Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Noises! Help...

Anyone else have an abundance of noise coming from the fan? I’ll replace it just to not listen to it creak and moan for most of the trip. Anyone have a fix for it? I haven’t been able to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from exactly yet. Plastic, metal closure, I just don’t know.

I haven’t looked for an answer yet in this one either, but how about an adjustment for the windows? We have one that sticks out just a little but seems to be leaking a little air too.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Bathroom fan? Main coach ceiling fan? You said plastic, so I'm assuming you are not talking about the engine cooling fan?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
For the windows, I'm assuming you're referring to the crank-out ones. The gasket that seals the window when it's closed can come out of its little track and prevent the window from closing all the way. Try cranking the window all the way open so you can see the gasket and then push the gasket back into the track.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
[QUOTE=Hawk-ination;2318511]Anyone else have an abundance of noise coming from the fan?

Fan noise:

It’s difficult to help without more info ~ what year ASI?

What I can share from our experience is the ceiling fan, located just behind the driver’s seat, was changed by Airstream on all ASI units in 2018. I’m embarrassed to say I don’t recall from “which” manufacturer to “which.”

Anyway, the new fan (Dometic?) is the same fan used in the AS trailers. It is noisy, sits higher in the roofline of the coach and does not contribute to a quiet interior environment while underway (or parked). It’s a crummy design with limited sealing.

Temporary Solution:
On our current 2018 ASI which we purchased about 1.5 months ago, we duct taped all around the leading exterior horizontal edges of the fan for this extended road trip. Remarkable difference and with temps around 15-25 degrees F, we don’t think we’ll be using the fan anyway. We are just happy to not listen to the noise from this inferior product.

Our long term solution is to source a new fan of the previous design from the original supplier in the 2014.5-2017 ASI’s...or create a positive gasket seal and possible roof scoop if necessary.

I’m unsure your ASI year, but you might also want to zip up to hour ASI roof and physically inspect for damage or deterioration of you don’t have a 2018-19 unit.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Anyone else have an abundance of noise coming from the fan? I’ll replace it just to not listen to it creak and moan for most of the trip. Anyone have a fix for it? I haven’t been able to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from exactly yet. Plastic, metal closure, I just don’t know.

I haven’t looked for an answer yet in this one either, but how about an adjustment for the windows? We have one that sticks out just a little but seems to be leaking a little air too.
HAWK - since you have a 2014 Interstate assume you are talking about noise from the MaxxAir Deluxe fan. Here is link to a post on the Sprinter-Source Forum from 2017 that I used to lower the noise of my vent fan.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=55

Good Luck - Happy New Year!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Our magnetically attached vent covers can help reduce noise while underway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132946231471

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry everyone, I was in the land of limited cell signal and my posts were not coming through. It is the fan behind the driver/passenger seats. It creaks like there is plastic rubbing on something. Yes, it is a crank out window that is open a bit. I will check the gasket when it is out of storage again. Thanks for the heads up. And yes, a 2014.5 Lounge.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
All great suggestions. I like the magnetic vent cover as it’s an easy on and off solution. I’m going to try the duct tape for longer trips. Wish I could isolate the sound but it’s hard to drive with your head stuck in the vent .
Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Hijacking my own post so I don’t make the forum gods angry.
Or maybe I still will.

I’ve read there are possible issues with the Dometic controller for the AC/heat unit, and I think I’ve run into them. Ours has to cycle through the programs to kick on, you have to get it in the right time frame, and seems like it’s luck if it works.

Just a question, but should the AC unit run when you select heat? That doesn’t make sense to me but haven’t had enough time in the Airstream to figure everything out. Can someone advise if theirs works like that or not please? Thank you-
Old 03-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you’re talking about the Optional Heat selection, my AC unit runs when I use that.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
On my 2013, my a/c fan has never run when I have heat selected.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Just not making sense to me to blow air or cold air in while trying to heat it. I think we have some sort of issue. Off to the shop it goes, but maybe in June or July. Unless anyone else has any suggestions....
Old 03-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the AC + heat problem briefly on my 2014.5 Lounge. I did a reset on the thermostat and it went away for the almost 2 years I owned that coach.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #14
JC2
1 Rivet Member

Wynne , Arkansas
I had same problem in my 2014.5. As Pahaska said a reset fixed problem for a couple of years but have had to do reset a couple of times.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Our 2019 had a horrible squeak.Turned out to be one of the blinds was not clipped into it's mount. Since day one, we had that squeak. Galley module? Nope. Screen door? Nope. Ottoman? Nope. it was the metal spring loaded clip that holds the blind. Someone at the factory did not clip it in. Makes me want to go the the Jackson Center factory break room and tip over someones chocolate milk. It is amazing such a minor oversight can cause MONTHS of misery for someone else. You would think THOR makes these! Oh. Wait a minute. They do.
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
If your mean is spilling someone’s chocolate milk, I think I want to be your friend! Thanks for making me laugh and I feel bad for doing so over your misery.

Amazing how those little annoying squeaks can just drive a person batty! That would be an amazingly hard squeak to find! Glad you did figure out what your problem ended up being.

If you miss it, feel free to come over. We’ll shove your head up in that fan opening and go for a nice drive and you can help me find my annoying little squeak!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Airstream Interstate has 198 different squeaks and rattles, and for more than four years in a row and more than 100 thousand miles I have been eliminating them one by one and one at a time. Though still have some anyway )))
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Airstream Interstate has 198 different squeaks and rattles)
I find that most of my rattles are from the contents of the cabinets and drawers. I have never had any significant squeaks in either AI.

With the glove compartment right over the front wheels, I have had a lot of noise from there until I padded the hard surfaces. Same for the top compartment on the dash. Stuff likes to bounce in there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I find that most of my rattles are from the contents of the cabinets and drawers. I have never had any significant squeaks in either AI.

With the glove compartment right over the front wheels, I have had a lot of noise from there until I padded the hard surfaces. Same for the top compartment on the dash. Stuff likes to bounce in there.
Your AI was probably build by more precise technicians )))
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our most annoying, and difficult to fix, squeaks come from connection between cabinets and the wall and/or one cabinet to the next. Some squeaks addressed by trying to tighten the connection. Others addressed by jamming something into the space to force the two pieces apart.

And of course the cover to the ceiling fan that needs to be closed tighter at least once during each day of traveling. From what I can tell we don't have a lot of noise caused by drawer or cabinet content. But we do have to be sure that there are no empty hangers in the closet or they will rock against the door and/or wall during every sway.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote