Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
North to Alaska!

It is decided. We are taking the AI to Alaska this summer. Let the planning begin. Already ordered the 2018 Milepost and the Alaska Benchmark. Contemplating a hitch mounted carrier and a Battleborn house battery. Our charger is the new one that has a charge profile for lithium. Since we won’t be sitting in one spot long I don’t think solar will be needed.

We plan not to micro-plan this trip. Go where the road takes us. Close up the house ang go. Return when we feel like it.

All input is desired and welcome.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Here is a good travelogue in a 144 Sprinter. Happy Travels!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your decision to do Alaska. We have wanted to do it for a number of years now, but there has always been something in the way. We will be following your thread closely.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
Here is a good travelogue in a 144 Sprinter. Happy Travels!
Thanks, should be good reading.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Will definitely be following this thread. I have relatives up in Haines that I haven't seen in years and figure it will be a great trip up and back.

Alaska tips:

- Bug repellent with Deet (make sure you're not allergic!).
- Cook outside your van whenever possible.
- Bring clear packing tape. Works wonders in a pinch for windshield and headlamp cracks (you'll likely get both).
- Tire patch kit. It can be a long wait for Roadside, better to patch it yourself and move on to the closest town.
- Lots of spares (fuses, hoses, belts, fluids, radiator patch kit...stuff that will help get you from the middle of nowhere to somewhere).
- Waterproof tape, because leaks happen.....
- Tarp (because laying on the ground to fix something...in the rain....sucks)
- Foul weather gear. Alaska is lush and green for a reason....
- Bring a sense of humor. At some point, you're going to need it.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We went to Alaska last year with plans like yours. We had a general route in mind but no reservations or set plans. We did a mix of boondocking and campgrounds. I love the fact that no reservations were needed!!. Soldotna was very busy in Early August as I remember and that would be the only place where reservations might be needed. The Kenai peninsula is busy also in August with all the fisherman. There are two “city” campgrounds, one in Homer and one in Seward both on the ocean. They’re big and first come first served. People move in and out all the time so you should find a spot if you’re there in the morning.

We loved our trip! I did do some planning but honestly there are just not that many roads so you’ll run into most things anyways. My husband does a blog if you want to get some ideas for what to do. Travelwiththeslowskys.com. We were there for 2+ months. Have fun!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Congrats! You may have seen this already, but if not, here it is, Interstate-style:

TOP TEN LESSONS FROM AN OFF-GRID MONTH ON THE ROAD
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Congrats! You may have seen this already, but if not, here it is, Interstate-style:

TOP TEN LESSONS FROM AN OFF-GRID MONTH ON THE ROAD
Did you take the Yeti on this trip or was that afterwards? How is that working?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
We went to Alaska last year with plans like yours. We had a general route in mind but no reservations or set plans. We did a mix of boondocking and campgrounds. I love the fact that no reservations were needed!!. Soldotna was very busy in Early August as I remember and that would be the only place where reservations might be needed. The Kenai peninsula is busy also in August with all the fisherman. There are two “city” campgrounds, one in Homer and one in Seward both on the ocean. They’re big and first come first served. People move in and out all the time so you should find a spot if you’re there in the morning.

We loved our trip! I did do some planning but honestly there are just not that many roads so you’ll run into most things anyways. My husband does a blog if you want to get some ideas for what to do. Travelwiththeslowskys.com. We were there for 2+ months. Have fun!
Oh! I’ve heard of you...reading your blog now. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Will definitely be following this thread. I have relatives up in Haines that I haven't seen in years and figure it will be a great trip up and back.

Alaska tips:

- Bug repellent with Deet (make sure you're not allergic!).
- Cook outside your van whenever possible.
- Bring clear packing tape. Works wonders in a pinch for windshield and headlamp cracks (you'll likely get both).
- Tire patch kit. It can be a long wait for Roadside, better to patch it yourself and move on to the closest town.
- Lots of spares (fuses, hoses, belts, fluids, radiator patch kit...stuff that will help get you from the middle of nowhere to somewhere).
- Waterproof tape, because leaks happen.....
- Tarp (because laying on the ground to fix something...in the rain....sucks)
- Foul weather gear. Alaska is lush and green for a reason....
- Bring a sense of humor. At some point, you're going to need it.
Good start on the list. I will take all that and more I am sure. I am the consummate planner and disaster avoider.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Congratulations, you will like your trip.

Having lived in AK and traveled the AlCan x4 I can say it is worth doing.
AK is too big to take it all in.
Try and pick a “region” then explore it.
Spare tire or good repair kit and pump are a must. Although I have not had a flat up there, its good insurance on desolate roads.
Extra fuel is also a good idea depending on your milage you get?
Just remember this if you see wildlife. AK is the only state where you step out of your vehicle INTO the food chain where you are no longer at the top.
Bear spray is a must if you want to walk around.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
...... My husband does a blog if you want to get some ideas for what to do. Travelwiththeslowskys.com. We were there for 2+ months.
I took a look at the blog. Great. One photo caught my eye. The TV and TT were covered in mud. And looking at the TV, it looks like you have Rock Tamers or such at the rear bumper. They didn't help much?

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Did you take the Yeti on this trip or was that afterwards? How is that working?
Oh yes. We've actually taken it THREE times now (edit - I mean, taken it back and forth to northeastern Nova Scotia from Houston) - once in the floggin' minivan and twice in the Interstate that the 6,000-mile minivan trip inspired us to buy.

I am particularly satisfied with this Air Forums thread which describes the whole meal-dragging process from its 2014 birth as a tentative thought experiment to its realization in 2016 and refinement in 2017.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
Bear spray is a must if you want to walk around.
You'll have to drive through Canada. Get the bear spray with the bear's picture on the front. This one. The sprays that do not have the bear's picture are not legal in at least some provinces and perhaps the entire country.

They will specifically ask you at the border if you are carrying any pepper sprays. Reply, "Yes I have the one with the bear's picture on the front."
Old 03-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oh yes. We've actually taken it THREE times now (edit - I mean, taken it back and forth to northeastern Nova Scotia from Houston) - once in the floggin' minivan and twice in the Interstate that the 6,000-mile minivan trip inspired us to buy.

I am particularly satisfied with this Air Forums thread which describes the whole meal-dragging process from its 2014 birth as a tentative thought experiment to its realization in 2016 and refinement in 2017.
Thanks, that is a good thread.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
It is decided. We are taking the AI to Alaska this summer. Let the planning begin. Already ordered the 2018 Milepost and the Alaska Benchmark. Contemplating a hitch mounted carrier and a Battleborn house battery. Our charger is the new one that has a charge profile for lithium. Since we won’t be sitting in one spot long I don’t think solar will be needed.

We plan not to micro-plan this trip. Go where the road takes us. Close up the house ang go. Return when we feel like it.

All input is desired and welcome.

Great, done it two years ago and enjoyed every mile of the trip. Left around middle of May and starting out that time of the year, there is a pretty good chance that you will run into snow on the Alaskan HWY. They use a fine gravel to treat the road surfaces, which works great except tractor trailers do not slow down when you come along. Needles the say, when they go by, your hood and windshield get some unkind treatment.

Same goes for stretches of unpaved roads, though the A-HWY is generally all paved. However there are at times long stretches of construction with little or no speed reduction and again you will get treatment from heavy vehicles. There are other roads just like it, especially if you venture north of Fairbanks.

Lost one windshield and the paint job on the hood took a good bit of suffering. So my recommendation; invest your money in a hood bra. They sort of look odd but it's well worth the investment and you can take it off again when you get back home.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkagi View Post
Great, done it two years ago and enjoyed every mile of the trip. Left around middle of May and starting out that time of the year, there is a pretty good chance that you will run into snow on the Alaskan HWY. They use a fine gravel to treat the road surfaces, which works great except tractor trailers do not slow down when you come along. Needles the say, when they go by, your hood and windshield get some unkind treatment.

Same goes for stretches of unpaved roads, though the A-HWY is generally all paved. However there are at times long stretches of construction with little or no speed reduction and again you will get treatment from heavy vehicles. There are other roads just like it, especially if you venture north of Fairbanks.

Lost one windshield and the paint job on the hood took a good bit of suffering. So my recommendation; invest your money in a hood bra. They sort of look odd but it's well worth the investment and you can take it off again when you get back home.
I will look into that protection.

We have a graduation to attend on 5/31 and will depart immediately after that.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I drove up to Alaska in 2014 and got two stone chips in my windshield. Both were on paved roads from gravel trucks. On near Fairbanks and another near Anchorage. Also got one from same source in Colorado a few years ago. Plan to get windshield damage - its very likely to happen.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
T minus 14 days. Preparation is about 95% done. I am sure there will be scrambling around on the last day before we leave but that is normal. Fuel prices are going to be high but what can you do?

I will be posting to our not very complete blog at tincampers.us
Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We are going to AK in mid July. Have ferry reservations in Haines on 20 August and Juneau on 23 August but nothing definite otherwise. Bought the Milepost and two other books and checked out a Fodors from the library and have been busy identifying things to do (and not do). Lots of fishing, which does not interest us. Bought an Alaska Toursaver coupon book. It should pay for itself several times over on 2:1 deals with many of our planned activities. Planning to stop at Jasper and Banff on the way back. On my last trip (30 years ago) I got a chip in the windshield in Minneapolis but nothing else - go figure. Been through Titus top to bottom doing all the PM I can think of. Plan to do an oil change just before we leave.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote