Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lantana , Texas
Newbie Q

Just picked up our AI Lounge 2013 this past weekend. No issues until today. I hooked up shore yesterday battery fully charged. Drove it 8 miles. 8 hours later the battery is dead. Got home (8 miles back) battery 100% just went out (3 hours) and the CO2 alarm is beeping because of a low battery.

Besides a potential bad battery is something possibly draining the battery that fast?

Thanks,
Ken

Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Lots of things could be on to drain the battery. Tank heaters are the biggest power draw. Invertor powering AC (TV's etc.) would draw some. Having propane valve on draws a little. So does the refrig. So does the radio. But none of these will drain good batteries in 3 hours. Start by turning off the main 12V disconnect and making sure the tank heaters are off (on mine they are not run through the main disconnect). Then see how long it takes for batteries to drop. If they drop from fully charged to low in 3 hours you likely have bad batteries. My solution was to be anal about making sure all unnecessary power is off and upgrading to 200 W solar. After doing this I have never dropped below 80% over a 24 hour period. Solar during the day and some driving during the day makes up for 24 hour refrig usage and lights at night.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Tank heaters won't come on above 40*F IIRC.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasm3 View Post
Just picked up our AI Lounge 2013 this past weekend. No issues until today. I hooked up shore yesterday battery fully charged. Drove it 8 miles. 8 hours later the battery is dead. Got home (8 miles back) battery 100% just went out (3 hours) and the CO2 alarm is beeping because of a low battery.

Besides a potential bad battery is something possibly draining the battery that fast?

Thanks,
Ken

Check for loose battery connections from the battery all the way to the inverter terminals. A loose terminal can look a lot like a dead battery sometimes. Hit a bump, the battery is fine ... hit a bump, the battery is dead. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Battery replacement is probably in your future

Soon after we picked up our used 2011 AI last fall, I realized that I failed to do research on the "syndrome" of the house batteries being damaged while sitting on the dealer's lot. We replaced ours within a month of ownership. Knowing what I know now, I would negotiate new house batteries on any used Airstream Interstate. This vehicle is a great roadtrip and tailgate vehicle but boondocking off grid is not one of its innate capabilities without significant solar and battery upgrades.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lantana , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
Check for loose battery connections from the battery all the way to the inverter terminals. A loose terminal can look a lot like a dead battery sometimes. Hit a bump, the battery is fine ... hit a bump, the battery is dead. Good luck.
To get to the battery I need to remove the rear seat? That's what I picked up on searching the forums. The owners manual is worthless.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasm3 View Post
To get to the battery I need to remove the rear seat? That's what I picked up on searching the forums. The owners manual is worthless.

Thanks,
Ken
Easy to remove. 4 bolts under the seat. It helps to recline seat to about 45 degree angle to get to all the bolts. Protag posted on the forum awhile back on the exact details.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
If you have the Interstate Lounge Ext, then you don't have to remove the seats. Access is though the back on the right hand side (curbside), 5 or 6 little phillips head sheet metal screws on the box.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lantana , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
If you have the Interstate Lounge Ext, then you don't have to remove the seats. Access is though the back on the right hand side (curbside), 5 or 6 little phillips head sheet metal screws on the box.
I will check that out thank you.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Same on the 2013 non ext lounge.