Old 11-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
No Nightstand

Took the new 2019 GT on the road for first time with wife and dog last week. We have some “adjusting” from our Flying Cloud 28 Twin routine. Had to go searching under the couch in bed mode twice for book, bookmark, glasses and/or phone. So, we need a creative way to deal with those personal items that normally would go on a night stand. Considering hanging baskets from window surround; putting drawer organizer in window track and not closing night shades all the way; spanning dowel or curtain rod across hanging clothes brackets and hanging baskets from there; rigging hanging shoe bags or shelves. What do you do with stuff you need close by when you turn off the lights?

hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We have been wrestling with the same question in our FC19CB. Looking forward to the collective creativity of the group.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I have a pouch hanging from the window ledge. Holds my reading glasses, kindle, and cell phone. Not great, but better than nothing.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
HIRSTPB - Our overhead flip out night stand. Flips out from couch side or from outside the rear doors. Height easily adjusts based on length of chain you want to use. Easy removal & install. Non permanent for flexible use of rear storage. Hoping WACHUKO & PAHASKA will chime in - they have a more permanent high shelf which are much better looking & carries more serious weight, but does not remove as easily (i.e. 20 second removal )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_235227.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	326847   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_235210.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	326848  

Name:	20181101_235157.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	326849  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
(1) We installed Container Store wall pockets on either side of the aisle - two above the street side couch and one above the curb side. Items such as small baskets stick onto these magnetically. Here's the street side view:

(2) I also designed and installed under-cabinet suspended shelves of perforated aluminum, also on both sides of the rig (instructions here). They are shallow (so as to not impinge on head room) but have a large surface area and can hold a lot of stuff. From these, we also hang little containers such as eyeglass baskets. Here's a pic looking up through the bottom of one of them at an LED rope light.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Your solution looks great, Alex!

I do like IB’s wall pockets best for our tiny spaces, and may install one of those myself.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
IB, is that considered a magnetic wall shelf. Want to order one
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delores View Post
IB, is that considered a magnetic wall shelf. Want to order one
It is this one here, and it is magnetic, yes. They are held onto the side of the cabinet by 3M double-sided mounting tape because I didn't want to drill holes. Because the Sprinter body curves inward as you go upward, the one that is mounted closest to the ceiling had to be trimmed to size using a saws-all, and the edge smoothed out.

Come to think of it, I actually have four of these in the van. The fourth one is in my "front office".

Old 11-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Thanks. Many projects for the winter months. This year was spent getting use to maneuvering in the small space. Putting things down and searching for them. Grateful for the pictures and suggestions.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a bunch of Command strip mounted bins. Some of them are pretty good for holding random items. Since it's Command strips, you can change your mind pretty easily.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are a bunch of Command strip mounted bins. Some of them are pretty good for holding random items. Since it's Command strips, you can change your mind pretty easily.

Bob
UNCLE BOB - Command Strips are probably one of the best attachment inventions only second to velcro and 3M VHB and double sided tapes in general. I am a big fan, use a lot at home in areas I don't want screw holes. But recently I read that inside a very hot AI interior, these things can peel off. I personally have not had it happen coz I only have 1 in AI bath and it is holding a very featherlite loofah sponge that weighs nothing. IIRC it was PROTAGONIST who experienced the peel off. If I recall wrong person, apologies in advance to PROTAG.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I think that it was me who posted that the command strips in my bathroom that were holding a fairly light plastic bin let go when the temperature went over 100 degrees.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I think that it was me who posted that the command strips in my bathroom that were holding a fairly light plastic bin let go when the temperature went over 100 degrees.
JOHN - Aha, thanks, at least I got the first letter P correct and it was from someone in this forum. Too many forums I keep trying to juggle And apologies again to PROTAG
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Lots of good ideas. Will be heading to the container store to check out the wall pouches and baskets. Thanks for all the suggestions and photos.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I like the idea of the command strips even if they peel off once a year due to heat. While I love looking at all the ideas, I hate to drill holes because everything is still so new. I'm sure I'll lighten up on that soon, as I travel with a cat with trimmed claws. And despite my best efforts, he has managed to impact the newness of my AI. I have been putting my glasses in the window well and sleep with a small flashlight next to me. Instead of a bottom sheet, I use an oversized down comforter that I mash into all the cracks on the sides and ends of the bed so nothing falls down and it is quite comfortable, doesn't look like a neatly made bed, but I'm ok with that.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #16

7h
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
Lots of good ideas. Will be heading to the container store to check out the wall pouches and baskets. Thanks for all the suggestions and photos.
HIRSTPB - Hey, I just remembered a neat organizer system that is modular, adjustable, and usually made to hang on the top edges of cabinet doors. The main perforated board hangs over the door and the individual containers can hang in different configurations on the main board. I am thinking the way the individual containers have their own individual molded top hooks, they can actually hang on the edges of the window openings on both sides of sofa/bed, even without using the main perforated board. Don't know if this may work for your needs. They have so many different sizes & configurations. Just peruse through their site. I am almost sure Container Store had these too, last I was there. Good luck on the search.
https://madesmart.com/?section=home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91750_67000_made-smart-bath-tidy-white-hang-it-over-door-organize.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	326984  
Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
7h

HIRSTPB - Hey, I just remembered a neat organizer system that is modular, adjustable, and usually made to hang on the top edges of cabinet doors. The main perforated board hangs over the door and the individual containers can hang in different configurations on the main board. I am thinking the way the individual containers have their own individual molded top hooks, they can actually hang on the edges of the window openings on both sides of sofa/bed, even without using the main perforated board. Don't know if this may work for your needs. They have so many different sizes & configurations. Just peruse through their site. I am almost sure Container Store had these too, last I was there. Good luck on the search.
https://madesmart.com/?section=home

Interesting. Yep, that might work. Thanks for the tip, photo and link. Container Store trip this week!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
With Container Store, the possibilities are endless. My strategy:

(1) Drive the Interstate to their parking lot
(2) Buy EVERY item that looks even remotely useful to the specific need you have identified (you'll turn some heads in the store)
(3) Try it all out there in the parking lot
(4) Pick your favorites and return all those items on the spot that don't work well in actual practice
(5) Go home happy

Here's one of my favorite Container Store mini-mods - a cutlery holder above the galley. Such a simple thing, but a huge convenience. We boondock almost exclusively (no water hook-ups) and I use a lot of disposable "dishware" including cutlery. I actually don't single-use this plastic cutlery - I collect the dirty ones in a gallon zip-lock bag until such time as I can wash them and put them back into these containers. Or, if I'm really in a hurry, I might throw a few pieces out, but that's rare. Two acrylic holders on a magnetic strip above the galley. Constant feed of knives, forks, and spoons for many days until I have to wash the accumulated bag of them. Love it.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Did you buy magnets and install them? I don't think I have one single spot in my AI that is magnetic and I looked!. My walls are all leather, nothing sticks to fridge or microwave and then there's just the cabinetry.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Did you buy magnets and install them? I don't think I have one single spot in my AI that is magnetic and I looked!. My walls are all leather, nothing sticks to fridge or microwave and then there's just the cabinetry.
I installed a magnetic strip on the wall in this location (this one in the plain metal so that it blends with the aluminum inner wall of the Interstate). The magnetic strip is attached with 3M adhesive tape. Then the magnetic holders just stick to it.

I detest mouse fur. I'm very glad that we don't have any in our rig. We just have the aluminum inner skin for walls.