Old 02-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Here's my two cents worth.

Last July we spent some time at Perdido Key in Florida and then three days in New Orleans. We were camped in RV parks on shore power both places.

While we were in Florida, we kept the thermostat set for cooling while we were fooling around on the beach. We kept the window shades down and a windshield cover in place. Our coach kept a comfortable temperature for us.

One day in New Orleans we forgot to set the thermostat when we left for the morning. We got back to the coach in the mid afternoon and wow, was it ever hot! It was over 100 degrees inside. It did take two to three hours for the temperature to get close to being comfortable. We learned our lesson. The key is to get it cool in the morning and keep it that way through the day.

Without shore power it would be difficult and annoying to keep it cool for more than a day or two using the generator.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not knowing what your "comfortable" temp is makes it hard to compare but when it's 90+ outside, rolling down the road, and 7-8 people, the best mine can do is upper 80s. My comfortable temp is upper 70s. Now the front half is very comfortable but running on recirc and max fan speed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Mr Shark, when running down the road, not sure setting the AC to recirc is the best option for the rear passengers. I think it's best to set it to through-flow and open the very rear coach windows a little to get the cooled air to flow to the rear (and out).

Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'll give it try next time. The problem I foresee is when not on recirc, the chassis A/C is sucking in hot, wet air and the temp drop may not be as great as when recirc but maybe not. Worth a try.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
The other issue with recirc is that the AC condenser can freeze up after prolonged use resulting in degraded cooling. If I remember correctly, mine will only remain on recirc for a limited time (perhaps 30 minutes) to avoid the freezing.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If your condenser is freezing up, you may want to get the refrigerant charge checked as that's a symptom of a low charge.

I forget the physics behind this phenomenon but that's what my A/C told me.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #77
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
A lower charge means a lower pressure in the system. Lower pressure in the system means there is a lower evaporation point (temp) for the freon. The system is designed for the freon to evaporate right around the forty degree Mark. When the pressure drops, the evaporator coil temp gets below 32 degrees, which means the condensation on the evaporator coil freezes...

-Red, spewing A/C secrets...
Old 02-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Which is why automotive A/C compressors don't come on when the outdoor temp. gets down to about 40*F

Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #79
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Newbie, could really use some help before purchasing a new Interstate

Most A/C systems, automotive included, have a low pressure cutoff switch. Unfortunately, this cutoff temp is usually well below the pressure needed to reach 32 degrees F... The physics I was talking about is that when the pressure in the system gets low enough, the evaporation point of the R134a gets below 32 degrees F, which means that the freon that is now evaporating in the evaporator coil is drawing all the heat out of the air down to whatever the new evaporator temperature is...
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #80
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Sorry for the derail... I'll let y'all get back to the original topic.

-Red, two too many into it...
Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #81
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Interesting side note, they could achieve the same cooling with propane, butane, or ammonia... But who wants a butane refrigeration system sitting around just waiting to leak?

-Red, really letting it go now, seriously...
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The other issue with recirc is that the AC condenser can freeze up after prolonged use resulting in degraded cooling. If I remember correctly, mine will only remain on recirc for a limited time (perhaps 30 minutes) to avoid the freezing.

Ours was factory-set to switch over after 15 minutes. We resolved to change this during our first two hours of ownership (but have not yet found an override; until that time, we just keep manually punching recirc).

Our owners manual says that this is to guard against excessive humidity in the coach - doesn't say anything about the condenser freezing. Obviously MB had no inkling of conditions in the deep southern U.S. Every time it automatically switches over during warm weather, we are greeted by a blast of soggy air.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is set at 30 minutes. I was told that was to prevent a buildup of CO2. Most vehicles completely shut off outside air when on Recirc. My Tahoe supposedly allows about 10% when on Ricirc.