Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
Question Newbie Cabinet Question

Hello,

Unlike some, I'm more concerned with what's under the laminate vs. its color. What are the cabinets made of? Are they cabinet grade plywood or some for of flake board?

If they are not real wood, that could be a deal breaker for us. We don't need the hassle of screws pulling out of non-solid wood particle board. We've had that in cheap travel trailers and don't want to spend $120k on a motor home whose cabinets won't be suitable.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill_Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
What year Airstream are you looking at - different years, different materials!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
Thanks for responding!

We're looking at either a 2007 rear sofa or a 2011 lounge.

Also, do the 2007's have bathroom lavatories?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Since you're asking this on the Sprinter and B-Van Forum, I'm guess you're asking about the Interstate. I have a newer model EXT, and I can tell you all the cabinet work I can actually look at is made from multiple layers of plywood. I haven't found any particle board - so far.
I would have preferred the light colored wood as on my previous Flying Cloud, but I'm sure there's a reason Airstream went with the laminate.
I'm pretty fussy, but it looks OK to me.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Sprague View Post
Thanks for responding!

We're looking at either a 2007 rear sofa or a 2011 lounge.

Also, do the 2007's have bathroom lavatories?

Thanks,

Bill
Specifications and floor plans for previous years can be found on the Airstream web site here:
Airstream, Inc :: 2000's
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
UKDUKE,

Thanks. I am looking at the Internationals. Since it's just the two of us, the shorter wheelbase 2007 International with the rear sofa.

Best,

Bill
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
All,

We're also considering Roadtrek, Leisure Travel Van, and Pleasure Way all of which use solid wood cabinetry but they're all built in Canada.

Best,

Bill
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You will probably get more knowledge and answers over in the trailer section. As stated above, this is the Sprinter section of the Airstream form.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Sprague View Post
UKDUKE,

Thanks. I am looking at the Internationals. Since it's just the two of us, the shorter wheelbase 2007 International with the rear sofa.

Best,

Bill
I run into that all the time, people saying "International" when they mean "Interstate." Even among members of my WBCCI Unit.

As an aside, the 2007 Interstate doesn't have a shorter wheelbase. They all have the 170-inch wheelbase. The difference is that before about 2010, Airstream used the Sprinter 2500 chassis, with single rear wheels, vs. the 3500 chassis with dual rear wheels found on the newer models. GVWR is about a metric ton less on the 2500 Sprinters. If you really want the shorter 140-inch wheelbase, you're pretty much limited to the Roadtrek Agile and similar offerings.

Anyway, in answer to your querry… The Interstate's cabinetry is a solid wood laminate. It's very hard and durable, as I've discovered on more than one occasion when I've bumped my head on an open overhead locker door hard enough to draw blood.

It's not particle board with a sheet of wood-grain vinyl over it like you find on the Winnebago ERA. Though my head kind of wishes it WAS particle board, since in the locker door vs. cranium contest, my cranium would win!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

I run into that all the time, people saying "International" when they mean "Interstate." Even among members of my WBCCI Unit.

As an aside, the 2007 Interstate doesn't have a shorter wheelbase. They all have the 170-inch wheelbase. The difference is that before about 2010, Airstream used the Sprinter 2500 chassis, with single rear wheels, vs. the 3500 chassis with dual rear wheels found on the newer models. GVWR is about a metric ton less on the 2500 Sprinters. If you really want the shorter 140-inch wheelbase, you're pretty much limited to the Roadtrek Agile and similar offerings.

Anyway, in answer to your querry… The Interstate's cabinetry is a solid wood laminate. It's very hard and durable, as I've discovered on more than one occasion when I've bumped my head on an open overhead locker door hard enough to draw blood.

It's not particle board with a sheet of wood-grain vinyl over it like you find on the Winnebago ERA. Though my head kind of wishes it WAS particle board, since in the locker door vs. cranium contest, my cranium would win!
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Hagerstown , Maryland
Thank you. That helps a lot.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have a 2006 Interstate.

Our cabinets, closet door and the wooden interior walls are not particle board.

We have had no problems at all, and they have stayed looking very nice with just a modicum of TLC.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Only problem we've had is some light delamination.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Only particle board I have found in my 2013 Interstate Extended Lounge model is in the rear bed fold down extensions. These are unique to the 2013 and newer 24 foot long Interstates. See my recent post for details on issue of particle board under the upholstery of this item:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/interstate-mods-ill-go-first-92862-21.html#post1345659

Otherwise all cabinets, panels and frames are quality solid wood or plywood.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote