everything is in the AI and ready for heading out Thursday. Vacuumed inside after all the work done... I just need to wash it on the outside and add some water to the fresh water tank before we leave ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fridge Temperatures.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	315058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	315059  

Name:	IMG_2964.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	315060  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #949
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Everything ready for the 28, woohoo!!

Batteries level have been fine.

Alex AVI idea of venting outside is worth looking at. With inside AI temps in the 111ºF, the fridge temps are still too high, imho.
HAPPY trails on the 28th. Great to see your batts are good to go. I will leave shortly after you for So. Cal.

No sympathy from me on 111ºF inside temp, or you could be here 117ºF inside temp in the shade With my inverter heat issue, I may have no choice but to punch through the side with active venting for it & tag along the fridge as a side benefit.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #950
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Wachuko,

I think your fridge temp will be fine once you get the inside RV temp down to "traveling" levels. You're inside temp is very likely to hover in the 70's-80's for your trip if you're using cab air while driving and a/c when camping. This means the air circulated to your fridge by your vent fan will be 20-30 degrees cooler, substantially helping cool things down.

Have fun on your trip (and triple check your hitch carrier before the start of each leg).
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #951
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I think your fridge temp will be fine once you get the inside RV temp down to "traveling" levels. You're inside temp is very likely to hover in the 70's-80's for your trip if you're using cab air while driving and a/c when camping. This means the air circulated to your fridge by your vent fan will be 20-30 degrees cooler, substantially helping cool things down.
ROWIEBOWIE - very good point. When I got back my AI last Friday and inside temp started at 117, it took a few hrs. of house A/C to bring down temp to 75, that's 42 degrees of swing. The inside of fridge was pretty cool, even at only "4" setting, though definitely not under 40 degrees yet. He will probably be great once temp is stabilized.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #952

Orlando , Florida
Thank you guys.

But looking at the insulation behind the fridge...it could use some redoing with better materials and more of it...there were places with no insulation whatsoever... so that is direct heat coming through that hot metal. Not planning to do the whole van... just that area behind the fridge... and install a fan with the thermostatic switch to force the air through the coil. Just shielding the wall behind the fridge, where the coil is (see photo) should help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nova Kool Fridge.JPG
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	315147  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #953
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Thank you guys.

But looking at the insulation behind the fridge...it could use some redoing with better materials and more of it...there were places with no insulation whatsoever... so that is direct heat coming through that hot metal. Not planning to do the whole van... just that area behind the fridge... and install a fan with the thermostatic switch to force the air through the coil. Just shielding the wall behind the fridge, where the coil is (see photo) should help.

I agree, been there & done that. But insulation alone won't cool. It just slows the thermal transfer. For that reason I figure a fan moving sufficient CFM of air would overcome the pocket of heat that Airstream builds around their refrigerators. Of could doing both is better.

After my insulation job, I got a 20 degree differential over the original poorly insulated area behind my fridge. Of course, without fan cooling, that just means 110 degrees instead of 130 degrees back there.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #954

Orlando , Florida
Question

rowiebowie, yes, agreed. I want to do the install of the fans to move air through the coils... it will be hot air, I know... but I am hoping it helps a bit. This will be on the long-term of things to change list... I am not looking forward to doing it this summer...

On another topic. From another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Good reminder for me - I believe we carry a fuel and oil filter but I need to verify it, and I need to add water pump to that list.

I plan to get our rig checked out by Sprinter of Clear Lake prior to my next departure. If I have a lot of parts in hand and they find something wrong, they can replace a la carte from my stash without having to charge me their own outrageous mark-up. At least that's my hope.
Indeed a good reminder... I have been meaning to do a list of critical spare parts to carry... I need to check on the part numbers, specially for the fuel filter as the parts catalog lists three different ones. Not sure which one is the correct one. And the belts are listed for With/Without HIGH-OUTPUT AC SYS so need to figure that out as well.

Oil Filter - Mercedes-Benz (642-180-00-09)
Fuel Filter - Mercedes-Benz (6420920401)
Air Filter - Mercedes-Benz (0000903751)
Serpentine Belt - Mercedes-Benz (003-993-00-96)
Fan Belt - Mercedes-Benz (001-993-39-96)
AC Belt - Mercedes-Benz (001-993-38-96)
Propane valve (seen a few threads on those failing)
Propane pressure regulator (seen a few threads on those failing)
I already carry a heavy duty tire repair kit with extra plugs, spares for every type of fuse in the AI, cable, tape, hose clamps, tie-wraps, tool kit.

What else should I include?

Oh and on a side note, finally ordered the rear view mirror to see the kids. I just could not get used to looking at the rear view mirror and only seeing the camera and not the kids. I will take it apart and remove the holder it comes with and simply install under review camera with some double face tape.

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #955
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I have a much older AI (2006) and was taking quite a long trip so I brought quite a bit of stuff. I didn’t use any of it, but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

C3 factory diagnostics interface/computer
MBII (I leave it in there all the time, easy to find out what the engine light means if it comes on)
Fuel filter
Drive belt
Belt tensionor/pulleys (should have done water pump before I left)
Crank sensor
Pressure sensor
MAP sensor
(None of those was all that much $$ and figured if I’m one some side road someplace it could mean driving normally or in limp mode)
A1 Fusebox (on the early Sprinters those can have issues and mine had some corrosion I cleaned. But a new one wasn’t that much and pretty easy to swap)
EGR (I had a failed one early on, I replaced it but it can also cause limp mode)
1quart oil
Gallon distilled water (could be used for drinking or coolant)
Tools

I have the service manual on my iPad, plus kept the AI manual in the rig. I really should have made sure I have copies of all of the AI manuals on my iPad and left the bulky book at Home. Although I still prefer paper manuals.

All this stuff didn’t really take up much room and I wouldn’t expect to need most of that for a newer rig. I probably wouldn’t bring the C3 along on shorter (staying on the west coast for instance) but if I DID have an issue, it could be a huge difference if diagnosing/repairing the issue. Especially in the middle of nowhere. I would speculate most owners wouldn’t have a clue on how to use it.

The only issue I had was the water pump and I wanted to replace it before I left. Every once in awhile it would loose some coolant (like once every 5k miles, but random). I never could find where it went and doing a pressure test when at home it would never leak a drop. I probably could have kept going without replacing the pump on the road, but I didn’t want to chance it. I don’t have many miles on the AI but it IS old. I wouldn’t Expect such issues on a new one like yours.

I would would suggest to NOT get too carried away with spares. Certainly a fuel filter is a good idea. Not expensive, small and if you get some bad fuel it could make a big difference having it handy.
A good OBDII MB specific scanner is small and potentially really handy. If the darn light comes on you can see if it is something not to worry about- or a big deal. But if you don’t know what any of the stuff means...
I don’t think the ‘full’ setup like the C3 (or C4 in your case) would be of much use to most people. But with a MB scanner (around $350 I think) can give you the actual error codes and something to talk to a mechanic about. Or figure out yourself it so inclined.
That darn ‘check engine light’ could mean anything from a very minor issue (like fuel cap not on tight for a gasoline engine) to a huge major issue. I like knowing which. On a trip last fall, the light came on 50 miles outside of Las Vegas. I pulled over and checked it (about 5 minutes) and found it was the throttle pedal ‘out of expected range’. I had passed someone, pushing it to the floor and perhaps it had not been to the floor in a long time. I noted it, cleared it and it never came back. Good peace of mind for me.

Just a few thoughts and view from an old AI rather than a new one.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #956
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I agree with Lotus54. I would not get carried away with parts. It is not like you are stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. With the AI, parts and service are usually a phone call away.

An error scanner is a good idea so if an error pops up, you have an idea if it is serious, and you can clear it if needed.
Fuel filter is good to have. It can get clogged up.
I am not sure I would carry oil or air filters. I would service the engine before I would leave.
I do not think I would carry engine belts. Serpentine belts have a long life. If not sure about its condition, change it before you leave.
A particularly problem prone part would be good to have as long as you can replace it yourself on the road. If not, it is debatable. Service people can get parts pretty fast.
The Airstream and Sprinter manuals should be with you, preferably on paper, as the tablet/computer battery may be dead.

I plan to keep it simple as storage is at a premium.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #957
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
WACHUKO - Have a great trip (you leave tomorrow, right?).

PM'ed you.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #958

Orlando , Florida
We thought we would head out early but got pulled into a few work-related calls... We got to Stephen Foster park at around 4:15... So we had a chance to checkout the place before everything closed. Lovely place that we want to come back with more time to walk around and relax.

Rear view mirror came in. Happy to be able to see the kids during the trip...

Everyone already sleeping and me doing a last check on everything before I do the same... Good night!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	49AA77DD-69A0-4E89-80E1-8F39B6306670.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	315437   Click image for larger version

Name:	43A6DE13-7678-4767-A4D1-660EF0165894.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	315438  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #959

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - Have a great trip (you leave tomorrow, right?).

PM'ed you.
Thank you Alex. We are looking forward to a diode-burnt-smell-free trip

Thank you for the kind words.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 AM   #960

Orlando , Florida
So much for being on the road by 6am !! Hahahahaha

I made a mistake with sleeping arrangements... I need to be the one in front on the foldable bed so that I can put all that away, disconnect and hit the road while they keep sleeping...or we will never head out early from any of the stops...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABFA66CA-83D5-4584-95CB-92691CA53DF3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	598.6 KB
ID:	315457   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A2A86CA-E8A7-4668-BDA3-659E63935F57.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	315458  

WBCCI #26769