Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Prosper , Texas
Newbie here...been lurking and reading...solar install question.

Hey everyone I've been lurking around the forums for a few months now and I've read quite a bit and most of the modifications forum and I've gotten a few good ideas from them. I have already switched out the head unit and already installed a manual grey tank drain and I switched the batteries to to 6 volt lifeline. My next task is to install some solar at the rear on the roof. I have other plans for the front half of the top so I'm trying to find a route to run the solar cables from the back 3rd of the vehicle down to where the controller will sit underneath this Sofa.

Any ideas on the best route to run this?

Fyi we have a 2013 lounge ext.

Love the forum....soooooo much knowledge on here! Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Rover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Solar install

I placed two panels at the rear, one in the center and one at the front. They should be similar panels I believe. So I removed the junk panel airstream installed. The combiner box is between the two vents on the driver side about half way down the vehicle. It allowed me access above the shower. Then ran thicker 6 gauge wires down to a new Victron solar charger.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Prosper , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
I placed two panels at the rear, one in the center and one at the front. They should be similar panels I believe. So I removed the junk panel airstream installed. The combiner box is between the two vents on the driver side about half way down the vehicle. It allowed me access above the shower. Then ran thicker 6 gauge wires down to a new Victron solar charger.
So you ran new wires from combiner box on top.. back to under sofa? How big of a PITA was that?
Rover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
The painful part was all the scratches I got doing it by hand. I learned and got better. Make a fish out of a clothes hanger. To get the wire around the bend in the shower use two magnets. Put one in a sock so it doesn’t scratch the shower. The bigger challenge was trying to clean up th rats nest of wiring airstream installed under the seat and finding a place for a shunt. I removed the terrible solar charger airstream installed and put a Victron in. This required re making the electrical panel. The end result was awesome. Now batteries stay fully charged, I know how much power is going in and out, know how long the batteries will last and can do that all from my phone. It’s totally worth it. Why airstream didn’t do this in the first place is beyond me. The difference in component pricing is about $150. Doing it after the fact is a bit of work.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Routing solar on a 2013 ext Lounge

I took the closet apart so I could see the roof struts and ran it down that way.
I first tried where the HD antenna, patio and rear camera come in - bad idea!

I used both VHB tape AND SS screws to mount the roof top equipment. BTW, I also installed a port near the now not used battery vent that allows me to use a couple of 100w portables when parked in the shade.

Someday I'll find my pictures of the whole DIY project (350w on roof & 200w portables).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180406_115359.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	333616  
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
Thumbs up