Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Non-stop clicking inside coach when engine is running

Starting two days ago, I'm getting a constant steady clicking noise inside the AI. I think it is emanating from the mysterious place where the awning sensor buzzer is (not sure how to access that area on a GT). By that I mean it is near the sliding door. So, no, it is not anywhere near the electronics cabinet behind drivers head and nowhere near the electronics under the jack knife chair in the back. That eliminates the BIM, the inverter, the Victron solar charge controller and the funky SBS164 solenoid. It's not the overhead fan or the water pump either.

If I just turn the ignition key to ON there is no clicking. As soon as the engine starts, and as long as the engine is running, I get about 2-3 clicks per second. Luckily, it is barely detectable above 60mph but I try to stay off freeways most of the time.

Anybody know what is happening? We leave Maine tomorrow for our 4000+ mile return journey to Oregon and I don't want to go barking mad. Tick, tick, tick.

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
When mine does that, it's because the awing is slightly extended due to vibration or whatever. All I hear is the ticking noise. My wife,on the other hand, can actually hear in the frequency range of the awning alarm and it drives her crazy. If not for the wife, I would be wondering the same thing you are.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When the engine starts, the step tries to retract. Your step is not indicating that it is retracted. Could be a switch problem or could be something like a pebble blocking the step from going full in.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
The things that come to mind since it only happens when engine running are the relays involved during/after starting engine, getting in a loop and not disengage - starter relay? The DRL relay, I think engages during start but I am not 100% sure
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Good guesses, but

1) we have no awning at the moment. It got removed two weeks ago and that will get replaced tomorrow am. Hmmm.... maybe once it gets installed the clicking will go away... maybe the wires for that sensor are getting sporadic contact... will know tomorrow. Good suggestion.

I resist having the Airstream dealer dive into this on an open credit card basis. I've already seen how they like to bill for things.

and
2) the step retract ?. We have seen how easy it is for the step to have difficulty fully retracting or extending due to trapped stones etc. and are extra diligent and aware of what is needed for it to work properly and always look to see if it is having issues... not the case in this instance. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Problem solved itself

We got our awning installed today and once they wired it up the incessant clicking when the engine was running.... stopped. So thanks everyone for pondering this one with me. Still no clue as to why it waited two months before acting in this fashion, but hopefully the condition will not return.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Tronadora - Did you go to Prime Motors in Scarborough? They're a 5-rivet dealer and where I take my GT for service etc. I really like their service and even though I didn't purchase there, they've treated me very well.

BTW, doing almost the opposite of your trip: NH to OR and back via a circuitous route (bypassing Houston on reading IB's traffic description).
Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
We got our awning installed today and once they wired it up the incessant clicking when the engine was running.... stopped. So thanks everyone for pondering this one with me. Still no clue as to why it waited two months before acting in this fashion, but hopefully the condition will not return.

TRONADORA - Wow, that was fast repair, considering all the bad reports we read about.

The awning extend enable relay is hooked to MB engine-running signal. They should've disconnected the Wht/Rd from the relay located in RS behind locker. If the awning was disconnected just from control module near outside entry plate but relay still gets power from MB, maybe it was going crazy looking for a load? Some relays may do that if they see a weird load, especially in my MY that has one leg of relay being fed by Firefly extend signal. Good that all fixed.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-AV8R View Post
Tronadora - Did you go to Prime Motors in Scarborough? They're a 5-rivet dealer and where I take my GT for service etc. I really like their service and even though I didn't purchase there, they've treated me very well.

BTW, doing almost the opposite of your trip: NH to OR and back via a circuitous route (bypassing Houston on reading IB's traffic description).
RC-AV8R - Yes Prime Motors in Scarborough.
Alex - You're a wealth of information on that score !

Actually, I had phoned ahead in late July. They had a 2week backlog (wow, normally I have to deal with a 2month wait) and I had ordered the new awning way ahead as well. Was supposed to all happen around August 21. Our awning showed up three days later than the trucking co. announced though, and it was black instead of white like on the invoice (*!&@^#%). So Prime removed our old awning and did some other misc. service while we waited. Then off to explore the Maine coast. Fiamma busted out a new one right away and Prime Motors got us back in for a while you wait install. Very nice.

I'll update my Fiamma frustration post with this and more information soon.

RC-AV8R - I'll PM you about your/our trip, maybe we can help each other with rough road warnings or recommended spots to visit.