Old 01-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Maybe I got one of the good ones not built on a Monday or a Friday, but I have not had workmanship issues with mine. Is it shoddy? Definitely not. Is it perfect? No, but, unfortunately, nothing made by man is. That's why every production company in the world has a service department.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I based my "shoddy" on just looking at the rat's nest wiring every where that's hidden. A good example is under the rear lounge. Also the lack of cleanup in hidden areas, sawdust and wire/insulation clippings.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I based my "shoddy" on just looking at the rat's nest wiring every where that's hidden. A good example is under the rear lounge. Also the lack of cleanup in hidden areas, sawdust and wire/insulation clippings.
Shark,
I found a colored trim screw behind a panel in my Interstate that obviously came from another AI as the color was not a match to any other other.

Wire trimmings and sawdust were bad enough, but when I came upon metal filings that had fallen between rear door gasket and metal body, and then had started rusting...I was really miffed!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Yes that is "shoddy". It just misses the pride in craftsmanship. Loose screws, screws rolling around in hidden areas almost looks to me it is made to impress on first sight but don't look behind the covers.
I still like it doesn't mean there is no room for improvement.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
You Guys want some cheese with your whine?

I mean come on....I can understand when things don't work as expected or even wear out or break prematurely, but a bit of sawdust or an extra dropped screw.

Sounds like you need a hobby, oh wait
Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I mean come on....I can understand when things don't work as expected or even wear out or break prematurely, but a bit of sawdust or an extra dropped screw.
It does seem like nit-picking, true. But then again, can't Airstream afford to buy a shop vac? And pay their technicians for the few minutes of vacuuming it would take to clean up behind themselves?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I have tracked more than my share of dust and dirt into mine already and I just vacuum it up myself along with any stray sawdust I find.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The point is that if someone doesn't care enuf to clean up, then they probably don't give a 5hit about the quality of their work either.

Plus something that stickers north of $150K shouldn't need vacuuming.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
The roof air conditioner will NOT cool the Interstate, which is pretty disappointing.

I've had our 2014 Interstate in temperatures up to 100F. The roof AC by itself will drop the interior temperature only about 5 degrees below the outside temperature. If it's 95F outside, the interior won't get much cooler than 90F, even with a bit of shade. To keep the Interstate livable inside, you'll have to run the Diesel engine and the chassis AC in addition to the roof AC, if it's warmer than about 80F.

This sucks. The roof AC in my (previous) Airstream trailer kept the trailer at a comfy 70F in full sun when it was 105F out. In the Interstate, not even close. There's nothing wrong with my roof AC unit; I get a 30F drop in temperature of the air from the AC. It's just woefully underpowered. I wish someone from Arizona or Texas had clued me in ahead of time. I wouldn't plan on leaving a dog inside on a hot day with just the generator and roof AC.

2014.5 Interstate EXT.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The point is that if someone doesn't care enuf to clean up, then they probably don't give a 5hit about the quality of their work either.
This point has been made in previous threads. If they can't even get the littlest things right, chances are very good that they crapped out on a lot of the bigger things, too. If anyone wants to see evidence in support of that logic, I've got a growing repair thread that you are welcome to peruse.
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPAIRS
Old 01-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I "wine" a lot over and in my AI that is part of the hobby.
Just would help if we only need to take care of customizing and not fixing and cleaning up things.
I got my Trip-lite changed to Magnum in Jackson Center and guess what I found afterward when I opened the work area up even so they had me wait another hour for "cleaning up".
I still don't know any better service center and if you get to know the guys in Jackson Center you know who to ask for.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
The roof air conditioner will NOT cool the Interstate, which is pretty disappointing.

I've had our 2014 Interstate in temperatures up to 100F. The roof AC by itself will drop the interior temperature only about 5 degrees below the outside temperature. If it's 95F outside, the interior won't get much cooler than 90F, even with a bit of shade. To keep the Interstate livable inside, you'll have to run the Diesel engine and the chassis AC in addition to the roof AC, if it's warmer than about 80F.

This sucks. The roof AC in my (previous) Airstream trailer kept the trailer at a comfy 70F in full sun when it was 105F out. In the Interstate, not even close. There's nothing wrong with my roof AC unit; I get a 30F drop in temperature of the air from the AC. It's just woefully underpowered. I wish someone from Arizona or Texas had clued me in ahead of time. I wouldn't plan on leaving a dog inside on a hot day with just the generator and roof AC.

2014.5 Interstate EXT.

In a hot climate I've found the key to getting the interior cool is to block out the sun through the windows, particularly the cab windows. I have a set of reflective and insulating shades for the cab. So apart from the noise from the coach AC, I'm happy with it.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

2014.5 Interstate EXT.

I have mentioned this in previous threads many times about my dissatisfaction with the cooling capacity of the Dometic A/C. If you are truly getting a 30 degree drop across the evaporator, you're beating the factory spec by over 10 degrees.
The problem is two fold. First, the unit is only 15,000 BTU. That's just a little over a 1 ton unit. Most cars have about a 3 ton capacity. Second, the reason they don't use a larger unit is because it would require a larger generator which wouldn't fit in the available space.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

Do you leave the MaxxFan roof vent open while running the A/C? If not, you should. The standard "cold air sinks, hot air rises" really does work, and having the roof vent extracting hot air at the ceiling allows the A/C to work a bit more efficiently.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote