Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Minn-uh-sotAH accents? When I first visited Minnesota in 1968 and visited inlaws in a western Minnesota farm community I was the oddity (Hoosier). Of course they all sounded like Fargo movie casting call hopefuls to me. I talked too slow. Back then that was my impression of Kentuckians. Now, after being in Minnesota 37 years my old Speedway (Indianapolis) high school classmates think I sound funny. Now the scary thing is I recorded an out of office voice mail last week and when I listened to it I still had that Hoosier slow draw out of breath sigh. Yes, Yes! I still have it.

I revisited a Westfalia at the RV.net 4th Annual B Rally last month and was impressed. In some ways I kind of wished I bought one. They are one cool van. Hope someone brings back the new model.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
52 Weekends

I went to the Airstream company site and see they still have the Westfalia listed including their nifty 52 Weekends feature for the Westfalia. If they are no longer offering them why isn't their web site updated?

Old 06-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I went to the Airstream company site and see they still have the Westfalia listed including their nifty 52 Weekends feature for the Westfalia. If they are no longer offering them why isn't their web site updated?
They don't update much of anything on that site...they still have a "forum" that has been shut down for over a year for "updating". When new models are introduced one of the best places to see them first is a dealer's website. Colonial Airstream is one that comes to mind.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a few notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewestyguy
I'm new to the forum so bear with me while I figure out how this works.

We just bought a 2005 Spinter Westfalia, in fact we haven't even picked it up but are really looking forward to it. We've had a VW Westy for 15 yrs.

Anyhow I was talking to tech support at Airstream trying to find out how long the "coolbox" would run without being charged and then how long you had to run the generator to recharge it (we like to stay in places with no plugins)

During our conversation she said that she didn't know because there are not that many around and that all the Westys that were going to be available have been imported (not all released yet) and there are no plans to import any more. She didn't know why.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Do we have an instant "limited edition collectible"? I thought this was a great van and they'd sell a ton of them.
Just remember that the "generator" runs off of propane and, your on-board supplies of propane fuel is very very limited to a little over 7 lbs.
When I first saw this I question the A/S factory rep as to why they didn't use diesel for the generator, etc and just save the propane for the stove..HIS REPLY WAS SIZE underneath was the answer given. (I don't believe that for one minute.) The size of the propane tank is the primary issue in this case. It's just too darn small..Half way thru a weekend camping trip and I had to pull up stakes to refill.
BTW, all version of the WESTIE had the AC unit retrofitted to a much superior cooling unit. You might want to check and make sure your unit had that done..The earlier models were unable to handle the cooling requirement as found in the hotter climate. The newer A/C version are a piece of art~!
The curb side window will and does leak..A known issues.
The cool-box is just that..You either use it as a frig or a freezer but, not both at the same time. Use the overhead console to set ur temp. I love the way the wet shower is set-up. Nice.
Microwave's location is a pain in the butt. Last but not least, to climb above into the overhead bed..Don't grab the left side cabinets to pull yourself up.. IT JUST WON'T DO`!
There's alot more to like than dislike.
Almost forgot..COLD WEATHER STARTING? You got to remember to turn the starter key on and then off (when the glow plugs go out) repeat for 5 times before giving it the hard start. WORKS..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I started my Sprinter diesel on a below zero day after it had sat for over a month and it started right up with one try.