Old 10-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This came in while I was traveling...

Called the dealer to confirm delivery date of our AI. Delivery will be between mid Nov/early December.
Looks good!

With a new solar charge controller, the Blue Sea ACR, and your stock 300W of solar, you will be in great shape right from the start. I think you'll be surprised how well it all works and may find that for overnight stays. Once you get some time with the coach and where/how you guys like to use it, you'll have a good idea of where to go next with regards to the electrical system.

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #42
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Looks good!

With a new solar charge controller, the Blue Sea ACR, and your stock 300W of solar, you will be in great shape right from the start. I think you'll be surprised how well it all works and may find that for overnight stays. Once you get some time with the coach and where/how you guys like to use it, you'll have a good idea of where to go next with regards to the electrical system.
I have been reading the feedback on some of the sub-components (generator, fridge, etc.) to know what changes I might need to look at down the road.

The challenge is that I can't find in the parts manual the exact model numbers for these items... for example, the fridge is listed as Refrigerator, 3.1 CF, LH, Novakool - I don't see a 3.1 CF fridge listed in the Novakool site. The only one that I see is the R3100 R3102 3.0 cu.ft. (85 liters)... all this to be able to determine correct dimensions for finding a replacement that is more energy efficient when the time comes.

I did read your thread ... and 2018 has the same fridge. So not in a hurry to change anything since you seemed to be okay with the stock unit. Just reading on the Vitelloni refrigerators....

Loved this photo from your thread!!

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #43

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Adding the teak shower mat to the list of first mods. It just looks so sharp. Being 5'7" I am not too concerned with loosing some headroom space.

Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge

WBCCI #26769
Old 10-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bluffton , South Carolina
One item(s) to add to your list that is small, compact and can save LOTS of potential headaches is; a good set of walkie talkies! Even with backup cameras, side cameras, visual checks, etc., there will be times you will have to rely on a set of eyeballs on certain spaces especially when backing and it will most likely be your wife (or kids if old enough) doing the guiding and/or giving feedback. Also make sure you are in agreement on hand signals, verbal commands, etc. IN ADVANCE of trying the first time. We have witnessed some absolutely hilarious (for us at least) incidents resulting in some VERY heated and prolonged discussions!
Natuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #45

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natuzzi View Post
One item(s) to add to your list that is small, compact and can save LOTS of potential headaches is; a good set of walkie talkies! Even with backup cameras, side cameras, visual checks, etc., there will be times you will have to rely on a set of eyeballs on certain spaces especially when backing and it will most likely be your wife (or kids if old enough) doing the guiding and/or giving feedback. Also make sure you are in agreement on hand signals, verbal commands, etc. IN ADVANCE of trying the first time. We have witnessed some absolutely hilarious (for us at least) incidents resulting in some VERY heated and prolonged discussions!
Thank you. We do have a set... but find, unless signal is an issue, that using our phones is better. But I will placed those in the AI just in case.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Ever since an unpleasant encounter with a low-hanging tree branch at a campground a few years ago, I have a telescoping pole that I can extend to the height of my Airstream, and use it to measure whether I have enough clearance under any suspected overhead obstruction. The pole I have accepts a variety of cleaning attachments, but sees the most use as a measuring stick.

When they say, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole, that's the pole they mean!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Thank you. We do have a set... but find, unless signal is an issue, that using our phones is better. But I will placed those in the AI just in case.
I just bought a pair a few days ago at Cabela's. $20 off sticker plus $30 mail-in rebate for a net of $50. Texas is gearing up for deer hunting season, so there are deals to be had. I didn't want to pay too much for an item that would get used only rarely (such as where there is no phone service).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #48

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I just bought a pair a few days ago at Cabela's. $20 off sticker plus $30 mail-in rebate for a net of $50. Texas is gearing up for deer hunting season, so there are deals to be had. I didn't want to pay too much for an item that would get used only rarely (such as where there is no phone service).
I might look to see what is new out there... the ones we have use 4 AA batteries each, and these do not last long... we have to remove them every time after use to avoid wasting them between uses...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I might look to see what is new out there... the ones we have use 4 AA batteries each, and these do not last long... we have to remove them every time after use to avoid wasting them between uses...
I have Motorola’s and Cobra’s, both of which have rechargeable batteries but the Motorola’s will also take 4 AA alkalines if no charging options available. Plus, I always have my Goal Zero panel available when there is enough light. The Cobra’s have the longest range though and we use them to keep in touch when camping, hiking, biking, etc. Too often in poor cell service areas especially in rural VA and WV.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #50

Orlando , Florida
Nothing to see... since the forum does not allow to go back and edit after 1/2 hour... just consolidating the list that I have so far. The list is the must-do modifications to make the experience better. There are a lot of additional things that we will get as we start to use it. These mods I just want to make as soon as I get the Interstate to avoid some of the issues you all have already encountered:
  1. Additional battery trays and strap downs (ordered). Part numbers: 454679 Strap, Battery hold-down and 454982 Battery tray, AGM CL24, End mount. This is to double the house battery capacity. Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline)
  2. Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
  3. Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
  4. Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay - (already have this ready to install when I get the Interstate)
  5. Water pressure regulator for when hooking up at RV park facilities. Read somewhere that this prevents damage to the Interstate water lines when the pressure at the RV Park is higher than expected
  6. Surge protector/EMS - Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector with Cover - 30 Amp - same reason as for having the water regulator...but in this case, to protect the electrical system in the Interstate when hooking up at a camp site
  7. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  8. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  9. 3M Clear protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  10. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  11. Duallys valvesDually 16'' Steel / Aluminum Valve Stem Extension Kit DL1SPAL - or install an ARB compressor and have the correct air adapter and leave the stock air valves in place.
  12. Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge
  13. Telescoping pole to make sure there is clearance before driving through areas with limited height, because I want to keep all the stuff on top of the Interstate in one piece... ouch!
  14. Rubber Wheel Chocks
  15. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  16. MotoTote MTX Sport Motorcycle Carrier for when I want to take my motorcycle on a trip

That is all for now... still reading threads and pulling ideas for the first must have mods for a newbie with an RV...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
wachuko, another alternative to the 3M protective film is Xpel. I have 3M on one vehicle and it is very good but the Xpel product is even better. It has “healing” property that can actually cover and fill in any of the inevitable stone chips that occur. If the mark is too large it may not completely heal but get darn close. I have no idea if there is much of a price difference.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #52

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natuzzi View Post
wachuko, another alternative to the 3M protective film is Xpel. I have 3M on one vehicle and it is very good but the Xpel product is even better. It has “healing” property that can actually cover and fill in any of the inevitable stone chips that occur. If the mark is too large it may not completely heal but get darn close. I have no idea if there is much of a price difference.
I use Xpel for the headlights in my cars... I do the install myself of those. Was not aware they had other products.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seaside Park , New Jersey
I had my 2017 grand tour ext 4x4 xpelled before I drove across country. I also had the entire windshield done. Zero road or windshield chips in 10000 miles. Great stuff and easy to maintain.
Southtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #54

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
I had my 2017 grand tour ext 4x4 xpelled before I drove across country. I also had the entire windshield done. Zero road or windshield chips in 10000 miles. Great stuff and easy to maintain.
Do you mind sharing how much that was? You can send me private message if you prefer. Just want to added to my budget spreadsheet
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seaside Park , New Jersey
It was 3800.00 full xpel kit, windshield, and side window tint.
Southtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #56

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
It was 3800.00 full xpel kit, windshield, and side window tint.
Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #57

Orlando , Florida
Just consolidating the list that I have so far and adding some last minute items I had forgotten.

Anything else that would be classified as a must-have-now for a newbie starting the RV life?

As I mentioned, the stuff around cookware and inside gadgets will come from the Small Space Living thread...

Looking more for guidance in stuff like the water pressure valve to avoid damage to the AI... recommendations of that nature.
  1. Additional battery trays and strap downs (ordered). Part numbers: 454679 Strap, Battery hold-down and 454982 Battery tray, AGM CL24, End mount. This is to double the house battery capacity. Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline)
  2. Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
  3. Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
  4. Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay - (already have this ready to install when I get the Interstate)
  5. Water pressure regulator for when hooking up at RV park facilities. Read somewhere that this prevents damage to the Interstate water lines when the pressure at the RV Park is higher than expected
  6. Surge protector/EMS - Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector with Cover - 30 Amp - same reason as for having the water regulator...but in this case, to protect the electrical system in the Interstate when hooking up at a camp site
  7. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  8. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  9. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  10. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  11. Duallys valvesDually 16'' Steel / Aluminum Valve Stem Extension Kit DL1SPAL - or install an ARB compressor and have the correct air adapter and leave the stock air valves in place.
  12. Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge
  13. Telescoping pole to make sure there is clearance before driving through areas with limited height, because I want to keep all the stuff on top of the Interstate in one piece... ouch!
  14. Rubber Wheel Chocks
  15. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  16. MotoTote MTX Sport Motorcycle Carrier for when I want to take my motorcycle on a trip
  17. Windshield cover for when parked to reduce interior heat. Also looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate (I know, not as harsh as in Arizona and Texas, but still...)
  18. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving.
  19. Gloves, hoses (separate hoses for water fills and for tank cleaning)
  20. Inline water filter for filling tanks - to keep all internals in great shape and avoid build ups...

That is all for now... still reading threads and pulling ideas for the first must have mods for a newbie with an RV...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Water pressure regulator should already be installed. 2 would be overkill.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #59

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Water pressure regulator should already be installed. 2 would be overkill.
Thank you. I must have missed it. Did not see it in the 2018 parts diagram. Reason for having it on the list.

Not buying anything else until I get the AI. I will be able to confirm then.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Thank you. I must have missed it. Did not see it in the 2018 parts diagram. Reason for having it on the list.

Not buying anything else until I get the AI. I will be able to confirm then.
Owners manual, page 6-5:

Quote:
Your plumbing system has a built-in pressure regulator
to protect your lines and faucets from extremely high
pressures on some city water systems.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote