Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Noise levels dissapointing

Just put 4500 miles on our 2018 AS. Took two long trips this month to break it in. Before being negative, we are super happy with many things and it has been an awesome vehicle for us.

I am very disappointed in the noise level while driving. We can barley have conversation in the two front seats and have to yell to talk to kids in the middle seats. Its all good at 60mph but interstate speeds is rough.

The fantastic fan lifts on the rear driver side and allows wind noise. I have spent several times on the roof and phone with the manufacturer and no better. Thinking about caulking it shut for good!

The sliding door is leaking air at the top front so extremely noising right at front passengers ear level. I tried adjusting rubber seal but no luck.

Anyone have similar problems or ideas to correct? Please help!?!?
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Your post does not indicate what year AI you have. Mine is a 2014.5 on a 2014 Mercedes base.

I typically cruise at 65 on the interstates; sometimes at 70. We can comfortably converse or listen to CDs at these speeds. The major causes of noise seems to be the large windshield and the side mirrors.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Under warranty, take it to a dealer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Seems like you have two issues that should be covered by warranty. As stated by John Irwin, we have no trouble conversing at highway speed although we usually limit speed to 65ish.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Is it much louder then the one(s) you test drove before buying? If so, it should be fixable.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I test-drove an Interstate, a Winnebago ERA, and a Roadtrek Adventurous RS before deciding on the Interstate.

One reason I chose the Interstate was that it was so much quieter than the others. It's quieter at highway speeds than driving my Honda— or the Dodge Durango I had before I bought the Honda! Of the other RVs I test-drove, the Winnebago in particular was akin to riding around in an oil drum being beaten on by an out-of-tune Calypso band!

The MaxxFan in mine (NOT a Fantastic Fan!) doesn't lift while driving down the highway. If I drive with it closed, it stays closed. If I drive with it open, it stays open— and doesn't add significantly to road noise. If Airstream switched to putting Fantastic Fans on the newer Interstates, they should switch back to the MaxxFans. But in any event, if the fan shroud only lifts on one side, there's a distinct possibility it was not installed correctly.

If the sliding door is leaking air, there are two possibilities I can think of: (1) the weatherstripping is damaged; and/or (2) the door isn't closed tightly. In either case, if it leaks air when you're driving, it will leak water when it rains. You don't say whether yours has screen doors, but on the newest models, the type of screen currently being used can interfere with the door closing tightly. There has been at least one other thread on that subject in recent months.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just trying to get a read on noise level compared to, say my 1983 310 turbo diesel with the 5.8L industrial diesel engine 24" away from my ear; between me and the passenger.

A bug deflector may help a bit too.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I've got a 2016 Interstate, noise it not really a problem. However road surface conditions, really do seem to affect "noise levels".
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Not luxury car quiet but definitely quiet for a van. We have no issues with it.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I have a Fantastic fan on my older AI- no issues, but it has the ‘hood’ fitted. So I can leave it open and no rain, and the noise seems pretty minimal.

But I understand the older ones are noisier in general than the new ones.
Certainly my SAAB is a LOT quieter, it is quieter at 85mph than the van is at 35mph. But two totally different vehicles also.

I would most certainly make certain there are no leaks around the doors- perhaps have someone drive while you feel for leaks?
The only problem I could see if MB decides the issue is from the upfitting from Airstream. Then you get into the ‘it’s their problem’ thing.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I suggest making actual measurements if you are able. Google “road noise control in an Airstream Interstate” to see my blog post on the subject (I’m on my phone and I cannot link). Note that we have an older Interstate and those suckers are LOUD. If your newer Interstate noise readings look like ours, then there might be something truly wrong, like some components maybe didn’t get put back together correctly during the upfit (?).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Our '16 is not bad, but I did take additional measures to cut down wind and road noise. In additional to the additional doors seals here

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1716215

I also put Dynamat in the bottom areas of the Driver and Passenger doors when I had the interior panels off to upgrade the speakers. My '16 already had sound deadening material in the doors, just not the very bottom area.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Just put 4500 miles on our 2018 AS. Took two long trips this month to break it in. Before being negative, we are super happy with many things and it has been an awesome vehicle for us.

I am very disappointed in the noise level while driving. We can barley have conversation in the two front seats and have to yell to talk to kids in the middle seats. Its all good at 60mph but interstate speeds is rough.

The fantastic fan lifts on the rear driver side and allows wind noise. I have spent several times on the roof and phone with the manufacturer and no better. Thinking about caulking it shut for good!

The sliding door is leaking air at the top front so extremely noising right at front passengers ear level. I tried adjusting rubber seal but no luck.

Absolutely NOT my experience with my '17 EXT Lounge. Mine is very quiet, as quiet as a car.

What noises are you hearing??? Road? Squeaks? Are your windows open?

Something is not right......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
2018 AI Grand Tour 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post

SwampRV - My AI experience as I near the 3000 mile mark is totally opposite. I find it to be extremely quiet at all speeds (Playing back my dash cam recordings confirm the fact). I have no issues in talking to passengers sitting in the rear seats (although I must raise my voice above normal but only because of the distance). My Fantastic fan has the shroud that allows it to be operational while driving and road noise is very minimal, so much so that I leave it open most of the time. As for the sliding door, a hefty slam seals it tight and neither my wife or I can detect any annoying wind noise ( In fact, there have been instances when I did not completely shut the sliding door and were it not for the dashboard warning, I would be driving with the door in an unsafe condition.
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #16
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi SwampRV,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you are having in your 2018 AI. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #17
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi SwampRV,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you are having in your 2018 AI. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Good going Airstream!
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Ultrasonic Leak Detector (sound)
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
I used to use an ultrasonic leak detector to locate leaks via the sound produced by the leak when I was a consultant. Think air, water and other fluids. Easy to find leaks in windshields, door gaskets, etc. while vehicle is moving. Also used a IR camera for checking the seals and gaskets - works well as long as there are temperature differences between in and out.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi SwampRV,

Thanks.
Thank you! I will
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote