Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Newport Beach , California
On trip - need help with key/ignition issue

Hello,

Just drive from California to Florida in my 2018 interstate airstream, and have this strange intermittent issue that has me a bit freaked out.

4 times on the trip so far, when I put the key in the ignition, it is not detected, no dash lights come on and the ignition switch remains locked.

No amount of wiggling the key or steering wheel helps. Each time, after trying everything I can think of, it magically starts to work again - I put the key in and it is detected and lights come on and ignition is unlocked.

Twice this has happened at the diesel pump, and I sat there like a dummy trying to get it to work for 20 min.

At first I thought maybe the steering wheel column was locked, but that is not the issue.

Second I thought maybe my key battery was low, so I swapped out with my brand new fob that hadn’t been used and I still have the issue.

Right now, I’m staying in the RV at a campground and don’t have time to go to a Mercedes sprinter dealer.

I am planning to head up the east coast and stay a week in the pinehurst, NC area, where I will have time to go.

I’ve read where some people on this forum have a similar problem, but not quite the same. If I have some ideas from the community, maybe I can call ahead to Mercedes and be better prepared with the service so our trip isn’t so disrupted.

I’m afraid one of these times it just won’t magically start working after 20 min.

Thanks!
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGT View Post
. . .
. . . maybe I can call ahead to Mercedes and be better prepared with the service so our trip isn’t so disrupted.
. . .
I would start calling Mercedes, Airstream, and your dealer to schedule one or more appointments ASAP.

No need to wait until you have it figured out IMO.

Quote:
. . .
I’m afraid one of these times it just won’t magically start working after 20 min.
. . .
Exactly!

Sooner or later a Mercedes dealer/mechanic will have to trouble-shoot this. They will plug you in and get an instant diagnosis hopefully. Are you still under warranty?

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- See Airstream reply in next post.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Hello,

Just drive from California to Florida in my 2018 interstate airstream, and have this strange intermittent issue that has me a bit freaked out.

4 times on the trip so far, when I put the key in the ignition, it is not detected, no dash lights come on and the ignition switch remains locked.

No amount of wiggling the key or steering wheel helps. Each time, after trying everything I can think of, it magically starts to work again - I put the key in and it is detected and lights come on and ignition is unlocked.

Twice this has happened at the diesel pump, and I sat there like a dummy trying to get it to work for 20 min.

At first I thought maybe the steering wheel column was locked, but that is not the issue.

Second I thought maybe my key battery was low, so I swapped out with my brand new fob that hadn’t been used and I still have the issue.

Right now, I’m staying in the RV at a campground and don’t have time to go to a Mercedes sprinter dealer.

I am planning to head up the east coast and stay a week in the pinehurst, NC area, where I will have time to go.

I’ve read where some people on this forum have a similar problem, but not quite the same. If I have some ideas from the community, maybe I can call ahead to Mercedes and be better prepared with the service so our trip isn’t so disrupted.

Thanks!
Hi AirstreamGT,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, just sent my contact info and VIN.

If anyone has ideas in the meantime, please let me know. I do not want to interrupt our vacation (much) if I can help it.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cols , Ohio
Possibly the chassis battery connection

Hello,
Check the chassis battery, and chassis battery connections including the red quick disconnect above the accelerator pedal under the dash.
Hopefully that helps.
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the help. I’m away from the airstream for a few hours (Disney). When I get back, I’ll investigate.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There is probably a Mercedes dealer within 5 miles of Disney. Your warranty should support a mobile technician to check this out, rather than run the risk of you becoming disabled on the road.

Don’t be shy!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Found this issue while looking things over

I looked under and found a wire harness dragging on the ground. It appears the white wire is severed, and dangling. The wires originally terminate inside that piece of rubber that is glued to the battery box (assuming this is the battery box). When I found it, both sides of the rubber had fallen down from the plastic box (great design!)

Interestingly, I just checked my key and it works in the ignition. I expect these issues may be related, but the broken white wire is not triggering the issue, at least only intermittently.

I expect this issue (white wire) is an airstream issue and not MBZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F022D168-E13E-42B8-B96F-0BD7E5C060E8.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	347419   Click image for larger version

Name:	90C47BD6-32CA-47D2-9196-CDE0480A11D7.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	347420  

Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

went under in daylight this morning, and that is a holding tank (not sure which one) and that is likely the heating element that is damaged (the tank is 26 gallon, which doesn't align with anything directly in the specs (either black or grey). Maybe debris on the drive over, but it appears the glue is not going to hold up well. It keeps wanting to fall down. Will need to get that fixed, but definitely no concern with freezing temps at the moment.

Alex P, what specifically should I be looking for with the chasis battery and the red disconnects?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I'm expecting a call back from the service advisor this morning.... They seem busy (I can imagine) here in Orlando.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Talked to MBZ. They think it’s something in the ignition system that is failing. No traveling techs, so likely bringing it in tomorrow am.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cols , Ohio
Check to make sure all connections are connected and secure. When chassis battery (under driver’s seat) is dead or disconnected the key will not turn in the ignition.
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

At MBZ service getting diagnostic test done. Will report what they find.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Ok, they did the diagnostic and found faults associated with the PSM. They also found it needed an update, so they updated and the faults cleared. Also had a CID update done.

Now for the bad news, the side view cameras no longer work. Had to come back and tech is looking at it. Likely the PSM software update messed with the airstream integration to the rear view camera. Has anyone had this happen?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the updates . . . good luck the the remaining problems.

Peter
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Talked to airstream. They have a special PSM code, and he shouldn’t have updated with the standard Mercedes PSM update. and all their techs are at lunch so he will call me back later. I have an angry child missing Disney at the moment.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

OK, haven't had a chance to follow up on my saga.

Thursday: Airstream emails me the special PSM code, but Mercedes refused to install it. They cite security and liability concerns with taking PSM code from my cell phone via email and installing on the airstream. So, I left knowing that at-least my side view cameras were no longer viewable while the blinkers were on.

Friday I drove to Georgia. Saturday the issue has returned. I just got stuck at a store for 20 minutes with the ignition/key not working again. I walked away for 20 min, and it magically worked again.

While I was with the Mercedes technician, he did a pretty thorough check of all systems on the Mercedes side, and everything was green (good). This isn't to say that something in the ignition system is failing somehow, or even the PSM itself.

I do have a inclination to think that there is probably a short somewhere with the airstream integration, which might not be easy to investigate. At this point, I have my whole family, including 5 month old baby with us, and I'm freaked out, and upset about this.

I don't want to rag on airstream too much, but they are not acting like the 'luxury brand' they try to portray. I will just put down some facts on my dealing with them, with no spin.

1) I DM'd the Airstream customer service rep on this thread immediately after they chimed in about helping me with the issue and would have a technician call me back. I received no call or followup after I DM'd my info.

2) I called Airstream on Wednesday to explain my issue, and before I could finish, they said its a Mercedes problem and to contact them.

3) on Thursday I contacted Airstream to discuss the PSM code issue, and everyone was at lunch so I left my name/number and they were going to call me back. I received no phone call.

4) I called them again on Thursday and found someone to email me the code. After Mercedes refused to install it, I emailed the customer rep back and asked him to call me. I received no call.

5) On Friday, I called again and waited on hold. When I get down to being the next one on hold, the call goes to voicemail. I leave my name and number and request a call back. I received no call.

I have two weeks left planned on my vacation, and I think its just about ruined. I'm going to have to fly my family back to California and try to sort out the finger pointing between MBZ and Airstream, and then drive it back by myself.

This really sucks, I didn't expect the customer support to be so poor, and I really didn't expect to be having so many issues with a brand new rig that isn't exactly cheap.

I'm going to have to try and get ahold of Airstream on Monday (you can guarantee I won't be leaving a voicemail for anyone).
Old 07-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I recently went through an experience with Airstream customer support that I would characterize as quite unsatisfactory. There's no need to go into detail here but I had some of the same kinds of interactions as you did; dropped balls, lack of follow-up, waiting on hold then getting voicemail, etc.

After a few days of this, in my next conversation with a live person I finally said that I wanted the address of Airstream CEO Bob Wheeler so that I could communicate my concerns directly to him and, magically, things began to happen. Ultimately, my issue wasn't fully resolved but at least I started getting some attention. Perhaps you could try a little name dropping the next time you have a chance to speak to someone.

I sincerely hope you can get this sorted out. Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I think the issue is Mercedes, but Airstream blowing you off isn't cool at all.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
OK, haven't had a chance to follow up on my saga.

Thursday: Airstream emails me the special PSM code, but Mercedes refused to install it. They cite security and liability concerns with taking PSM code from my cell phone via email and installing on the airstream. So, I left knowing that at-least my side view cameras were no longer viewable while the blinkers were on.

Friday I drove to Georgia. Saturday the issue has returned. I just got stuck at a store for 20 minutes with the ignition/key not working again. I walked away for 20 min, and it magically worked again.

While I was with the Mercedes technician, he did a pretty thorough check of all systems on the Mercedes side, and everything was green (good). This isn't to say that something in the ignition system is failing somehow, or even the PSM itself.

I do have a inclination to think that there is probably a short somewhere with the airstream integration, which might not be easy to investigate. At this point, I have my whole family, including 5 month old baby with us, and I'm freaked out, and upset about this.

I don't want to rag on airstream too much, but they are not acting like the 'luxury brand' they try to portray. I will just put down some facts on my dealing with them, with no spin.

1) I DM'd the Airstream customer service rep on this thread immediately after they chimed in about helping me with the issue and would have a technician call me back. I received no call or followup after I DM'd my info.

2) I called Airstream on Wednesday to explain my issue, and before I could finish, they said its a Mercedes problem and to contact them.

3) on Thursday I contacted Airstream to discuss the PSM code issue, and everyone was at lunch so I left my name/number and they were going to call me back. I received no phone call.

4) I called them again on Thursday and found someone to email me the code. After Mercedes refused to install it, I emailed the customer rep back and asked him to call me. I received no call.

5) On Friday, I called again and waited on hold. When I get down to being the next one on hold, the call goes to voicemail. I leave my name and number and request a call back. I received no call.

I have two weeks left planned on my vacation, and I think its just about ruined. I'm going to have to fly my family back to California and try to sort out the finger pointing between MBZ and Airstream, and then drive it back by myself.

This really sucks, I didn't expect the customer support to be so poor, and I really didn't expect to be having so many issues with a brand new rig that isn't exactly cheap.

I'm going to have to try and get ahold of Airstream on Monday (you can guarantee I won't be leaving a voicemail for anyone).
AIRSTREAMGT - First of all, sorry for your troubles. Some of us had gone through similar finger pointing, so we definitely feel for you.

AS is an authorized and high visibility MB upfitter. Their collaboration is used by both companies in their advertising and clearly leverage off of this relationship. As some have said, this appears to be an MB problem. But MB dealers also have a documented history of doing this due to their ignorance of their relationship with AS. Since both are finger pointing, ultimately you need to push AS and they then contact MB on how to handle the extra warranty billing situation associated with flashing the new PSM code.

From a tech standpoint, if the issue is the PSM code and AS has a modified PSM specific to the AI, MB should still have the ability to do so IF they have the code on hand. But since it is modified PSM code to make/put the vehicle in the final "Final Product" status as defined by Feds, then technically this is AS responsibility to flash PSM back to that level. And if AS has the ability to do so at their factory, their dealer's should be able to. MB is only responsible for putting it back to the latest MB PSM version. But you are in a grey area as one can argue MB broke an updated/upfitted PSM without first verifying if they have the ability to bring it back to original PSM version. Considering they broke it, the exception rules apply and they should work with AS to determine how to fix.

Either way, this is beyond technician's decisions. Time to escalate to management on both sides. But push hard on the AS side. Ultimately, they are responsible for the complete product. MB supplies AS with what is classified by the Feds as "Incomplete Vehicle" status. AS is defined by the Feds as the "Final Product Manufacturer". They are ultimately responsible should the chassis manufacturer shun their responsibility. That is the reason why these classifications are assigned.

MB Incomplete Vehicle decal below from my rig

Name:	20190728_005048.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	347802

AS Final Product Manufacturer decal below from my rig.

Name:	20180612_173306.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	347801
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote