Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Ouch! black holding tank flush issue

Another flood. Like always, this morning hooked up hose to black holding tank flush, opened valve, turned on water (long hose to source), turned on macerator pump and flooded the whole front half of the interior. Just happened this a.m. Plan to check out to see if I can see what happened next week. Driving it to Portland March 30 to have the whole system checked out. Warranty runs out March 26. Local dealer notified AS in Ohio that a warranty issue is pending. A big warranty issue at that. The flood water hosed down the furnace which started to run and wouldn't shut off with the thermostat. Pulled off the exterior furnace cover and shut off with the switch. Furnace issue could be coincidence. Monday I noticed the bath exhaust fan didn't work. Fuse was good. No other problem I could find. Easy to replace I figured. When I turned off the furnace switch after the flood this morning, the bath exhaust fan turned on (both are on the same circuit). Potergeists? Anyone else with this problem?
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Sounds like your in DEEP DOO DOO

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Good one. Just a fresh water flush. Tank was empty. Luckily not a "doo-doo" issue. The flush water was rerouted somehow before it got to the tank.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Hee,Hee I couldn't resist

Sounds like the hose from the outside flush port to the tank came loose/off.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
First thing to check is the anti-siphon valve usually located just inside....behind the connection. There are several posts about these valves cracking/breaking and causing a flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Does it drain without the flush attached?

Are you on level ground?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
First thing to check is the anti-siphon valve usually located just inside....behind the connection. There are several posts about these valves cracking/breaking and causing a flood.

+1 on the anti-siphon valve being the cause of your flood. It's right above the water pump on the Lounge models. You can see it if you remove the lower galley drawer. It can be damaged if there is any trapped water in it and exposed to freezing temps.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
+1 on the anti-siphon valve being the cause of your flood. It's right above the water pump on the Lounge models. You can see it if you remove the lower galley drawer. It can be damaged if there is any trapped water in it and exposed to freezing temps.
But isn't that the anti-siphon valve for the municipal water connection?

I thought the OP said he had hooked up to the black tank flush fitting, which is under the floor of the van and couldn't flood the interior even if its backflow preventer failed.

In order for the black tank flush to flood the van's interior, the ONLY place the leak could occur is at the black tank itself; the black tank is located right under the toilet, above floor level. EVERY other component of the blackwater system is under the floor level and cannot flood the van's interior no matter how badly those components might leak.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Ouch! black holding tank flush issue

The black tank flush connector located in the macerator hose reel compartment feeds a water line with an anti-siphon valve to prevent back flow from the black tank. It's located under the sink in galley. The water line then runs under the floor to the black tank under toilet.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Mine did the same thing. The anti-siphon valve is a two bit piece of plastic and won't survive freezing temps. Water gets trapped in the valve and expands when it freezes breaking it. The next spring you get to find out. Worse, Airstream doesn't mention winterizing the black tank flush line so you get to find out the hard way.

The water shouldn't hurt anything after it drys out. You will have to remove and replace or just remove the valve altogether.

Welcome to the world of Airstream where every day is a surprise! And mostly, not a good one.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Protagonist,

The flush line makes a 90 degree turn straight up into the cab just on the other side of the hose connection, goes about 18" high, then 90 degree horizontal to the valve a couple of inches, then back down to just under the plywood floor but still above the cab floor in the insulated space between the plywood and cab floor and then another 90 degrees turn horizontal over to the tank. It's almost all inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But isn't that the anti-siphon valve for the municipal water connection?

I thought the OP said he had hooked up to the black tank flush fitting, which is under the floor of the van and couldn't flood the interior even if its backflow preventer failed.

In order for the black tank flush to flood the van's interior, the ONLY place the leak could occur is at the black tank itself; the black tank is located right under the toilet, above floor level. EVERY other component of the blackwater system is under the floor level and cannot flood the van's interior no matter how badly those components might leak.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
The flush line makes a 90 degree turn straight up into the cab just on the other side of the hose connection, goes about 18" high, then 90 degree horizontal to the valve a couple of inches, then back down to just under the plywood floor but still above the cab floor in the insulated space between the plywood and cab floor and then another 90 degrees turn horizontal over to the tank. It's almost all inside.
II stand corrected. Thank you. Learn something new every day.

Let's just hope I never get so senile that the new thing I learn every day isn't my name!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Mine did the same thing. The anti-siphon valve is a two bit piece of plastic and won't survive freezing temps. Water gets trapped in the valve and expands when it freezes breaking it. The next spring you get to find out. Worse, Airstream doesn't mention winterizing the black tank flush line so you get to find out the hard way.

The water shouldn't hurt anything after it drys out. You will have to remove and replace or just remove the valve altogether.

Welcome to the world of Airstream where every day is a surprise! And mostly, not a good one.
Do you remember any mention of the water impacting the furnace? I fired up a space heater when I got back to home base to dry out the furnace (which isn't functioning) and surrounding area. Will make another pass at it Wednesday. Also the warranty is up this week. Would the part be covered or do you know? AS has been notified a potential warranty issue is forthcoming thanks to a thoughtful service advisor.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
It did't cause any issue with my furnace at all-but that is not to say it may not have damaged the electronics board in yours.

Hard to say about warranty issues. Airstream may claim it was caused by freeze damage and not covered at all, including collateral damage. If the claim occurred prior to the date the warranty expired and you gave them or the dealer notice before it expired and was covered it would still be covered even after the warranty period expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Do you remember any mention of the water impacting the furnace? I fired up a space heater when I got back to home base to dry out the furnace (which isn't functioning) and surrounding area. Will make another pass at it Wednesday. Also the warranty is up this week. Would the part be covered or do you know? AS has been notified a potential warranty issue is forthcoming thanks to a thoughtful service advisor.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
So.. the 'water' is coming into the unit from above the floor... not 'backing up' thru the fixtures... ahhhhhhh.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
So.. the 'water' is coming into the unit from above the floor... not 'backing up' thru the fixtures... ahhhhhhh.
Correct. Sounds like the siphon-valve hose is toast from other responses. The hose's placement would explain why water blew on to the furnace as well. Ah, RVs. Never a dull moment.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Actually, it is pex pipe and easy to fix. You have to remove the microwave to gain access to the area. It was not hard to repair it.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's likely not the hose but the actual valve. If you use google to search Airforums for anti siphon valve you will find a few posts showing you pictures of the valve and how others have improved the valve (either removing or replacing with a higher quality valve)

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #19
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
thanks

Thanks all. I'm on it. Will indeed upgrade the anti-siphon valve as well as the hose. Thanks for the search leads. Will probably consult with AS dealer just in case it is a warranty issue especially if the furnace is toast because of water damage caused by the bad valve. Cross your collective fingers.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My check valve was installed backwards and the dealer told me that it was located on the curbside and you had to remove the plastic cubby to access it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote