Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
Fuel Mileage

Does anyone have actuate MPG and at what highways speeds for the 3500 yet.
Has anyone found the peak MPH to drive for long distance for best economy?
Any Issues with this 3500 I should know about before heading across country?
Thanks
FltRisk
FLTRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRisk View Post
Does anyone have actuate MPG and at what highways speeds for the 3500 yet.
Has anyone found the peak MPH to drive for long distance for best economy?
Any Issues with this 3500 I should know about before heading across country?
Thanks
FltRisk
Welcome to the Air Forums!

There is no one universal "accurate mpg" because it will depend on a lot of different factors: road condition, elevation changes, how much weight you're carrying, whether all of the weight is inside or on a cargo tray, even which direction the wind is blowing, whether you're running the dashboard air conditioner, how much of the drive is through town where you have stop signs and stoplights, whether you've got a leadfoot when accelerating…

The best-ever fuel economy I got was at 55 mph on US-190 west of Baton Rouge, where (briefly) I managed to peak at 19.6 mpg. On longer drives, over different road conditions, and with varying speeds, I typically see 18.2 mpg at some point along the trip, but I also see as low as 17.2 at other points. The very worst long-distance fuel economy I got was in Arkansas, on Scenic Byway 7. Although the speed limit was a low 55 mph, there were so many steep hills and sharp turns necessitating speed changes that my fuel economy dropped to a miserable 14.6 mpg.

I haven't noticed any particular issues with my Interstate as far as driveability is concerned. It's my preferred vehicle for any out-of-town trip, even when I'm not going camping, simply because it's so comfortable to drive long distances.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've experienced about the same results, consequently I try to drive about 60-65. Going 70 really starts knocking the mpg down.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #44
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
18.5 - 19 mpg at 65MPH
16.5 - 17 mpg at 70MPH

Around 13 MPG when running around town (30-45 mph)
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
18.5 - 19 mpg at 65MPH
16.5 - 17 mpg at 70MPH

Around 13 MPG when running around town (30-45 mph)
Qualifier most driving in Midwest is VERY flat.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Glad to hear the Onan tech was not alarmed by this! I just bought my Honda EU3000is on Saturday. I've got my hitch basket as well (went with a Rola cargo basket part no. 59502, much stouter than the others I have seen), also just ordered their light kit that adds tail lights on the back of the basket, plugs into the trailer light plug. I'm going to add a generator plug to the rear of the Sprinter back by the trailer hitch so I can us this on the roll without having the plug hanging off of the side. I just need to fab up some brackets to bolt the generator into the basket. I ordered a couple of high security cable locks to run through the generators handles and the gas cans and around the hitch to keep anyone from walking off with everything. Drove home from the Honda equipement dealer with the generator strapped into the basket. Having the backup camera to keep an eye on everthing back there is very reassuring!
Great mind think alike! I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing, I'm going to tie into the electrical junction box and run conduit over to the hitch and use a similar plug to the factory one, I also have an enclosed trailor that I suspect one could hardy hear a honda 3000 running in.

Jeff
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #47
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
Great mind think alike! I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing, I'm going to tie into the electrical junction box and run conduit over to the hitch and use a similar plug to the factory one, I also have an enclosed trailor that I suspect one could hardy hear a honda 3000 running in.

Jeff
Probably not a good idea to run one in an enclosed trailer. It would eventually choke itself trying to breathe its own exhaust. Not to mention choking you when you open the trailer at your destination.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
This trailor has sidewall vents and roof vents, I may have to vent the exhaust outside, I'll just need to expeiment a little, probably wont work well in high temperatures. I'm mostly thinking of this scenerio for remote camp locations where a door could be left open.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I should advise that while I have successfully used the Honda while "on the roll" there were a couple of issues. At first I had a LOT of problems with the generator dying when I hit the brakes. I finally figured out that it I clocked it in the opposite direction the problem when away (I think it is a fuel starvation issue). I have not used it this year and it's sitting in storage so I'll have to go look at it and report back on which side needed to be the "front" to prevent stalling under braking.

The second problem is that when the generator is running with the roof top air on, and then I start the Interstate's motor, the roof top a/c shuts off momentarily which then puts the generator into overload. In order to get it back up and running I have to shut off the a/c, shut off the generator, restart the generator and then turn the a/c back on. The only solution I found to that one was to keep the coach engine running whenever I have the roof top air running off of the Honda.

Even with these annoying quirks I'm still very happy to have my gas powered setup!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote