Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Newbie to RV -- Interstate Grand Tour EXT

Thank you for this great source of information, very helpful. It is decision time. I am semi-retired at 60 living in Miramar Beach, FL. Never RV'ed, camped or traveled by car/van/truck much. Always air with after 30 years I hate. Always wanted to RV so has my wife.

After studying everything from forums, FL RV super show, several visits to the Airstream Dealer and reading the entire owners manuals; We have to make a decision. Airstream Interstate, Flying Cloud 25 Twin, Winnebago Era 70A.

I can buy a new 2016 Interstate Grand Tour for 10,000 to 15,000 less then a 2017. I am thinking that is the way to go even though it is $22,000 more then an Era. The whole trailer thing scares me a bit. I had a small boat some time ago and my trailer skills are questionable and don't really want to buy a truck to hail trailer.

Please provide your feed back, I have procrastinated long enough. Thank you.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I am curious why you have chosen the Airstream interstate. I find them small, and with insufficient headroom. More power to you, not looking for justification, just rationale, before I point you to some other amazing airstream models like the 396XL, the classic motorhome, or the Skydeck.

Also, are you handy? Regardless of the age of the motorhome, it's like a boat. Every single time you go out, something breaks.

Cheers!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Well, we bought a 2016 GT-EXT at the Tampa RV show in 2016 - and have loved it every day since! Just went to the 2017 Tampa Show and there is very little difference in the 2017 that would make us trade up. We have camped over 125 days in our new "home," going all the way from KL Fla to Cape Breton Nova Scotia -- 63 day trip and never once wanted a bigger vehicle or a hotel. Travel with wife and two small dogs -- have outfitted the AI with everything for every season and just had her weighed -each axle- and we still have some 300 lbs to spare! This is an incredible vehicle, allows one to go into even the busiest cities (like NYC) with easy and no worries. We have a Jeep Wrangler JK but have not yet towed - take our bikes instead and see no need to tow. When it is time to re-stock for food, etc;, we just drive to the nearest Fresh Market or Whole Foods and fill up our fridge and freezer! (One great reason to buy a 2016 - separate fridge and freezer; although some folks say they want a larger fridge (thus the change in 2017) we find we love the freezer and take our "extra" milk and such and freeze it until ready to use for more flexibility and less time shopping! Go for it and buy the 2016 -- if you have the option for the air-ride suspension go for it too - it is the only thing we do not have that we think we might have liked! Enjoy ... PM me if you want more or to talk firsthand!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Vycan, thank you for your question......

Vycan:

Your question is fair. I would love to answer it and it will benefit me as a therapy of sorts. If I were to be honest with myself, the absolute right thing to do is NOT to buy any RV at all. Hassle, expense, problems, and frustration. But I lie to myself all the time, so why not now at a stage in my life where I need a hobby be different. I digress from your question.

I LOVE great brands with a cult type of history. Airstream and Harley Davidson fall into that category. Quality or the illusion of quality is something I always seem to gravitate towards. Brands like Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Bentley and Aston Martin come to mind. The task of research prior to making a business decision is part of my enjoyment of finally purchasing the product is a must for my ultimate pleasure. This leads to buying some overpriced, new vs. used, well known brands that become enjoyment as well as somewhat a trophy of accomplishment in my life.

I have more than a working knowledge of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. If ones choice is a Class-B motor home, which can be used around town and as a RV I gravitate to Mercedes. I also love not just the history, legend, quality and look of the classic Airstream. So much so that my wife and I have a piece of art work in our great room showing a classic old AirStream in our living room. I have zero confidence in pulling an airstream trailer due to my experience pulling a small boat. I have negative zero confidence my wife would ever do it. So the next best thing was the Airstream Interstate (AI) Grand EXT. My wife drove it and had no problem with handling this vehicle. We both HATED that this very expensive class-B only sleep 2 but we are both almost 60 years old. My wife HATED how small the AI was and wanted more room. But we both loved one RV, all the comforts of home, no pulling a trailer or a car. Not perfect at all, but nothing it seems in the RV world is perfect.

So we were looking for a little help with our concern so we found a Winnebago Era 70A. Seemed to have two single beds vs. the fold down couch, the Airstream with two single beds only legally can seat two. The ERA also had a way to sleep three, and a couple of other interesting difference. So with a pull behind airstream trailer almost ruled; having to buy a new tow vehicle due to towing capacity, and the Winnebago Era being much less expense, an alternative might have been found. Then my research went into high gear and I did a very detailed product comparison on every line item. Spent two hours with the Airstream and Winnebago corporate product representatives at the recent Florida RV Show in Tampa plus YouTube, Google search, Airstream/Winnebago corporate customer support, detailed reviews of both brochures, download and full reviews of both the units owners manuals, download and full review of the aftermarket add-ons (GPS, land change, blindspot, side/rear camera’s, side airbags, headed windshield, awnings, warranty Ect. The decision was for $15,000.00 more, the Airstream won almost every category.

My wife was the holdout until we talked to a local 80 year old couple with a 2016 AI who just came back for a 8,000 trip to the west coast. They agree size was an issue but the put that aside and LOVED their airstream. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Hope that gives you my reasoning. Thank you for asking and appreciate having to put pen to paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
I am curious why you have chosen the Airstream interstate. I find them small, and with insufficient headroom. More power to you, not looking for justification, just rationale, before I point you to some other amazing airstream models like the 396XL, the classic motorhome, or the Skydeck.

Also, are you handy? Regardless of the age of the motorhome, it's like a boat. Every single time you go out, something breaks.

Cheers!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My opinion? Get the AS interstate.

If your wife will drive it, that alone is the reason.

Parking and backing a trailer are not for everyone, and if you and your wife both feel comfortable using the interstate then I think that is the right answer for you.

I have not done the physical comparison between the various AI layouts and such, but as long as you feel you could
A both sleep comfortably
B shower and dress
C fit in essential things to bring along
D think it will be fun

Then what's holding you back?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, if you buy at a good price, avoiding the 2017 mark-ups, and then you find it's not for you, you can re-sell it without losing much.

That was the rationale that my husband and I defaulted to in our final decision. In our case, we were buying lightly-used, and we figured that, if it turned out not to be for us, maybe we would lose 5 grand on the resale, plus Texas sales tax because we were doing it all above-board (not registering it in a tax-free state), so maybe 8 grand realistically.

Compare that to the price of a married couple taking maybe two trips by air. I'm from eastern Canada which is hellaciously expensive to get to by air. Plus they have a short season for tourism so costs of rental car, lodging, etc. are sky high. Two trips almost accounts for that 8 grand, even with fuel costs taken into account.

The net result being, if we even used the Interstate for a short while and made a couple of longer trips before reselling, we just would not expect to lose much money on the deal. So it became easy for us to take the plunge.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gainesville , Florida
Things do not break EVERY time you go out...and unlike a boat, there are hardware stores on every corner, Mercedes dealers for the messy stuff and cell phones to track down help when you need it!!
Degre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gainesville , Florida
First Airstream

We put 35000 miles on two different Roadtreks before moving to a 2017 AI in Dec. We love the compact size of Class B.

GO FOR IT>>>NOW.

You will have lots to learn about your new magic machine and "camping"...but there are lots of kind and interesting folks you will meet along the road who will share their knowledge and adventures with you!!
Degre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Charleston , South Carolina
i would pay the difference without reservation to get the better vehicle, and you will need the better headlights/foglights in the AI. The 2016 head unit takes a while to master, and you will likely want to take the van to a quality stereo store and replace the 1978 Chevy Chevette door speakers that Mercedes installs. Get yourself an OXX coffee brewer. I'm happy to discuss my experiences further if you want. Just let me know. I wouldn't buy the AI without the air suspension.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Panama City Beach , Florida
We have a 2016 AIGT, love it, love it!!!! The best thing about it's size is that I can drive it and as a matter of fact, I can get in and out of tight spaces, even DH says that I have it mastered!!
We are small yet powerful, great gas mileage and great conversation starter and another best thing is that we are so 'stealth'.............
Take out your tape ruler and put your finger on 80 (average length of life), then put another finger on the number of your age, notice how much length there is between both fingers and you will find that it is shorter than from the 1 - 80, time is a wasting, take the plunge and enjoy it now!!!!
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Thank you for this great source of information, very helpful. It is decision time.

I can buy a new 2016 Interstate Grand Tour for 10,000 to 15,000 less then a 2017. I am thinking that is the way to go even though it is $22,000 more then an Era. The whole trailer thing scares me a bit. I had a small boat some time ago and my trailer skills are questionable and don't really want to buy a truck to hail trailer.
Get the Airstream Grand Tour as it doesn't sound like a trailer is a good fit.

Be careful on purchase price and make sure you do your home work. It is easy for a dealer to hold closer to MSRP on a 17 and make the 16 LOOK like a great deal. Reality may be that neither price is where you should wind up.

If you want, you can share what they have offered you and let the forum help out.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #12

Tukwila , Washington
This is my first post but I felt compelled to reply to your question. I too am in my early 60's and a single woman. My first Airstream purchase was a 2013 Airstream Interstate, not the extended one. I had been looking and researching for two years. After owning the Interstate for two summers I upgraded to the 2016 Grand Tour Ext. in June of 2016 due to safety features, screens and split bed. My reasoning for the Interstate was how long the company has been established, quality and I liked the look of it. Didn't really want the kitchen cabinet look. Yes it's expensive but I've been at the same job for 31 years and I'm ready to experience more and want the security of a well made vehicle.

Yes I've had some bugs to work out, a leak under the fridge affected a breaker and ruined some of the wood trim. Come to find out through this forum that it's happened to others. It's not convenient to bring it to the shop but I'd rather have the repair done properly and keep my rig in good shape.

For me I thought the only downside would be not having a vehicle after I've parked but I find that I like having my AS with me when I'm out and about and by the end of the day I've done what I want to do and ready to stop for the night. Hooking up is so easy, and with it being so self contained many times I just plug in, don't hook up to water and there's no need to deal with the septic.

Yes you can drive anywhere but you should park a bit away from the crowd to make it easier to get in/out. I don't think there's a perfect rv out there but so far in my appx 3 yrs of ownership I am happy with my choice. I did look into towing but am not really comfortable with doing so. If I find myself missing having a car I will look into it but would rather have less to worry about.

Here's hoping that you have an adventurous 2017.
catcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Our logic was simple. We committed to a two year experiment. If we didn't like it we would be out two years depreciation and a bit. When we looked at that "potential loss" the price tag began a non issue. Year 1 is behind us with over 20K on the clock and our enthusiasm for has only grown. We still love it and look for excuses to go somewhere. And I'm not retired.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My advice for first-timers is to rent one like what you're interested in and take a trip for a week. If you like it then it only cost about 1% of a new one and you know you'll like it. If not, then you've avoided a north of $100,000 mistake. Judging by the amount of current model year used ones on the market, more than a few folks made that mistake.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I initially looked at Class C (Sprinter) RVs. Yes, lots more room inside. but also much larger, lower MPG and the 'camper' portion is entirely made by the third company ( could be good or bad)
I liked the full MB body, smaller size and better mileage and manuverability.
Some freinds recently got a class c- my take is it is better to camp, ours is better to travel. Always a trade off.
It is older (although superb conditon with super low miles) but I have not had problems with it at all.
I'm average height/weight and it is fine for size (wife is smaller). A larger person may not like it very much.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thank you everyone for your posts......

You all have been wonderful. Let me summarized what I read. Buy the 2017 and enjoy life. Life is to short so buy good quality. That about sums it up. Let me give all of you a progress report and some background.

For over 30 years I have been one of the top Automotive Authors, Consultants, Facilitators and Trainers in the country. I have spoken at two state RV conventions and the National Automobile Dealers Annual meetings many times. The subject was sales, management, leadership and executive education. I share this not to attempt to impress you but to establish fact.

I am NOT impressed with MOST of the RV dealers, dealerships and especially sales consultants I have met. They simply don't know their product knowledge nor are they good listeners. So what that leads me to do is use my years of experience to internalize the product knowledge I can verify. In addition, I very quickly learn their costing, hold back, incentives from the factory as well as customer incentives. All this would NOT have been needed if SOMEBODY would have simply shot me straight from the beginning. I am a pushover until I get disappointed when I change to being very direct.

The markup in an Airstream Interstate is approximately 30%. You take the actual sticker price provided by airstream NOT the Dealer and minus the destination cost which usually is approximately $1,350.00. You than divide the balance by 1.30 providing dealer cost. Finally you add back in the delivery cost for as close to dealer cost as possible. Then you add in the dealer profit. Some dealers have played the game of adding in $1,000.00 for PDI, this is to pad the price so one MUST insist on the AirStream Sticker NO the dealer print out.

If the dealer was a professional, I am the first one to pay a fair profit. If they tried to play games, I have zero tolerance and let them know I will drive to California to get the price I want and mean it. If the Interstate is stickered at $161,200.00, dealer cost is approximately $125,000.00 for a NEW 2017. After many disappointments out their over the past week, I offered five dealers, $124,500.00 for units in their inventory for over 6 months due to them having huge floor plan expense. They all turned me down but somebody will take that price and bump it a bit.

I hope what I just share is informational. I mean no offence. I just don't like buying expensive things for folks I have a hard time believing in. My Two Cents ONLY. Thank Folks, you are all GREAT.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Gary, I applaud yor research and your insistence on getting a fair deal. I learned my lesson in 2015 when I bought a 16' Bambi from local dealer, and had not researched and was "taken to the cleaners"!

This dealer again, was ready to do the same, when I decided to upgrade to my AI GTX 2016. That encouged me to shop nationwide and ultimately got a TERRIFIC DEAL @ VOGT RV in Ft Worth, Texas. My experience was great there. I highly recommend them.

Good luck in your search. I love my AI, and at age of almost 78, made my first trip to PNW coast...last fall...just me and my little chihuahua. Had a great time and look forward to many more trips in my AIGTX in my future.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
sthrngary sounds like you have a good handle on it. I do think you may be shooting a tiny bit low though. If a dealer can sell a unit to another buyer at a higher purchase price, they may opt to wait.

My dealer didn't want to work with me on price much at first either and got better prices elsewhere. Eventually convinced them. I knew I would have it serviced there and told them that I really wanted to buy from them and ordered my AI.
They finally agreed and I ordered my 2015 in March of 2014 and got it in May 2014. It was the first customer unit off the line behind 3 Airstream show Interstates and has been excellent.

These vans are a lot of fun, Good luck
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Agree with Ron... seems like any dealer would wait a long, long time to at least not lose money selling the motorhome. You might be waiting quite a while for a dealer to agree to lose $500 selling you a current MY motorhome. We did the same calculations and agreed to pay about $4k over dealer cost - we liked our salesperson, as wells as the sales manager, and a ~3% profit seemed fair.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thank You For Your Response.....

Let me clarify my statements so I am not misunderstood. All businesses deserve to make a fair profit. For that profit they have to provide something other then the product I desire. Especially when that product is north of $100,000.00. Whether that is a video taped delivery sent prior to actual delivery, responsiveness with follow up especially with the service department or an extremely well educated sales consultant that knows their stuff. These are the value activities that drive any consumer to pay a premium.

You indicated you found a sales consultant that you liked, a premium is warranted. I have not found that individual as of yet. I found a great RV dealership with an even greater RV sales consultant in Iowa but they sell Winnebago's. I want an Airstream Interstate. What I did find was an Airstream Sales Consultant that told me they had to get a window sticker directly from Airstream, lie. That all dealers charge $1,000.00 to the consumer for PDI, Lie. That a defective seat was on order, lie. I also found Service departments that did not pick up the phone for five calls over a three day period.

I want to admit I made a mistake, I offered five Airstream Dealers $124,500.00 for a new Interstate with Sticker from the factory that were $160,000.00 Approximately. Two of the five accepted because of the exterior color of white. Silver and Black have over $1,500.00 added cost for paint color because all Sprinters come to AirStream first as white.

Both of the accepted offers wanted to charge for one thing or another so I turn them both down. No value, no communication, no sale. What most everyone does not know is that when a vehicle of any sort is on the lot for more then four months, the dealer has to start paying big interest on it. That is the magic time, it is called floor plan interest. That is when anyone can find the deal of the century.

Remember, I have NO problem paying a fair profit, just want some service to go along with it. Thanks for hearing me through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Agree with Ron... seems like any dealer would wait a long, long time to at least not lose money selling the motorhome. You might be waiting quite a while for a dealer to agree to lose $500 selling you a current MY motorhome. We did the same calculations and agreed to pay about $4k over dealer cost - we liked our salesperson, as wells as the sales manager, and a ~3% profit seemed fair.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.