Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Here is a good one. You do need to broil the wings after they are done to make them crispy, although they can be eaten without this step.

Also on the same website

In fact she has a category called One Pot

Wow, there are a lot of wonderful recipes on that site! Thanks for sharing.

Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #30
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like the looks of that Green Chile Stew sauce.....would be very versatile, and a few jars stowed take up no frig space.

I'm going to have to look for that and give it a try.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #31
2016 30' International
Windermere , Florida
I bought one of the Instant Pots. We have done a stews and roasts mostly. It's pretty amazing!
triciaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Got Stuff in the Fridge. Google your list + recipe ...amazing what recipes are out there. I've never had trouble making a recipe into a one pan meal....Just get creative.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Compact pressure cooker

GSI makes a small and compact alloy pressure cooker. It will cook a soup in 10 min or a stew in 15. I use it for jambalaya and it's done in 15 min. You can cook a game hen or chicken parts right on your stove and it fits anywhere for storage.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
One Pot Meals in a Super Small Space

This recipe made it's way around the internet via social media a while back. We made it twice and loved it both times. Great leftover too!

Fiesta Chicken Crockpot Recipe

4 chicken breasts (frozen or raw)
1 packet Fiesta Ranch dip (by the salad dressing)
1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can corn (not drained)
1 cup mild salsa
1 block cream cheese

Cook everything except the cream cheese on high in crockpot for 4-6 hours on low. Add cream cheese the last 30 minutes. If too much liquid remains remove the top and allow some to evaporate. Shred chicken with forks, stir mixture and serve over rice or with tortillas.
The Evans' Family
Florida Panhandle
WBCCI 7091, Unit 153 & AIR 88474
1977 Overlander / 27' ~ The Attitude Adjuster
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
One Pot Meals in a Super Small Space

One pot or many pots...I'm a pretty happy camper either way. Nothing beats sharing a great meal other than sharing w someone you love while Airstreaming 😍

Thanks for this post.
☘ 369goose

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Wow, there are a lot of wonderful recipes on that site! Thanks for sharing.
Yes, she is a great cook and is into using fresh ingredients. She is coming out with a cookbook soon. I was blown away with all the variety of recipes that she has on this website.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #37
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Interblog, as you are into homegrown foods and food prep, do you ever dehydrate your garden produce? We have a small inexpensive electric dehydrator, and dry tomatoes, tomato paste (which turns into a kind of leather,) zucchini, grilled eggplant, blanched green beans, red bell or hot peppers, mushrooms, herbs, and various types of fruit. These are extremely lightweight, store well in lightweight plastic containers, keep for years, and can easily be tossed into dishes where you want them while traveling. Something like dried tomatoes and mushroom slices easily reconstitute in a little hot water, and can be tossed into hot drained pasta with a bit of EVOO, and a topping of grated parmesan or other hard Italian cheese. Dried fruit can be added to breakfast cereal.
Len n Jeanne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:11 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
These are fantastic ideas. We were also big fans of the Zataran's rice mixes, but are trying to watch the sodium, so we're making up some of our own with minute rice and Mrs. Dash, among other spices. We have used both canned chicken and canned shrimp with this when we don't want to use chicken sausage.

We love Salsa chicken in the crock pot - just several chicken breasts and a jar of salsa - Easy and we use the leftovers for chicken tacos or chicken salsa dip (similar to buffalo chicken dip).

We would like to do more with a cast iron dutch oven, so we're watching for those recipes.

Thanks, everyone!
Jenn & Robb & our two furry kids
Maizie ('the Black Dog') & Dex ('the Brown Dog')
1980 International 31
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member
Montclair , NJ
It's really hard to be low carb on the road but I like some of the ideas here. Thanks for sharing👍🏻😊
2014.5 Airstream Interstate Ext.
k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Interblog, as you are into homegrown foods and food prep, do you ever dehydrate your garden produce? ....
We've never tried dehydration. Mountain House does freeze drying (similar) and is the best of all suppliers that I've found. I've eaten no small amount of their products my time, and I prefer frozen to anything that's had the water removed by any method. I do blanch and freeze raw vegetables for later recipe use. I only grow grape tomatoes because I freeze them whole, sort of like peas.

I think if I were going to branch out from a freezer-based post-harvest regime, I'd try canning, but it's a lot of work when one can simply make up the meals and freeze (its all about efficiency). I've got a teenager who eats when she darned well feels like it (on an irregular schedule due to extracurricular activities in high school) and a husband who works odd shifts as a flight controller for the International Space Station. Both of them can yank Pyrex out of the freezer at any hour of the day and have their whole meal needs instantly met in a healthy way.

I was impressed by your channa recipe. Anyone who knows about ginger-garlic paste likely has a story to tell about where and how they learned that level of process. I cook in the style of what had been Andhra Pradesh (Telangana) although my personal preference is more Tamil style. Unfortunately I was never exposed to the latter methodology but Houston has no shortage of restaurants. I would hesitate to cook Indian food in the Interstate, though, due to the potential for spice permeation in the small space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prepping.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	260608  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Home dehydrators come in all levels of cost and sophistication. We picked up our Nesco dehydrator at Walmart, of all places, and it's worked pretty well. We've done a lot of home freezing and canning, but I am moving more towards dehydrating for certain foods, like fruits, *kale chips*, (yum) mushroom slices, and tomato slices & tomato "leather" which is basically dehydrated tomato paste. Generally I would buy dried porcini mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the supermarket.

On our last trip out (8 weeks in the Mojave desert and southern Utah) I used a lot of the dried tomatoes and paste, because they are so versatile. Unlike the canned products, they are light and a lot less bulky, pack well in plastic and they don't require freezing or refrigerating. The dried tomatoes also work well in a salad. Ours are organic, locally grown, no preservatives, and otherwise pretty virtuous.

The curry paste (ground fresh garlic, ginger, and hot pepper in whatever proportion you like) is one of those things best made at home, but it keeps a long time and I'm sure it could be frozen in small quantities for RVing. I've not had a problem with curry dishes overwhelming our air space, but then we do keep that fan over the stove going, and the stuff doesn't have to cook for very long.

How we got into Indian food (vegetarian) is kind of an odd story. We were paying horribly high college tuition for my son, and having to belt-tighten in a lot of other areas. We joked that we'd be living on rice and beans. Till we realized that traditional Indian cooking is based on rice and beans. So we started experimenting.

By the same token, I won't fry bacon in the Bambi-- it's not the smell so much as the grease spatters.... and our unit didn't come with a microwave.

Speaking of growing food to preserve at home and freeze or not-- have you all roasted tomatoes at home? (Line a cookie sheet with foil, arrange tomato slices or small halves cut-side up on it, sprinkle with herbs, optional EVOO, and bake under low heat till the tomatoes are dense-- even chewy, if you prefer.) They take on a more tomato-paste flavour, but so much better due to the herbs and partial carmelizing that occurs. Dried basil would be a traditional herb, but I grew some lemon thyme that was just super with home-grown yellow tomatoes. The tomato volume is considerably reduced, so they pack into small plastic containers to use soon or to freeze, and are great as a quick pizza or pasta addition.

So another easy one pot dish would be to boil up some pasta, drain, toss in some cut-up dried or roasted tomatoes, kalamata olives, a drained can of solid-pack tuna fish, whatever else you feel like, and top with grated or shaved Parmesan or other hard Italian cheese.
Len n Jeanne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #42
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love this soup, not so much the mixing and cooking of tiny meatballs.

I have found that skipping the meatball making and substituting Italian sausage still gives an excellent flavor, minus the mess.

This makes a delicious, nutritious, one pot meal.

Quick & Easy Italian Wedding Soup

1 pound turkey Italian sausage, browned and drained

Add 8 cups chicken broth, bring to boil, then add
1/2 cup orzo or other tiny pasta, and cook til nearly done.

Add 1 pound curly endive or escarole coarsely chopped, simmer about 5 minutes

Beat together 2 large eggs and 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Drizzle into simmering soup mixture, while stirring briskly, as for egg drop soup, and simmer about 1 minute.

Salt and fresh pepper to taste, more chicken broth if needed, freshly grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle onto bowls.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote