Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
All of these vans no matter who is the manufacturer is going to have issues.. There should be no arguing about what the vans lack we should celebrate the fact that we have these wonderful machines of freedom and all the memories they create..

I say look at them all, sit drive push all the buttons open and close the doors kick the tires. Just realize there will most likely be problems with it.. When you do finally get one they are super fun to have and go on many adventures...

Old 02-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We bought a 2013 Unity TB (LTV) and have over 10,000 miles and it is the first and only RV I've ever owned with ZERO defects. When we bought it, there were several Interstates on the floor that we could compare to the Unity. In as much as we own a 2006 Safari 25' purchased new, I made it a point to look at the quality of the Interstate and found it wanting. Price was never a consideration, however the Unity has a six month waiting list and I could sell my '13 for the same amount I paid for it.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Boys, don't bail on me now! I'm thinking Airstream ought to be a good one. I'm wanting class b, been reading all I can find online about all makes I can find. Old Protagonist down in Metatie, hey man, ye're in me neck o' the swamp, so if AC does ok for you, it ought to work for me too. I do like it cool in summer though.

I found an '05 with just 33k miles. It says 2.5 L engine, that'd be a 5 cylinder, right? Got the fever boys, me old haid ain't right since I have the class b bug.

We now have a 25' Aerolite made by Thor, our third trailer, but we've had two VW Campmobiles way back, and still long for that kind of RV.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
GuyGene: Suggest you ride in the rear of any Class B on a hot day (90*+) to determine the cooling efficiency of the rear A/C.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
73, is that you screaming out in space?

Heheheeee, couldn't resist. Ho' in back, eh? I've read about all the rough riding back there, but as long as up where Ethyl and I ride is good, I'm good. Now, when we stop, I do want me place cool though. Might have to upgrade that weak AC unit, eh?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sig is a tag line from the first Alien movie.

Let's say you're at a campsite and it's 90* and the chassis A/C is off, the rear A/C will not keep you comfortable. However the unit is as big as they can use w/ the 2.5 KW generator. Now if you only wanted to use the rear A/C when plugged in to shore power, then you could put a bigger unit on but even then I doubt you could get a unit big enuf that runs on less than 30 amps that'll do the job.

Still suggest you try out anything before you buy. And my unit only gets about a 17* drop across the A-coil and the factory spec is for 20* drop.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Thanks 73, just wha' I need to know. I'm only concerned about cool with electric plugged in, not generator. Still won't cool it, eh? Wha' I don't understand is my current 25' Aerolite trailer gets plumb cold in our southern heat. Roof AC. Aerolite is only 30 amp plug. Man, I've gotta have cool. Heat too for that matter.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It may have something to do w/ insulation.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
GuyGene: Suggest you ride in the rear of any Class B on a hot day (90*+) to determine the cooling efficiency of the rear A/C.
In another recent thread, I mentioned that my husband and I had stopped in at a local dealer to check out their new inventory of 2015s.

Upon discovering that we were existing Interstate owners, the salesman's immediate question was, does our A/C work well enough for us?

He then pretty much pitched a proper fit over the fact that the 2015s still don't have adequate A/C after all these model years during which Airstream has had plenty of time to get it right. He told us that if he intends to show Interstates to customers in anything remotely resembling the Houston summer season, he has to time everything so that he cranks up the A/C a full TWO HOURS in advance of when he anticipates a showing. Otherwise the customers are likely to say "Ugh, this vehicle is just too danged hot."

He actually encouraged us to go to last weekend's giant RV show in Houston because we could find Airstream reps there and chew them out about fixing this issue of inadequate A/C once and for all.

We did not go to that show because we were working on our video camera install, but this anecdote will give you some idea about how people in the deep south feel about the Interstate's A/C capacity.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
In my opinion, getting the a/c to cool your AI is similar to getting the a/c in your house to cool your house. If your house is baking in the sun all day, with no window shades to keep sun out, etc., it's gonna take quite a while to cool your house down from 90 degrees to 75 degrees.

As long as we take steps to avoid baking in the sun all day, our a/c works fine when we plug in. We also recognize that we are living in a freakin' vehicle. We do not have the expectation of achieving 70 degree coldness!!

We also use a fan that we set up on top of the sink, and point it towards the back at night. This seems to keep the cool air in the back where we sleep, and also helps move the air around when the a/c is off.

No complaints here.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
As I've mentioned before in another post, most of the excessive heat comes in through the cab windows. I bought a set of reflective and insulating cab shades from OutsideVan. They are expensive but do an excellent job of blocking heat and light into the cab.
If you also close the rear shades - even just the day shades - you can get the interior quite comfortable.
And I'm quite happy parked this way in Phoenix!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
As I've mentioned before in another post, most of the excessive heat comes in through the cab windows. I bought a set of reflective and insulating cab shades from OutsideVan. They are expensive but do an excellent job of blocking heat and light into the cab.
If you also close the rear shades - even just the day shades - you can get the interior quite comfortable.
And I'm quite happy parked this way in Phoenix!
Yes...that...(arrow pointing up to UKDUDE's post above)

I don't think it's fair to say the a/c sucks in the AI. I think it's more a matter of being diligent, and of personal expectations, and personal comfort level. So, sure, for some people, it's gonna suck. But for some, it works fine. I guess, if you're thinking of buying one, and you're concerned, then test one out in hot conditions first and see what you think.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
There is not much Airstream can do to improve the rear A/C with a 20 amp limitation. The unit they have is as big as you can get with that limitation.

FWIW, I've tried pre-cooling the RV before a trip for a couple hours plugged into shore power and with the rear & the chassis A/C running. Once we loaded up and got on the road, it didn't take long for the rear to become a lot warmer.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Well, Inter, that does it for me. If AC will not cool, not matter outside heat, being in sun, I'm out on any class b. My trailer cools in florida sun in July. My standard is being comfortable. As much as I wanted a class b, reckon I'll have to go to Oliver trailer old win is getting and he mentioned.