Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Oh No - Big Mistake

I was just adding a half a bottle of blue stuff to our emptied black tank and I accidentally dropped the cap into the tank. We have an extended 2013. I know this is gross, but I put a glove on and reached down there. I could feel the bottom of the tank, but couldn't find the cap. Does anyone know what I should do now?

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Can you find another cap for bottle? But can you not otherwise just fill black tank with water park sideways on a hill or raise tires on levels, with discharge side down hill. Then take off cap and pull lever and watch out. Hope cap may flow out?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Plastic cap? I think you will be okay. If you can think of a way to find the cap do it. Be careful not to loose anything else in their in the search for the cap. The real danger from dropping a foreign object into the tank is damaging the seal on the dump valve. If you do not find the cap my thought is to fill the tank up pretty full, drive it a little ways, and then dump at at a spot with a good low dump station. Probably wash the cap right through. But I would close the valve carefully for a while to guard against slamming it against the cap if it shows up in the valve.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Hopefully, the cap is small enough not to cause an obstruction. It should (eventually) flow out with the contents of the black tank.

Suggestion: Switch to the black tank chemical that comes in little packets. You simply throw the whole packet down the toilet--nothing to drop by accident, as you can take one packet out of the envelope before getting near enough for anything you might drop to go in. Works for a clumsy old lady like me.

Caution: Don't buy more than you will use in the near future. I've found that the material used to contain the chemical powder deteriorates in storage. The packets come apart in the envelope. Walmart carries the stuff, so you can buy as you need, even on the road.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I think Interstates have a macerator. That lid may plug it and cause the fuse to blow. When I had my '14 Interstate EXT the macerator got plugged with a paper towel or some product other than toilet paper. I removed the macerator and pulled the offending "product" out with long needlenose pliers. Good luck with this one, Laura!

Dan
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Oh No - Big Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I think Interstates have a macerator. That lid may plug it and cause the fuse to blow. When I had my '14 Interstate EXT the macerator got plugged with a paper towel or some product other than toilet paper. I removed the macerator and pulled the offending "product" out with long needlenose pliers. Good luck with this one, Laura!

Dan

Yes, it does have a macerator. I measured the cap and it's 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I would remove the first flexible pipe that I can downstream of the black tank. There is a flexible pipe immediately before the macerator, but there may be one before that. There may a piece of flexible pipe before the black valve, and if so I'd remove that one. Then run a hose into the black tank (through the toilet) and hope the water will flush out the plastic cap. I don't think the black tank flush line (by the macerator hose) will flow as much water as will a hose direct into the tank via the toilet. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I would get the dealer's immediate advice, particularly if you are still under warranty.

Not sure where the macerator unit is, relative to the holding tank, but yes the cap might really screw up the macerator blades/mechanism.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Woo hoo!!!!!! I got the cap! I tried one more time to reach down there, and I got it! Thank you all, once again, for all your help. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate you being here.

Laura

Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Woo hoo!!!!!! I got the cap! I tried one more time to reach down there, and I got it! Thank you all, once again, for all your help. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate you being here.

Laura

For the future, I'd cast another vote for the dissolving packets. Toss in and you're all done. Easy peasy.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Heroic!

The guy who dropped a fork in his black tank may want to call you?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...nk-146797.html

Tanks!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
And here I refrained all morning from bringing up that fork thread 😎

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

For the future, I'd cast another vote for the dissolving packets. Toss in and you're all done. Easy peasy.
Or don't open the toilet valve until after putting the chemical in the toilet bowl. Then flush.

Very lucky! Otherwise some disassembly required.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

The Airstream service people advised us against using the packets. They said there's a chance they wouldn't dissolve completely and might cause a problem with the macerator.