Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #921
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Thank you Mike. Makes me wonder why Airstream would cover those?? So that A/C would not get out?

These would have helped when the fan came on during my absentminded moment of not leaving a rear window open...
Good question - especially since I just found a thread on the Sprinter-Source forum that had photos and part numbers of the Mercedes OEM trim cover for these D-pillars. Just attached one photo that clearly shows the proper vent grills built in the trim panel. Here is link to the thread.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62081
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	314555  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #922
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
They vent to outside via opening in the lower body panels. All vehicles have these to promote airflow though the interior.
MIKE - You said you made no measurements, but was there any perceived improvements in airflow, even the slightest bit that you or rear passengers can notice? And where is the opening they vent out in lower body panels? If it is a passive venting (rather than fan-assisted as TITUS was suggesting), how effective would it be venting below the opening vs. higher up. It is baffling why AS would plug up these vents UNLESS these are just pressure relief vents, of which the AI user can deploy numerous ones (flip-out windows, bath vent, main vent).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #923
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - You said you made no measurements, but was there any perceived improvements in airflow, even the slightest bit that you or rear passengers can notice? And where is the opening they vent out in lower body panels? If it is a passive venting (rather than fan-assisted as TITUS was suggesting), how effective would it be venting below the opening vs. higher up. It is baffling why AS would plug up these vents UNLESS these are just pressure relief vents, of which the AI user can deploy numerous ones (flip-out windows, bath vent, main vent).

Subjectively it does seem to improve the air flow to rear seats. They are a passive vent, but more than pressure relief. I also keep the bath vent open most of the time so that also adds to air flow.

My last post showed the OEM trim panel from Mercedes that definitely provide the vent opening like I added to the Airstream panels.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #924
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Nothing to see… just stuff I have pending to do(but the list is getting shorter, only problem is that some of the remaining items are expensive!! ) :

• Window Deflectors
  • Fix slow leak in rear, driver side, inner wheel
  • Redo the cover of the foldable bed. I need to round the corners that I forgot to do and are damaging the vinyl. Will recover each piece of wood panel separately in a different material (cloth and beige color). Got everything that I need for this task. Will do this next as we will be using it in our next trip on the 28 of June.
  • License plate relocation kit – for when using the carrier with the scooter. Need to figure out something that I can easily move back and forth and with a light to illuminate tag...
  • Cargo tray for Vespa. Want to replace the rods, which are made to be adjusted, for thick flat aluminum pieces. This is easy; I just need to buy the aluminum pieces and secured them in place with pop-rivets. This will make it easier to load and unload.
  • Switch for propane valve. Got the switch, just need to remember where the heck I put it...
  • Screen room – this will move higher in priority as the days get warmer and insects are out… we had a great first few months of ownership without bugs… that is about to change… The feedback on the initial one I was looking at were pretty bad… need to look for a better alternative without being stupid expensive…
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank (suggestion from Protagonist) to replace the plug currently there.
  • Install the ShowerMi$er. Parts moved from the garage to inside the house… that is progress Just need to see when I tackle this one…
  • Rear shelve with matching TB laminate – link to what John did... - I will have to order the matching laminate. Also not high on the priority list but something I would like to make/add.
  • Self-leveling system ... due to cost, this will take a while, but keeping it on the list. There are less costly alternatives like Bullseye system that I could install myself (if they can get their s* together and have all the parts available for shipping). I might just order the Bullseye jacks and get a separate controller... semi-manual approach but it will be less expensive and I could do it sooner... and when they get their issues with the automatic controller resolved, it will be just as easy as connecting the new controller... Will need help from Alex AVI to take photos of the brackets in his AI so that I can make those at home and attach the Bullseye jacks to those...
  • Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder . Don’t care that the wife does not like the looks of it… I want the rear (door-mounted) ladder… She is not the one having to clean the solar panels and having to drag the ladder out every time I clean them…
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV

Feel like I forgot something that was brought up here in the forum...

You will never be done, lol
Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #925
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Know the height of your Interstate. Ours, a 2016, is 9'8". I put 2 labels in easy sight from the driver's seat. One on the glass in the door to view the outside mirror, the other up above in the review mirror area.

When you are uncertain whether the rig is going to fit, it is often then when you need to know immediately.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #926
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Yes, knowing the actual height is a very good idea.

On our recent trip- I knew it was under 10’ And thought about 9’ 6”
An underpass we did said 9’0” !!! Passed under no problem. (I think it was measured at the corners, and middle is higher. Longer story posted my thread)

I didn’t know how tall, but measured when I got home (about 9’3” with the taller fan cover).

For your Lisence plate lamp- I would suggest installing lights on your carrier and including a plat lamp. Then just plug it into the trailer plug. That’s what I do for my hitch carrier rear tail/turn/stop lamps. (I didn’t reloacte the plate, but really should).

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #927
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yeah... 10' is easier to remember than 9'8" (in our case, fan cover is at same height of A/C cover.

On the license plate/tag... I wanted to avoid using the trailer connector. To avoid disabling the rear sensors. But yes, easier to just plug to it to light up. I plan to follow that recommendation and avoid complicating things more. I ordered a trailer light LED kit to accomplish this.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #928
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
I ordered a trailer light LED kit to accomplish this.
You may run into problems with LED trailer lights. My wireless tow lights did not work correctly until I bought a plug-in adapter that made it look like there were incandescent bulbs. If the Sprinter did not see bulb resistance, the turn signals did not operate unless the brake pedal was depressed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #929

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
You may run into problems with LED trailer lights. My wireless tow lights did not work correctly until I bought a plug-in adapter that made it look like there were incandescent bulbs. If the Sprinter did not see bulb resistance, the turn signals did not operate unless the brake pedal was depressed.
Interesting... this explains so much... now I know why one of the adapters I use works well with the motorcycle trailer and the other does not. I bought one of those adapters that compensates for load with LEDs without even knowing. I did not bother to figure it out, I just knew I had to use that adapter instead of the other one... suckers looked identical so I had to make a mark on them.

I will get one more and always keep it in the AI. Learned something new.

On other news. Got the three sleeping pads. Air mattress is out, these are in. Life is good, sleeping will be better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2863.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	314717  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #930
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
On other news. Got the three sleeping pads. Air mattress is out, these are in.
WACHUKO - Same here, 3 also, different brand but same concept (self inflating), same size, works well for us too.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #931

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - Same here, 3 also, different brand but same concept (self inflating), same size, works well for us too.
Your fault... I mean... you confirmed that these would work well and that was the gentle push I needed to get them.

These also came in and now installed. Window visors in dark tint.

Extra switches also arrived today... will finish the second switch disconnect for the Fusion. Switch I had for the LP valve still missing in action... can't remember where the heck I put it... I do remember saying "let me store it here so that I don't forget... "
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	314728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	314729  

Name:	IMG_2890.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	314730  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #932
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Window visors in dark tint.
Could not decide if clear or dark. Your pic made my decision, dark it is.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #933

Orlando , Florida
This is too funny not to share... Titus from this forum found the missing switch... I get an email with a suggestion of looking under the cup holder in the area where some folks are tapping into the wires... what do you know! There it was laughing at me... too late to install today. I placed it in the cup holder for now
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #934

Orlando , Florida
I did take the time to install the second switch for the Fusion... you know, the one that is connected to the switched power... turns out it is powered all the time. Well, maybe it is switched at the main house switch (but we all know that I am never turning that frigging switch off ).

Now the Fusion is completely off... I will later look for some better looking labels. These will have to do for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2893.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	314754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	314755  

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	314756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	314757  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #935
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
This is too funny not to share... Titus from this forum found the missing switch... I get an email with a suggestion of looking under the cup holder in the area where some folks are tapping into the wires... what do you know! There it was laughing at me... too late to install today. I placed it in the cup holder for now
Ha! Yes, the famous cupholder-catch-all-so-as-not-to-lose-screws but yet deep enough & out of the way enough to not see screws stored in them. Few days ago, I just found a set of long-lost magnets for the dash magnetic phone holders similar to what you installed. Been driving me crazy. Bottom of deep cupholders in my truck
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #936

Orlando , Florida
Oh no... not inside the cup holder...under it!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AD980BB1-ED91-4F82-A82B-377CD1CC0ACA.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	314767  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #937
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Oh no... not inside the cup holder...under it!!!
OK, way under the cupholder.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #938

Orlando , Florida
Lights arrived. Will do the install tomorrow and see if I can install the propane switch where the solar display was...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCD16D0C-8E6D-41F7-AEC7-23859682C3A7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	314881   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C6CC3FF-72FB-463F-A8B7-DDE1BCAC17E5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	314882  

Name:	A0A3CE6C-56A8-455C-B856-540C4DA64A37.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	314883  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #939
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Lights arrived. Will do the install tomorrow and see if I can install the propane switch where the solar display was...
Lights for license plates? What's wrong with the one in AI? Didn't you just replace those with bright leds?

BTW - you guys have room for 8-char on license plates?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #940

Orlando , Florida
Alex AVI - for the scooter carrier. Since it blocks the tag I need to move tag when using it. It was suggested to just get a trailer light kit to install on it.

7 character max in FL if I remember correctly
WBCCI #26769