Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
No Cable signal to our TV's!

While traveling the week of the World Series we decided to stop at a campground that had cable TV to watch games 6 & 7.

To our disappointment we could not get the cable TV signal to be recognized by either of our two TV sets in our 2015 AI!

The campground manager checked the signal at the cable box on a TV he had and everything there worked fine. I even rechecked the coaxial connections several times from the box to our rig. However, nothing we did worked. Every time we did the auto programming on the TVs for the cable, there were zero channels that loaded. The TV information booklet to our used 15 AI was of little use.

Has anyone had this similar issue with their unit and can give us an insight on how to resolve it next time we want to hook up and watch cable TV ?

Also, When I got into the cubby above the driver seat and tried to figure out if there were any cables that were not connected, I somehow disconnected the HDMI cable that went to the switch box that sits on top of the Blu-ray player. I plugged it back into port #2.

Does anyone know The correct port 1,2,3 or 4 that that HDMI cable should be plugged into?

Thanks in advance!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Also, When I got into the cubby above the driver seat and tried to figure out if there were any cables that were not connected, I somehow disconnected the HDMI cable that went to the switch box that sits on top of the Blu-ray player. I plugged it back into port #2.

Does anyone know The correct port 1,2,3 or 4 that that HDMI cable should be plugged into?

Thanks in advance!
The ports are all the same function but if you change which one you were using, you need to play a disc and then keep pushing the front switches until you see an image on the TV. The switch selects which input is used to output.

By the way, I threw out the cable they were using and got a much thinner, short HDMI cable. The one they had in there was massive/stiff and broke itself apart when I tried to move things around there.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Every time we did the auto programming on the TVs for the cable, there were zero channels that loaded.

By that you mean you changed the TV setting from "over the air" to "cable" ahead of the auto program?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't own an Interstate but I have looked at a few for sale and I think their antenna system is similar to the system in our trailer. If not, somebody will correct me I'm sure.

Somewhere in your Interstate is small wall-plate similar in size to an electrical outlet. The wall-plate is usually located at or near where the coax connector is located inside the Interstate. From this coax connector a cable routes to your TV.

The small push-button on the wall-plate is used to change from over-the-air reception via your on-board antenna to cable TV where you connect the outside cable to your cable TV input on the outside of your Interstate.

When the push-button is depressed a small LED illuminates. This means you're in over-the-air mode. Not only is the wall-plate activating the over-the-air antenna it's also amplifying the signal. This setting, combined with scanning for channels in the "Air" or "Antenna" setting on your TV should allow you to watch conventional television broadcasts.

When the push-button is released the LED will turn off. This setting is CATV or cable mode. In this mode you have to be connected to a cable signal from the campground attached via the external door on your Interstate. With this mode you should be able to scan for stations in "Cable" or "CATV" mode on your television.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
By that you mean you changed the TV setting from "over the air" to "cable" ahead of the auto program?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Yes, I put it onto the 'cable' setting from the 'over the air' prior to selecting auto program!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I don't own an Interstate but I have looked at a few for sale and I think their antenna system is similar to the system in our trailer. If not, somebody will correct me I'm sure.

Somewhere in your Interstate is small wall-plate similar in size to an electrical outlet. The wall-plate is usually located at or near where the coax connector is located inside the Interstate. From this coax connector a cable routes to your TV.

The small push-button on the wall-plate is used to change from over-the-air reception via your on-board antenna to cable TV where you connect the outside cable to your cable TV input on the outside of your Interstate.

When the push-button is depressed a small LED illuminates. This means you're in over-the-air mode. Not only is the wall-plate activating the over-the-air antenna it's also amplifying the signal. This setting, combined with scanning for channels in the "Air" or "Antenna" setting on your TV should allow you to watch conventional television broadcasts.

When the push-button is released the LED will turn off. This setting is CATV or cable mode. In this mode you have to be connected to a cable signal from the campground attached via the external door on your Interstate. With this mode you should be able to scan for stations in "Cable" or "CATV" mode on your television.
Thanks! Now I will have to go looking for that wall plate and switch.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
The ports are all the same function but if you change which one you were using, you need to play a disc and then keep pushing the front switches until you see an image on the TV. The switch selects which input is used to output.

By the way, I threw out the cable they were using and got a much thinner, short HDMI cable. The one they had in there was massive/stiff and broke itself apart when I tried to move things around there.
Thanks! I too found the cable to be very unforgiving and had a hard time reattaching the box back to the velcro on top of the blue-ray player!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I found the plate, push button switch and green LED light!
Appreciate the advice....now I will know what to do next time I hook up to cable to watch TV. Hopefully that will be before the Indians make it to the World Series again!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Appreciate the advice....now I will know what to do next time I hook up to cable to watch TV. Hopefully that will be before the Indians make it to the World Series again!
That plate and push button in the overhead above driver seat is the over-the-air TV Booster. It should be OFF for cable TV, see page 5-21 of your owners manual. Clip from manual attached.

Your problem sounds more like a cable disconnected. If the previous owner was using a satellite TV receiver the connections for Cable TV could be disconnected. Page 9-38 in your manual is a AV Schematic - it shows the TV Cable routing from the exterior connection. Clip of key part attached. It's worth checking your cable wiring before doing anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Booster.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	275133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable TV Hookup.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	275134  

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I'd recommend that you hook a cable to the RV to verify that fix since on earlier models the push-button switch w/ the green LED is for the OTA antenna amplifier and has to be ON (illuminated) for the TV to receive an OTA signal.

There was a pigtail coax that was used when using a satellite system. Since I didn't have a sat system, never figured it out.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
What year is your interstate? Ours is a 2014. It has a plate in the front overhead cabinet next to the antenna booster switch. The plate has 2 coax connectors on it. To use cable, there should be a jumper piece of coax connected to both.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
What year is your interstate? Ours is a 2014. It has a plate in the front overhead cabinet next to the antenna booster switch. The plate has 2 coax connectors on it. To use cable, there should be a jumper piece of coax connected to both.

Fairly certain that jumper has been used since 2010-2011 Interstates. It is farther forward on same panel as the TV booster. It was on diagram I posted earlier. Here is annotated version.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478743071.168404.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	275143

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Sorry, missed that!
Our jumper was poorly crimped and fell apart. Check for a good connection.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #14

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
We had the same problem and it was a change in the TV settings in our 2011 Airstream, 25' FC. Next time go to settings with the remote control and find where it says to source from external???. I do not remember the exact setting but that was how I fixed the same issue.
EvanR is offline   Reply With Quote