Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Chetek , Wisconsin
Omnistor step

Slides out always but not in...Tried freeing but can push in and comes out fine... Sealed unit hard to attack? Any help appricated.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Just looked up Omnistor steps; they don't look much different than the Project 2000 steps found on later model Interstates. On the assumption that they're similar, I'll tell you about mine, and see if it rings a bell for you…

The Project 2000 step includes a "step lock" switch on the light switch panel by the sliding side door. The step lock locks the step in the "out" position, but not in the "in" position. However, it is possible to override the step lock by starting the engine. There's a relay, such that when the ignition key is turned on, it forces the step to retract.

My problem came in that the step lock switch on the wall is wired backwards from every other switch on that panel. All the other switches are off=down, on=up. The step lock is wired so that on=down, off=up. When I thought the step lock was off, it was actually on, hence the problem. Took a lot of experimenting to figure it out, too, because I never considered a problem with the switch.

If the step lock is on, and the door is opened (with the engine off), then the step will slide out as it's supposed to, and stay out even when you close the door. So far, so good.

The confusing thing is, if you open the side door while the engine is running and the step lock is switched on, and then shut off the engine while the side door is still open, the step will extend when you close the door, and the only way to make it retract is to start the engine again. Barked my shins on that darned step more than once before I figured out what was happening.

So, now I just always leave the step lock switched off except at a campsite where I won't be starting the engine again until I'm ready to leave.

Does this help you any in figuring out what's wrong with yours?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Chetek , Wisconsin
This solution sounds good and I believe the step is being held open by the switch. Starting does not retract nor does any other combination I try. I can only manually push the step in and it comes out on demand. But will not retract by itself.

WI Denny
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Since it doesn't retract on engine start, I suspect something either in the retract mechanism or wiring.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Chetek , Wisconsin
Well good news the snow finally left us in Wisconsin. Went out to tackle the step and could not get into it. So here we go again. Any other ideas would help.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinden View Post
Well good news the snow finally left us in Wisconsin. Went out to tackle the step and could not get into it. So here we go again. Any other ideas would help.
Should be possible to unbolt the whole assembly and take it inside to work on it. Once unbolted, the guts should be accessible from the top.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Chetek , Wisconsin
Found out how to inter my step unit. On a lift remove two nuts on bottom of step. This will drop the step about three inches. Remove screws on rear of unit and the operating unit all slides out.
Applied 12V and step operates fine in/out.

Now I have a electrical problem somewhere else...to be continued.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Chetek , Wisconsin
dealer spent 6 hours and conclusion was to ad a rocker switch to move the step in or out. Replaced batteries 2. Found bad fuse and installed switch. $750.00 Thanks