Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #29
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I'll repeat what I posted in one message above. Take time to monitor Facebook "Roadtreking: The Group" and follow Mike Wendland. He's got #1 E-trek and is in Memphis right now boon docking with the AC on last night. Per his post and then he got up in the AM and ran the engine for 20 minutes.

There are plenty of naysayers out there with all sorts of statements of engineering and data lists and rules that say the E-trek can't work. Well I've chatted for about 6 months with several owners that say they do work. But you have to know how the system operates. Drive them, run the engine, ,park them in sunlight or plug them in when parked. And best of all they have a 6 year warranty which covers the electrical system designed by Roadtrek. And yes, I've been quizzing the engineer who designed the E-trek system. He's given me some answers to my questions, but not all of them. We've discussed it and when I ask him a question I allow him the option of not answering if I am asking proprietary information or as I call it, the "secret sauce." Once I have mine in my possession he knows I will open compartments and look and take pictures and ask more questions. That's how I learned about my Interstate. Lots of pictures and questions to the factory and a log that I have with the Q+A.

As far as people coming to a campground with low fuel and then running out at the campground or wherever they are parked due to running the engine. You'd be driving into the parking lot with the "low fuel" light on so I say forewarned is forearmed. For many years I have followed many forums/blogs for motorhomes: diesel, country coach, bus and now airstream and roadtrek to mention a few. I have always found it quite interesting and many times amusing to read questions from people who have no idea of what they bought or how it works. Its all too easy to "ask" the questions on a blog rather than read the instructions. I have always been a firm believer of RTFM. Once you read the manual and you still have questions, go for it on a blog.

Last summer when I sold my custom built 15 year old Prevost bus, the buyer was a surgeon form San Diego. I asked him what his past m-home experience was. His answer was, "I think I owned a 35' Winnebago or something over 20 years ago." We discussed when he comes to pick it up in PA to give me about 6+ hours to go over and explain all the systems, etc. I told him that it includes all the manuals, etc. He showed up on the appointed morning and said he had to fly back home later than day. Could I cover everything in 2 hours. He and his friend listened as I spoke as quickly as I could and after 2 hours they drove away with it only to park it in the long-term parking lot at Phila airport. His friend flew back a few weeks later and on his way home with it called me from North Carolina that the engine had stopped on an off ramp. My first question was "How's the fuel or did you fill the tank after you left my home?" I'll let you guess what was wrong!

So yes, owning an E-trek requires some thought process and obviously its not for everyone. And maybe some common sense also, which I think is missing in many RV owners, be it a travel trailer, motorhome or custom built bus.

I too am always learning and just a few minutes ago read a post on Facebook that I never gave much thought to. When pulling up to a gasoline pump (not diesel) just turning off the propane tank is not ample safety. You need to make sure the 3 way fridge and water heaters are electrically powered off since they COULD attempt to light with the spark ignition even though the gas is off. Best way to insure that is with the main electrical switch turned off while fueling. Now I must admit, until we bought the Interstate some 10 months ago, I had nothing propane in my prior motorhomes for over 20 years so it wasn't on my radar. And I won't have any propane in my E-trek, but the message will stick in my mind for the future.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just to be clear, I wasn't diss'ing you, your informatioin or your new rig.

Just acknowledging and appreciating the perspective some of the more analytical and technical minds give here.

It's a good thing, for all of us who simply don't think that way.

I wish you many miles of happy travel. May it be everything you hope for.

Maggie

Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I'll repeat what I posted in one message above. Take time to monitor Facebook "Roadtreking: The Group" and follow Mike Wendland. He's got #1 E-trek and is in Memphis right now boon docking with the AC on last night. Per his post and then he got up in the AM and ran the engine for 20 minutes.
I'll repeat what I started my last post with: To each his own. Buying an e-Trek may be the right move for you. It won't be the right move for everybody.

I'm happy that you found something that better fits your requirements. I hope you get many enjoyable years of use out of it.

Don't take our speculation of possible drawbacks as a criticism of your decision; it's not. You don't have to waste one single minute justifying your choice to us or anyone else, except maybe your own family.

My Interest in the eTrek is purely academic; as an engineer I find any new technology to be fascinating. Doesn't mean I'l ever buy one.

In fact, I'll probably never buy another RV of any kind, ever again. Not even a newer Interstate. The one I have is fully paid for, and I'm about ready to retire. My retirement budget doesn't allow adequate discretionary funds for buying a replacement RV, ever. Unless I want to give up camping to pay for the new RV, which would be silly.

Since my 2012 Interstate is likely to last at least as long as I'm physically and mentally capable of using it, the one I have will just have to be good enough for me, no matter what new and improved RVs hit showroom floors later.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I am kind of a moderate on the propane issue. On the one hand, our new GWV Legend has the Espar diesel heat and on-demand hot water, and a NovaKool DC-only compressor refrigerator. I absolutely love this lack of dependence on propane. So, the only remaining propane-consuming devices are the cooktop and the genset. We looked hard at the possibility of specifying a diesel genset and deleting the propane entirely, but decided that it just wasn't worth the extra size and expense. The cost of a propane system is not high; the systems are mature, simple, and reliable; a tank full of propane is going to last us a long time -- so why not?

As for safety, neither of our remaining devices have automatic igniters. I also specified a convenient, indoors switch to disable the propane (it will be "off" most of the time).

I like the "all electric" approach in principle, but not enough to be a pioneer. I will be watching the experiences of the early adopters with interest. Please keep the reports coming, Bill.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Bill,
Saw that you have received your new Roadtrek over on Facebook. Looking forward to hearing your comparisons. I like my Interstate now that I've added many modifications, but I'm always interested what owners of the Roadtrek E-Trek think of that system. I'm also following Advanced RV as I was going that direction once, but they just were not ready to deliver when I was ready to buy.

I've now got 45,000 mile on my Interstate in less than two years of traveling. All the kinks are out of my unit - now I'm just wearing it out. At this rate I'll be ready for a new B-van in a few years.

Cheers,
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Costa Mesa , California
I have a 2007 Interstate with the 2.5kw propane generator. You can't hold a conversation or try to sleep with the generator running since it is way too loud. You can run the engine but you can burn $30 to $40 per day in Diesel.
I immediately added a 110W solar panel and two golf cart Lifeline batteries. You use reduce the loads in the coach to take advantage of solar so I also converted all the lighting in the coach to LEDs which reduced the lighting load from 34 amps @ 12VDC to less than 2 amps! I also replaced the propane sensor with a high efficiency unit that uses 46 mA instead of the original 76 mA. I also use my fantastic vent to automatically vent the coach whenever the temp inside gets higher than 85 degrees which is fine during daylight (solar charging) but you need to manage the load after the solar panel drops below 1 Amp output.
I can dry camp with the fan (on low), my 22" TV and my sound system for 6+ hours each night for a week without plugging in.
I installed the 2 golf cart AGM batteries under one of the dinette seats.
I only use the generator to run the microwave, toaster oven or espresso machine so the small propane tank can be used primarily for the refrigerator, hot water heater and cooktop burners.
This allows me to do far more than any Roadtrek or newer Airstream Interstate and it only cost me about $2500 to modify/add these new features which extend the life of the coach by reducing thermal cycling from day to night which beats up the interior materials, appliances, electronics, seals, etc.
I save at least $50/day in Diesel fuel and propane to dry camp with my solar/LED conversion. I've got over 90K miles on my unit since 11/07 and saved at least $3500 in diesel and propane over the past 6 years using the coach about 6-8 days/nights per month.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
OK so here is my first comparison between our Airstream Interstate and the Roadtrek CS we just had delivered. Keep in mind, we drove it home and have not been away with it. Please take time to read the comments at the bottom of the attachment.

We had considered last spring and into early summer to make mods to our Airstream: install much larger solar, add more batteries and a bigger inverter, improve the inverter control panel and add auto-start for the benny, improve the bathroom door into a double door and some other minor issues.

But we would still have a Suburban propane furnace which I quickly disliked. And the propane genny running underneath.

I estimated these costs of materials, time and labor vs the cost to trade in and we decided that this year was the year to do it. So we did.

As Protag said, to each their own. I'm not "dissing" the AI but merely providing what we found to be similarities and differences.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CURRENT_AREAS OF COMPARISON AI vs RT.pdf (80.7 KB, 237 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
OK so here is my first comparison between our Airstream Interstate and the Roadtrek CS we just had delivered. Keep in mind, we drove it home and have not been away with it. Please take time to read the comments at the bottom of the attachment.

We had considered last spring and into early summer to make mods to our Airstream: install much larger solar, add more batteries and a bigger inverter, improve the inverter control panel and add auto-start for the benny, improve the bathroom door into a double door and some other minor issues.

But we would still have a Suburban propane furnace which I quickly disliked. And the propane genny running underneath.

I estimated these costs of materials, time and labor vs the cost to trade in and we decided that this year was the year to do it. So we did.

As Protag said, to each their own. I'm not "dissing" the AI but merely providing what we found to be similarities and differences.
Very interesting comparison Bill, and I hope you'll continue to keep us in the loop on your thoughts after you've had a chance to use the CS.
Coincidentaly, on the Sprinter-Source forum another new owner has written up his thoughts on ownership of a CS Adventurous after 4 months of use. He also has the E-Trek package and is essentially saying RT's claims for it are misleading.
2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous - after 4500 Miles - Sprinter-Forum
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Thanks for the write up Bill. Appreciate you taking the time.

Keep in mind that you were comparing the old chassis vs new chassis on the Roadtrek. Some of the thumbs up on RT have already been improved by Airstream. While I like some of what RT has done, I am happy with my decision to go AI.

Probably the biggest deal breaker for me was size of the black tank.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks Bill - appreciate the detailed write-up. Since I added 400 watts of solar to my Interstate it's nearly perfect for my use. It is nice to know that Roadtrek has finally adapted the long Sprinter chassis. With over 45,000 miles on my 2013 in less than two years I could be in the market for a replacement in a few years.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks for the detailed write-up.

One deal killer for me would be the smaller A/C unit since I use mine primarily for hauling grandkids on vacation and it gets warm back there even with the rear A/C on whenever the ambient goes over 90*.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Any updates after a couple of months of experience?
Edit: nevermind, I see you've already done it on another thread.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Maine
So glad to see this forum is not strictly limited to AI vehicles; there are certainly others out there that strongly compete with the AI, and I appreciate hearing about the deliberations many of us go through when choosing which RV to buy.

In my mind, the competition at this level is between three manufacturers:
1) Airstream,
2) Roadtrek, and
3) Advanced RV.

I feel I know the AI fairly well from this forum. I am learning more about the RT from this thread. How 'bout the Advanced RV? It's about as custom as you can get: they will do anything you want, and offer lots of eco-friendly and non-propane options. Have any of you looked seriously at ARV? The upsides to ARV are:
1) Total "customizability"
2) you order direct from the factory, no middleman/dealer

Downsides:
1) mass production lowers costs, and custom implies higher cost
2) factory-direct means no dealer network; not sure what how work under warranty would be handled if you don't live within a day's drive of Cleveland OH.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptite View Post
So glad to see this forum is not strictly limited to AI vehicles; there are certainly others out there that strongly compete with the AI, and I appreciate hearing about the deliberations many of us go through when choosing which RV to buy.

In my mind, the competition at this level is between three manufacturers:
1) Airstream,
2) Roadtrek, and
3) Advanced RV.

I feel I know the AI fairly well from this forum. I am learning more about the RT from this thread. How 'bout the Advanced RV? It's about as custom as you can get: they will do anything you want, and offer lots of eco-friendly and non-propane options. Have any of you looked seriously at ARV? The upsides to ARV are:
1) Total "customizability"
2) you order direct from the factory, no middleman/dealer

Downsides:
1) mass production lowers costs, and custom implies higher cost
2) factory-direct means no dealer network; not sure what how work under warranty would be handled if you don't live within a day's drive of Cleveland OH.

Your thoughts?
If you want more info on ARV go to these to forums:
Advanced RV - Sprinter-Forum

General Discussion Forum • Class B RV and Camper Van Discussion Forum

ARV isn't as customizable as you might think. They only have one basic floor plan layout with a choice of beds; twins or lounge in the rear. However they do offer a wide variety of finish material on the inside.