Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Oddly enough they haven’t been an issue at all. Saco, MT was another story. Went out early to the washroom and never made it. They nearly carried me away.

They should be showing up soon! Getting warmer brings them out.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Your pictures are making me even more anxious to start our trip; alas we cannot leave until 21 July. Amazed at the number of bears that you saw. We are planning one or more glacier-viewing boat trips (suggestions?) and have reservations for the long bus tour in Denali. Would you do the Chicken side-trip over again? Write-up in Milepost left me wondering if it would be worth it.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Your pictures are making me even more anxious to start our trip; alas we cannot leave until 21 July. Amazed at the number of bears that you saw. We are planning one or more glacier-viewing boat trips (suggestions?) and have reservations for the long bus tour in Denali. Would you do the Chicken side-trip over again? Write-up in Milepost left me wondering if it would be worth it.
I’ll let you know on the boat tour tomorrow. We are doing the National Park one in the morning.

There isn’t much to see in Chicken but it is a pretty drive.

We saw four bears today including a cub. These are the first ones in Alaska that we’ve seen. Lots of moose and eagles.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
The boat tour was the highlight of our trip amongst many other highlights. We took the 6 hour National Park tour and saw it all. Whales, sea lions, seals, sea otters, birds of all types not to mention the glaciers and snow capped peaks. We chose the Kenai Fjords Tour Company. Book it on line and save about $20 each or on the dock to make sure of the weather. We had a picture perfect day.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
A second round of photos from Seward to Valdez. Not everything but all I could get uploaded on this slow wifi here in Valdez.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3XSuXkF8Cva1nrJt6

Enjoy.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #106
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Wow! All photos were great, but the photos from the boat are amazing!

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Thanks, it’s hard to really capture the beauty. Hard to know where to look, it is everywhere.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I agree with WACHUKO - that particular one reminds me of those photoshopped or computer generated ones that looks almost too perfect & just unreal. That one deserves to be enlarged & framed!
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I’ll have to see which camera was used on that photo. Hers is a Sony P&S, mine a Nikon D3100. The greens here remind us of Hawaii and when next to the snow is very striking. None of these photos were edited at all. Uploaded right off the SD card.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Hers is a Sony P&S, mine a Nikon D3100.
Big Nikon fan here. Going back to Nikkormat days, my first real camera, so easy to use coz it's 100% fully manual with "center-the-needle" speed/aperture system that have to line up
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We left Valdez this morning. Clearly our favorite spot. In Glennallen we saw our first Airstream Class B. We believe it was a Parkway model. Dearly gray with graphics and no roof rack. We waved. They waved. Happy days!😂. We also saw our first bull moose of the trip. No antlers but very large compared to the cow next to him. He also had a beard.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Planning a trip.
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
classic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Re-activation of this thread reminded me of the issue of crossing the border with certain devices in one's possession.

Here FYI is my latest love note to Canada Border Services Agency. There is nothing in the law that says this type of measure is required, but my intention is to make their job easier and also to provide a type of affirmative defense for myself in the event that I'm searched.

Historically, I've tried crossing the border with legal devices that had no explanation attached to them. However that still arouses suspicion because they don't know whether I'm knowingly importing an allowable device, or whether I'm actually ignorant of the law and I just got lucky with my choice of device, in which case I may be ignorant of the law in other areas, if only they went looking for more. At times this has proven to become a time-sink. Better to just offer the information pro-actively.

I took my device, wrote out an explanation as to why it is legal in Canada, and bound that love note directly to the device such that they'd have no option but to see the note in the event of a search.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will tell you that there is NO WAY I would travel to Alaska without the device ziploc'd in this explanatory burrito.

Outstanding ! I want to be like you 'Interblog' !

Everything is way more complicated than it has to be.
Have a good one !
Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
Outstanding ! I want to be like you 'Interblog' !

Everything is way more complicated than it has to be.
Have a good one !
It worked, last month. Simplified things considerably.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We’ve not had any problems at border crossing. Be polite, answer questions in as few words as possible. Make eye contact. Be polite.

We are back in Whitehorse, YT with a fuel filter problem. Had to bypass a trip to Haines. Trying to locate a new filter.

Did you know the word Canada derived from an ancient dialect and loosely translated means “land with little wireless “. 😁
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Hope you can find a filter fairly easily.

I bought one with me, along with sevaral other spares (EGR, belt, a few sensors and fuse box). Probably overkill, but if I had managed to source a MB water pump in time also it would have certainly saved time.

Hope you are at least staying in a nice place while looking.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Do you know when the filter was last changed? Wonder if it is overdue, or if fuel quality leaves something to be desired.How did you know you needed one - water in fuel warning, power loss? etc. I ordered a spare to carry with me. My theory is that a filter will last a long long time if you have good fuel, and that bad fuel will ruin a new filter in no time.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:39 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Good reminder for me - I believe we carry a fuel and oil filter but I need to verify it, and I need to add water pump to that list.

I plan to get our rig checked out by Sprinter of Clear Lake prior to my next departure. If I have a lot of parts in hand and they find something wrong, they can replace a la carte from my stash without having to charge me their own outrageous mark-up. At least that's my hope.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:35 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:

Did you know the word Canada derived from an ancient dialect and loosely translated means “land with little wireless “. ��

I didn't know many of our Western states were actually part of Canada. Now it makes sense.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Additionally, I was inspired to reach out to the ONE Mercedes dealer in the entire province of Nova Scotia, just to touch base and ask them if there's anything I should know regarding service logistics. I haven't had to seek service while on the road up there, but there's always that chance, so it's worth having a name entered in my phone. They were like, "Oh yeah, this time of year we get a lot of Sprinter-based RV travelers and we're the only place that can handle them." Sometimes they have to have parts overnighted from Montreal or Toronto, but they keep the more common ones in stock (like fuel filters).