Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
OMG...Has anyone ever heard of this???

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

I'm not mechanically inclined, and I don't really understand most of the article, but it sounds VERY bad. What do all you experts think?

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's nothing new, and is a result of extremely restrictive emissions laws regarding diesel vehicles. All diesel truck companies are being forced to build extremely complex and expensive exhaust emission systems to comply with EPA regs.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's nothing new, and is a result of extremely restrictive emissions laws regarding diesel vehicles. All diesel truck companies are being forced to build extremely complex and expensive exhaust emission systems to comply with EPA regs.

Do we need to worry?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Do we need to worry?

The guy says the article is his opinion and he's not an expert on diesel motors. He says he keeps records of maintenance but provides no details of what that entails, the fuel used (which we've had fun discussing in another thread), etc. He goes on to complain about high shop rates at MB dealerships and repairs at those dealerships that ended up being unnecessary. He finishes with a recommendation that people buy American made commercial vans.

IMO, this guy is miffed at MB and is recommending folks buy another brand without providing a lot of evidence against MB. He might have a case against the dealership he uses, but that's about it.

In summary, I'm not going to lose 1 minute of sleep over this. There are tens of thousands of MB Sprinters in service worldwide and if there was some "fatal flaw" in their design I think we would have heard about it long before this guy came along.......
Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
IMO with all these highly complex diesel emissions systems, modern diesel vehicles will end up being less reliable long term versus gasoline vehicles.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
[QUOTE=lamato;1856251]Do we need to worry?[/QUOTE

In a word, yes and no; clear as mud?

A quick caveat; I'm not an expert, but loves a great diesel.

Let me explain; yes the articles writer is right in everything he stated, however as MB has been building these DEF systems, they have been making many year to year or even mid model year changes fine tuning the systems, so yes if you owned a 2007-2008 model year, you could expect significant problems versus a 2016 model year.

Does buying a 2016 guarantee you less problems? No! How the emissions systems perform depends a lot on what type of fuel used and load. I've heard that MB only allows 5% biodiesel maximum in their trucks. If the fuel you use is from a sketchy source, it may degrade the emissions systems efficiency and or cause it to fail completely.

Lets face it most commercial drivers, especially couriers are not easy on their vehicles, with vehicles being driven with a heavy foot. Dumping a lot of fuel into a cylinder guarantees some of it will be unburnt diesel, which use to mean a puff of black sooty smoke but now means the emissions systems has to work really hard to clean it up before it goes out the tail pipe.

The biggest concern I would have, is possible lack of parts support in future years; as some of these parts could have had been assembled into very units, only to be changed for a better part mid year. The truck may look the same on the outside but be very different on the inside.

Maintaining your Interstate, using a quality fuel with maybe an appropriate conditioner, drive with restraint and as reduced vehicle weight as possible will help reduce, but not nullify possible future emission problems.

Just remember, fluids are cheap; change your oil at 5,000 miles as sludge seems to be your engine and emission systems worse enemy.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Owning 47 Sprinter's makes you a bit of an expert in my opinion. Reason #37 why I love my T1N.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
IMO with all these highly complex diesel emissions systems, modern diesel vehicles will end up being less reliable long term versus gasoline vehicles.
Not just your humble opinion, but many others, including myself.

Diesel is going through now what gas went through in the 70's with the switch to unleaded fuel and catalytic convertors.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The good news is that if parts availability becomes a problem in 10-15 years, most of these systems can be bypassed with software updates.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
The good news is that if parts availability becomes a problem in 10-15 years, most of these systems can be bypassed with software updates.
You mean VW software updates?

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
OMG...Has anyone ever heard of this???

Quote:
Owning 47 Sprinter's makes you a bit of an expert in my opinion.

He doesn't drive them or work on them, he just pays for them.......
Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
On that note, diesel powered vehicles still don't require emissions testing in Texas, even in air quality nonattainment counties. A re-registration safety inspection for our Interstate costs me seven bucks every year because there is so little to it. Presumably those expensive and tricky emission control systems were added to the NCV3s as conditions of sale, but curiously, they don't appear to be required for lawful operation, at least not in Texas.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
On that note, diesel powered vehicles still don't require emissions testing in Texas, even in air quality nonattainment counties. A re-registration safety inspection for our Interstate costs me seven bucks every year because there is so little to it. Presumably those expensive and tricky emission control systems were added to the NCV3s as conditions of sale, but curiously, they don't appear to be required for lawful operation, at least not in Texas.

Same in Maryland - diesels are exempt from emissions testing.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Mount Washington , Kentucky
They haven't fixed it yet. Got the DEF fill warning at a bit over 7000 miles and filled it up within 19 miles. Next time out the warning did not reset, after an additional 15 miles the warning changed to a "xx Starts Remaining" countdown, a few miles later the warning changed to another countdown with a larger number. Eventually the countdown disappeared, replaced by the CEL. Dealer had to reset and charged me for it, claiming I didn't fill it soon enough. I wrote a letter to the Benz dealer, cc'd Airstream and Airstream Dealer to cover myself if this happens every time.