Old 09-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Newbie to rving

My wife and I just purchased a 2013 Interstate ext yesterday from a dealer in south Florida. It was a used one with only 3600 miles on it. The walk through went well and off we went. We asked them to install valve extenders on the rear wheels so we could check and fill the tires at our local gas station. We thought we were being so clever. So today we thought we would grab a coffee and visit a local park 6 miles away and park in front of the lake for a relaxing morning. What we didn't realize was that the outside rear extension valves had become loose and the tires were loosing air to the point of the left rear becoming completely flat. So much for our relaxing coffee. We learned the hard way. Always check your tire pressure before starting any journey. We took out the air compressor under the front passenger sheet and we were able to get the tire up to 50 psi before the air compressor died because of heat. Enough to get me to local tire shop. Two questions. 1. Does,everyone use valve extenders? 2. How do you fill the rear outside tires with air if your local gas stations don't have air compressors that can handle duelies?

nesoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the land of Airstream Interstate owners. Personally I use my air compressor at home to fill the tires. I did have to buy a new tire gauge and a new chuck for the compressor in order to fill the rear tires.

Check the Interstate mods-I'll go first thread for discussion regarding extenders.

Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by nesoutlook View Post
Two questions. 1. Does,everyone use valve extenders? 2. How do you fill the rear outside tires with air if your local gas stations don't have air compressors that can handle duelies?
I use rigid valve extenders. The ones for the inner tires are straight. The ones for the outer tires have a J shape, so they face out, too. That lets me air up anywhere.
Wheel Masters: Valve Extenders

I also added a "spare air" extension hose for my spare tire, that lets me check the pressure and inflate as necessary without crawling underneath. I attached it to the bumper on the passenger side.
Spare Air Tire Inflation System

These do not leak on mine. However, even with valve stems that do not leak, your tires can be expected to lose anywhere from 2~5 psi per month. So it may be worthwhile to invest in a portable compressor as well. You'll also find a compressor useful when you need to blow out your water lines for winterizing. Here's the kind I have:
8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote