Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
Well, Inter, that does it for me. If AC will not cool, not matter outside heat, being in sun, I'm out on any class b. My trailer cools in florida sun in July. My standard is being comfortable. As much as I wanted a class b, reckon I'll have to go to Oliver trailer old win is getting and he mentioned.
GuyGene....why don't you go check one out for yourself?! Don't be so easily discouraged!

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I live in Austin Texas and camped all summer comfortably without a problem. It does not cool immediately so I wouldn't expect that. If I needed it to cool quickly, I'd turn on the engine too and use the cab A/C to help out. It was perfectly livable during the day and downright cold at night. My main gripe is with the noise as I do think it's quite loud and cycling on/off wakes me up. I don't, however, hear many people complaining about the noise so I might be alone. I talked to ARV and they use a 15,000 Coleman which is slightly larger than the Dometic that Airstream uses and apparently quieter. I was tempted to look into replacing mine. I believe ARV has much better insulation throughout too. Protagonist suggested opening the vent at the top for the hot air to disperse, which has helped his Interstate cool down faster. I haven't tried that yet, but will once it gets warm again.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
My main gripe is with the noise as I do think it's quite loud and cycling on/off wakes me up. I don't, however, hear many people complaining about the noise so I might be alone.
Yep, agreed, it is loud!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Mine is loud..
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #61
Dachsiemobile

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
GuyGene, before you write off the interstate because of worries about the A/C, we want to weigh in on our experience with the insulation and A/C effectiveness on the Interstate. We found ourselves looking at Interstates last August in Fort Worth when the temperatures were between 100 and 105. I am the biggest whiner there is when it's hot, and really cannot tolerate getting overheated. As we were looking, we went from one Interstate to the next with no AC on, and were amazed at how much cooler they were than we could have imagined. They did all have the shades down, and we have found that that makes a huge difference in the temperature of ours. We have used our AC successfully on hot days and nights, and, having put 10,000+ miles on ours now, are confident that we can stay comfortably cool on hot days and nights.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We have spent time in our Interstate when outside temperature was 106+ and we were actually too cold in the back sleeping area! We have done this both with hookups and while boondocking. The luxury of the air conditioning out weights the noise from the air conditioner and generator combined. I find it is imperative to have reflectex in the cabin windows but otherwise we have no complaints.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Air flow is very important for cooling. And when driving using the Mercedes dash AC, crack open the extreme rear windows to permit a flow of cooling air to the rear of the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I also agree that the AC will keep you cool and it is very noisy. I sleep with ear plugs if I have to run the AC at night while sleeping in hot climates.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I agree with the folks who advise that each person evaluate the cooling capacity for themselves. I was relating an RV salesman's considerable frustration that customers get turned off because they perceive that the high-end Interstate simply doesn't perform well on cooling. For that money, it should be better, is their conclusion. I don't know how other RVs cool by comparison, but the salesman did not invoke any others into his discourse.

Generic answers don't work on this one because people are profoundly different in their preferences and even in their needs (some folks have medical issues that require warmer or cooler... additionally, body mass index has a considerable impact). Myself, after living in Houston for decades and being financially conservative, I'm not happy if the indoor temperature (house or vehicle) falls below 77 degrees. I lived with the daytime A/C set to 77 for so many years that it became my new normal. MANY people, including my own husband, are unsatisfied with that. They perceive it as uncomfortably warm.

Additionally, I didn't hear anyone on this thread mention the H word: humidity. I don't think that our swamp-like conditions on the upper Texas coast are directly comparable to temperature perceptions in a place like the Sonoran Desert.

Many variables, in other words.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Georgia. Mississippi. Florida. I've lived about all over, including San Francisco where Ye don't even need screens on windows to keep flies out. East of The River ye'll need string ac. Anyway, I say again, I've had three trailers all with one roof ac and all of them got cold quick. No window covers, etc. needed. Obviously Airstreams have an ac issue or there'd be no need to be talking...
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
GuyGene, you've obviously made up your mind that there's an issue, so, don't buy one. Nothing else really to discuss. Go shop for something else. Just sayin'
Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Nope weird, I haven't made up mind yet. I still have to see one in heat with ac running to know if it'll be good enough in our summer heat and humidity. Other than my two VW CampMobiles, I've never been inside another kind of class b. I've been all over California, and I don't know of anywhere there humidity would be much of a problem. Love California. Old Town San Diego! Excellent coffee shop there. Oh me, getting side tracked on places I want to take our class b, which we don't even have yet!
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
It's probably been said but trying to cool down an Interstate that has been baking on a dealer's lot until 3 PM is a lot harder than trying to keep one cool throughout the day. You're not just cooling the air at that point, your cooling down 30 gallons of water, hundreds of pounds of cabinetry, etc...
Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
It's probably been said but trying to cool down an Interstate that has been baking on a dealer's lot until 3 PM is a lot harder than trying to keep one cool throughout the day. You're not just cooling the air at that point, your cooling down 30 gallons of water, hundreds of pounds of cabinetry, etc...
But you have to cool all of that mass down sometime. While the A/C unit is undersized but as large as it can be given a 2.5KW generator, it doesn't seem to move enuf air.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote