Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Ordering Interstate Last Words of Advice

Placing my order tomorrow for a 2015 and thought I would reach out for any final words of wisdom. The price is all set and unless there is a last minute rope a dope should go pretty smooth. I have bought lots of cars and more houses but just in case I can gain one little tidbit, I thought I would reach out.

Is there anything I should or could ask to be thrown in the deal? Full tank of diesel, are all electrical cords/ hoses included?

Super excited to be officially joining the ranks here.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Is there anything I should or could ask to be thrown in the deal? Full tank of diesel, are all electrical cords/ hoses included?
Full tank of propane (well, 80% full, since that's all the OPD valve will allow). The dealer should definitely throw in the shore power cord. Probably a 25-foot hose (but it will be an el cheapo brand and you'll want to replace it with better at first opportunity). Those are pretty much a given, since you'll need them for the walk-through when they demonstrate all of the systems.

On the walk-through, have them demonstrate everything, one system at a time. Then you do the same thing while they coach you. Then do it once more without the coaching and see if you still get it right. If you do, then move on to the next system. Don't let them rush you.

When you do the walk-through, they'll concentrate on the house systems. Don't forget to include the dashboard systems. You actually need to know those first in order to drive away.

Just a reminder… Do you have your insurance lined up? As it's a motor vehicle, you can't even drive it off the lot without insurance.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Thanks Pro. I won't get it until mid May but appreciate your thoughts and will review again prior to delivery.

Best insurance I found so far is with Good Sam so unless I find something better before delivery will go that route.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Very exciting!

I think airstream has some sort of starter kit with a hose or two, and some black tank chemicals. We didn't know it existed, so didn't know to ask for it. It's about $400, so worth asking for them to throw in.

Crossing my fingers all goes well for you tomorrow!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
One thing that is very handy is a conversion plug from 30amp to a standard 110 recep, great when 30 amp isn't available. The dealer threw mine in.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Very exciting!

I think airstream has some sort of starter kit with a hose or two, and some black tank chemicals. We didn't know it existed, so didn't know to ask for it. It's about $400, so worth asking for them to throw in.

Crossing my fingers all goes well for you tomorrow!
Thanks, will definitely ask.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
One thing that is very handy is a conversion plug from 30amp to a standard 110 recep, great when 30 amp isn't available. The dealer threw mine in.
Good idea. Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If it's not too late, TV remote(s), instructions for all of the things that Airstream adds to the van (there's more than you think), Sprinter manuals, full reservoirs of washer fluid, brake fluid, and coolant, full tank of DEF, and check all tires for correct pressure. They have probably done all this but as the Gipper said, "Trust but verify".

You'll probably need to get your own RG-6 or RG-59 coax cable for hooking TV up at a campground.

One thing I didn't notice until after the warranty expired was the black and gray water tank valve lites on the switches. Mine never worked.

Also the check valve in the black water tank flush line was installed backwards on mine. This an easy check by just connecting a garden hose to it and listen for flow w/ the toilet flush valve open.

Good luck and enjoy your new home away from home. Don't hesitate to come back here and ask questions.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
An as built electrical wiring diagram.
DavisBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBurns View Post
An as built electrical wiring diagram.

Good luck trying to get an as built wiring diagram. I did get some diagrams from Airstream for my 2013. They would not give me a complete set. I only got one sheet of two for the AC 110V layout and 6 of 8 sheets for the DC 12V layout. When I asked for the other sheets they told me they were for in house use only at factory. On close examination of the single 110V AC diagram I noticed it did not match my vehicle. On my van, as others have reported, the 110V AC plug for the refrigerator is plugged into the Inverter. Guess what? The wiring diagram I got says it is not to be wired that way. No wonder these rigs have electrical problems. They can't even build them to their own wiring diagrams. I intend to build my own set of diagrams based on what they sent me with the modifications I've made, like adding more solar.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Good luck trying to get an as built wiring diagram. I did get some diagrams from Airstream for my 2013. They would not give me a complete set. I only got one sheet of two for the AC 110V layout and 6 of 8 sheets for the DC 12V layout. When I asked for the other sheets they told me they were for in house use only at factory. On close examination of the single 110V AC diagram I noticed it did not match my vehicle. On my van, as others have reported, the 110V AC plug for the refrigerator is plugged into the Inverter. Guess what? The wiring diagram I got says it is not to be wired that way. No wonder these rigs have electrical problems. They can't even build them to their own wiring diagrams. I intend to build my own set of diagrams based on what they sent me with the modifications I've made, like adding more solar.
Mike, kudos for getting something! If we don't ask, we will never get them so we should ask! I think it's about liability, if they don't five you the information they can't get sued for doing it wrong. However, I would just like to know how it is supposed to be done. Like I didn't know about the refrigerator, so I'll check that on mine. Ours is used and it had many wiring problems, as in we thought it was all fixed and now we have a gremlin, but it is hard to know what the previous owner did and what was done at the factory.
DavisBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBurns View Post
I think it's about liability, if they don't give you the information they can't get sued for doing it wrong.
I don't think that's it. I think it's more likely that they don't want amateurs rewiring anything without checking with them first.

I was unable to get ANY electrical drawings from Jackson Center when I asked. However, the day after I bought mine, some vile miscreant stole the Kenwood head unit out of the dashboard, doing about $3000 in damage to the dashboard in the process. As I was getting that repaired, I decided to have a Viper alarm system installed as well, to hopefully prevent a repeat occurrence. Although Jackson Center was reluctant to give a copy of the drawings to the Viper installer, the installer WAS finally able to get a copy of the ONE drawing that they needed to do the install. The Viper installer tells me that he was told that normally only authorized Sprinter up-fitters get copies of the Sprinter drawings. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Boxster1971 only got the Airstream electrical drawings when he asked, not the original Sprinter electrical drawings.

But back to my tale, the Viper installer was also given strict instructions not to give me access to the drawing he received! In order to make sure the drawing would be there if/when they need it again, it was sealed inside a Ziploc bag and secreted behind an interior trim panel. But I don't know which panel, and I'm not going to tear my van apart looking for it.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I was only trying to get the Airstream wiring diagrams. I'd have to go to Mercedes for the Sprinter wiring diagrams and I know you can't get them free.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I received a complete set from my Airstream dealer's service manager before he was told not to distribute them. The real reason they don't provide them is liability because they don't have accurate consumer type schematics available-only the engineering drawings used by the factory-and not only are they very poorly drawn, they may not even be accurate.

Roadtrek provides basic electrical schematics in the manuals they provide.

So, it is nothing more than just plain laziness and a complete lack of concern than anything else-sort of the same attitude they have in building them and which seems to permeate everything they do at Jackson Center.

I would never buy another Airstream product and you can add their attitude about not providing schematics on a long list of reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't think that's it. I think it's more likely that they don't want amateurs rewiring anything without checking with them first.

I was unable to get ANY electrical drawings from Jackson Center when I asked. However, the day after I bought mine, some vile miscreant stole the Kenwood head unit out of the dashboard, doing about $3000 in damage to the dashboard in the process. As I was getting that repaired, I decided to have a Viper alarm system installed as well, to hopefully prevent a repeat occurrence. Although Jackson Center was reluctant to give a copy of the drawings to the Viper installer, the installer WAS finally able to get a copy of the ONE drawing that they needed to do the install. The Viper installer tells me that he was told that normally only authorized Sprinter up-fitters get copies of the Sprinter drawings. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Boxster1971 only got the Airstream electrical drawings when he asked, not the original Sprinter electrical drawings.

But back to my tale, the Viper installer was also given strict instructions not to give me access to the drawing he received! In order to make sure the drawing would be there if/when they need it again, it was sealed inside a Ziploc bag and secreted behind an interior trim panel. But I don't know which panel, and I'm not going to tear my van apart looking for it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I do like my Interstate because it suits my requirement better than anything else available when I bought it in September 2012. I've had a few problems and Airstream could do a better job building these vans for what they cost. The electrical systems needs an upgrade to free one from having to plugin every few days. I added 400 watts of solar panels and that has made a world of difference for my use.

Now that Roadtrek has finally decided to offer the extended version an E-trek would be one of my choices if I was going to buy another B-van. But I think my top choice for an alternative to the Interstate would be a customized van from Advanced RV, provided they are still around in 5 years when I'm likely to be ready to upgrade.

- - Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm going to check out a local upfitter to see what they can offer. Now that I know what I need and don't need.

BTW there's a fellow on the Sprinter forum that has a 2014 Roadtrek that he's stripping and re-doing. When he took the ceiling out, he discovered that there was zero insulation.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I do like my Interstate because it suits my requirement better than anything else available when I bought it in September 2012. I've had a few problems and Airstream could do a better job building these vans for what they cost. The electrical systems needs an upgrade to free one from having to plugin every few days. I added 400 watts of solar panels and that has made a world of difference

- - Mike

FunWaggin'
FunWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Raleigh , North Carolina
Boxster, I'm considering upgrading my solar panel. Is the footprint of the 400 watt similar to the existing 50watt that came on my 2014?

FunWaggin'
FunWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunWaggin View Post
Boxster, I'm considering upgrading my solar panel. Is the footprint of the 400 watt similar to the existing 50watt that came on my 2014?

FunWaggin'
Pretty sure, He has multiple panels with a larger foortprint.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunWaggin View Post

FunWaggin'
Recommend you read the entire thread on this forum titled "Solar Panel Upgrades".
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-111952.html

It has some details on my upgrade and several others. You can also search this forum for other solar projects. I had to do some significant mods to get four 100 watt panels on my roof. If I was building it again I would do what "lewster" (Lew Faber) does using the AM Solar mounting brackets.

You could probably upgrade to a 100 watt panel and not have to upgrade the wiring and controller. That is what the new Interstates have. Anything beyond that requires upgrading the wiring and switching to a MPPT controller to get good performance.
---------------
- - Mike