Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Just saw an add for these chains ... wow they make it look simple! Wonder what it's like in practice?
Thule Easy Fit CU-9 T418 Tire Chain for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales
Just took a close look at these chains as I need a set when traveling in western mountains this fall. But these Thule Easy Fit don't seem to be available for tires on our Sprinters. Oh well they are sure easy to install. I've had to install chains three times on other vehicles to get through snow covered mountain passes. If you don't have chains you can't get through the pass when chain-up rules are applied.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Chain terminology:

For HD dual wheel chains, you would require what is termed as "triple rail" chain assembly.

Each inner chain "rail" requires attachment as snug as possible and then the outside rail is cinched with the built-in camlocks or other slack eliminating device. (bungee type, etc)

This type of "Triple" chain can be mounted over the wheel/tire assembly after getting stuck and is the transport industry standard where winter conditions exist.

"Triple Rail Chains" for lighter vehicles would probably be by special order only. (most lighter duty vehicles do not have the clearance on the inside of the dual assembly for safely mounting this type of chain. contact your OEM for detail)

On this site we are talking "RV" and we should generally not encounter severe winter conditions except in emergency situations. "Triple Rail Chains" for Dual Assemblies for an RV would be overkill.

For RV winter equipment, cable chains are light and easy to store. They will not stand abuse and are not something you can repair easily on the road, so if you are going to encounter winter condition on a regualar basis, carry an extra set.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #17

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
When the "global warming/climate change" crowd get done, you'll need chains.
More like flotation gear and sails.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post

On this site we are talking "RV" and we should generally not encounter severe winter conditions except in emergency situations. "Triple Rail Chains" for Dual Assemblies for an RV would be overkill.

For RV winter equipment, cable chains are light and easy to store. They will not stand abuse and are not something you can repair easily on the road, so if you are going to encounter winter condition on a regualar basis, carry an extra set.

Dave
You are on the "Sprinter and B-Van Forum".

Our Airstream Interstates are Sprinter vans that are more than just the typical RVs. We use them for ski trips and often travel in winter conditions. I just got back from a week in Minnesota. Didn't stay in the van -- too cold at 19 below zero.

The trip was for family events and to haul back some furniture. These Sprinters are very versatile. I have a cargo floor I can lay over my fold down bed in the rear of van and then have a king sized bed area to haul cargo.

Chains are not allowed in Minnesota since they know how to keep the roads clear. But if you travel in the mountains when is snows you will need chains.

Agree a set of suitable chains will do. Don't think I need dual chains. Thule does sell other self tightening chains for vans and pickup trucks.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
As I posted above, cable chains are really the only option for most RV's as they are light weight and easy to store. The trade off is longevity.

If you are not familiar with cable chain installation, this video will show you just how easy it is.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...eZYqwlgUUE#t=2
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
This thread makes me so glad I live in a part of the country where they don't even know how to spell tyre chanes much less what they are and what they are used for.
Hi, me too! But I have traveled to places where I should have had them. [tire chains] I have probably bought ten sets of tire chains and only used a few of them, a few times. I just bought another set because I plan on going to Oregon soon. Will I use these? Maybe.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Haha - I watched that video twice and still didn't see how the chains are attached!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
SECURITY CHAIN web site Security Chain Company, SCC Tire Chains, Security Chain Co | Peerless Industrial Group and if you go to INSTALLATION INFORMATION they have a series of videos on the various types of chains. As for longevity, I've used them on H1 Hummers, all 4 wheels while plowing snow and traveling on highways. I've used them on Skid Steers, all 4 wheels while moving snow, Chevy pickups at highway speed on the rear tires, small dual wheel dump truck with dual chains on back and single chain on front and currently use it all 4 wheels on a Bobcat Skidsteer for snow removal. Yes, I've worn thru the cable-chain-spring on the Bobcat, but after about 4 years. And I got replacement parts and repaired them. Still using them today, repaired.

Installation is no fun in the snow unless you have something to lay on the ground unless you prefer to get snow-covered or wet. BUT they are not difficult to install once you know how. If you are technically challenged, pay someone else to do it for you.