Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Newbie AI Questions!

We put water in our '17 AI Lounge this weeekend and slept in it for the first time for a short weekend fishing trip, and now I have some questions! I did read the owners manual and try to remember what the dealer told me when we did the walk through, but I'm still unsure about the following.

1. We didn't use much water, and only liquid went into the toilet. I did put in the black tank treatment. Is there a rush to empty it or no big deal if not emptied for a few weeks while it sits until our next trip?

2. When emptying, do you leave the black valve open when you empty the grey tank? If only liquid in the tank do I need to operate the macerator pump at all or will it drain simply by opening the valves?

3. We live in Memphis area and the 15 day forecast shows no signs of overnight freezing temperatures so I'm not going to winterize it right now. Just found an indoor storage place where it will be stored in an unheated garage. I'll keep watching the forecast, but realistically how cold do you think it would need to get before I'd have to worry? I'm thinking 32 degrees wouldn't necessarily mean a problem? Also, is there any issue leaving the water in the fresh water tank for a few weeks... how long before you think it would be "stale"? We don't drink from RV water system FYI.

4. In two trips we have put about 1500 miles on it. It looks like the DEF level is at about 50% from the electronic gauge. Is there any issue with adding DEF now just to top it off? How much does it hold? Never owned a diesel before.

5. Just curious, how long will the fridge run off the battery before you need to worry about re-charging? Does solar panel provide enough juice for the fridge?

6. The dealer told me to de-winterize I needed to turn the valve on the water heater. However (after finally finding it under the rear lounge) it looks like it's already in the correct position for use - see photo below. We didn't turn the water heater on this weekend for fear that we were wrong and that it was bypassed.

7. I'm considering a Verizon jet pack for data/wifi on the road and understand you can mount an external antenna for better signal strength. For any that have done this, how do you route the wire to the roof, and what kind of antenna did you use? I've read some reviews of the simple magnetic ones that at highway speeds the magnet isn't strong enough.

Thanks so much for your answers... and I'm sure these won't be the last questions as I continue to learn!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	280238
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
W

1. We didn't use much water, and only liquid went into the toilet. I did put in the black tank treatment. Is there a rush to empty it or no big deal if not emptied for a few weeks while it sits until our next trip?

Treatments in the tanks is a complete waste of time and money. Others will disagree but ask them how often the treat there plumping at home. No need to dump now. In fact riding around kind of helps things out.

2. When emptying, do you leave the black valve open when you empty the grey tank? If only liquid in the tank do I need to operate the macerator pump at all or will it drain simply by opening the valves?

Not having a macerator I would assume the pump should be running or the impeller may restrict flow. I would drain the tanks seperatly

3. We live in Memphis area and the 15 day forecast shows no signs of overnight freezing temperatures so I'm not going to winterize it right now. Just found an indoor storage place where it will be stored in an unheated garage. I'll keep watching the forecast, but realistically how cold do you think it would need to get before I'd have to worry? I'm thinking 32 degrees wouldn't necessarily mean a problem? Also, is there any issue leaving the water in the fresh water tank for a few weeks... how long before you think it would be "stale"? We don't drink from RV water system FYI.

Generally speaking you have to see freezing in the range below 28 degrees over night and it the day before you have to take action. The latent heat of freezing is working for you till then.

4. In two trips we have put about 1500 miles on it. It looks like the DEF level is at about 50% from the electronic gauge. Is there any issue with adding DEF now just to top it off? How much does it hold? Never owned a diesel before.

You can top off any time

5. Just curious, how long will the fridge run off the battery before you need to worry about re-charging? Does solar panel provide enough juice for the fridge?

If your frig is on gas the only electrical draw will be the control board. if you have solar then the frig should run indefinitely or till the gas runs out

6. The dealer told me to de-winterize I needed to turn the valve on the water heater. However (after finally finding it under the rear lounge) it looks like it's already in the correct position for use - see photo below. We didn't turn the water heater on this weekend for fear that we were wrong and that it was bypassed.

You valve is in the use position. Turn it off and drain the heater before winterizing.

7. I'm considering a Verizon jet pack for data/wifi on the road and understand you can mount an external antenna for better signal strength. For any that have done this, how do you route the wire to the roof, and what kind of antenna did you use? I've read some reviews of the simple magnetic ones that at highway speeds the magnet isn't strong enough.

No Knowledge

Thanks so much for your answers... and I'm sure these won't be the last questions as I continue to learn!!

Attachment 280238
Good Luck

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
We put water in our '17 AI Lounge this weeekend and slept in it for the first time for a short weekend fishing trip, and now I have some questions! I did read the owners manual and try to remember what the dealer told me when we did the walk through, but I'm still unsure about the following.

Attachment 280238
Your AI is 7 model years newer than mine so some of this may not be exactly the same. My 2 bits FWIW:
1) No rush. I empty the tank(s) when one or both is full and I empty and flush when I put it in storage.
2) Open the black valve first then run the macerator until it's empty. Then close the black valve and open the gray valve and run the macerator until that tank is empty. You need to run the macerator; the way it's designed there will be virtually no liquid moving past it if it isn't running.
3) To many variables. If you leave it at or below freezing without any heat input for a very long time it will eventually freeze and break pipes etc. If the van is in unheated storage I err on the safe side and winterize. If I'm on the road, I give a bit more leeway. For example if I'm driving the van during the day, running the heaters etc. I don't worry too much if the night temp gets a little below freezing. If in doubt I run the tank heaters. I uses enough water from the fresh tank that I don't worry about it too much. I do flush, sanitize with a little bleach, and refill with fresh once a year.
4) My AI has no DEF system!
5) Too many variables. I have a battery monitor to keep track of SOC and recharge when needed. In normal use, the system gets charged up frequently enough that keeping the refer going isn't a concern. I don't have solar.
6) The in use position is valve ON, like shown in your picture.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Oh, and...
7) I use an AT&T mobile hotspot. Works great!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One incorrect answer above

Quote:
If your frig is on gas the only electrical draw will be the control board. if you have solar then the frig should run indefinitely or till the gas runs out
This is incorrect for the AI. The AIs, at least recent ones, do not have a gas refrigerator. The fridge runs on 12v or 120v, the latter when it is available. The AI fridge has a compressor, just like your home fridge. It cools and recovers much better than the usual RV fridges.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
our 2013 has a 5.9 gallon DEF tank but no level gauge. So I always top mine off before a long trip. Not sure what you have for low-DEF inducement, but mine has a 10-starts-left countdown, and it won't start after reaching 0.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks for the replies on the DEF. The dealer acted like I would need to do it every 3-4 fill-ups, which obviously is not the case, but it had me nervous on our first trip. I'll probably go ahead and pour a jug in before our next trip to top it off.

In terms of cleaning, I have hand washed ours in the driveway twice now. However, even with a reasonably tall step ladder and telescoping wash mitt, the roof is not easy to get to and I haven't touched it yet. I'm not as worried now that I finally found a place to put it under cover when we aren't using it, but how often do you all wash the roofs of your Interstates?

Speaking of the roof, anybody put a cell phone antenna on the roof?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
We put water in our '17 AI Lounge this weekend and slept in it for the first time for a short weekend fishing trip, and now I have some questions! I did read the owners manual and try to remember what the dealer told me when we did the walk through, but I'm still unsure about the following.

If you like using Johnny-On-The-Spots in July and don't mind the aroma, then you don't need treatment. Just remember that the commode is sitting on top of the tank and when you flush, the odor can escape in to the RV. Since your home system is closed, there's no way for the odor to escape. I would recommend draining the tanks after each trip and flushing the black tank using the built-in system. If you let the solids sit in the tanks for extended periods, it becomes harder to get them out.

My DEF tank held five gallons and would last ~10,000 miles. I usually topped off before most long trips. You can get it in easy-to-use 2.5 gallon containers at Sams for $11.00 You might note the gauge reading when full.

My five year old batteries could run the frig overnight w/ little else on.

There should be a picture of the two positions for the HW bypass valve in the owner's manual.
If you are on shore power in your unheated storage, then you can use your tank heaters if there's water in them and place a small electric heater in the coach.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I'm not as worried now that I finally found a place to put it under cover when we aren't using it, but how often do you all wash the roofs of your Interstates?
I usually washed my roof twice a year, spring before first trip and fall after last trip. Used a 6' step ladder and telescopic microfiber wash mitt. Had to do it from both sides.

Washed the van after each trip but not the roof.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
DEF fill ups.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies on the DEF. The dealer acted like I would need to do it every 3-4 fill-ups, which obviously is not the case, but it had me nervous on our first trip. I'll probably go ahead and pour a jug in before our next trip to top it off.

In terms of cleaning, I have hand washed ours in the driveway twice now. However, even with a reasonably tall step ladder and telescoping wash mitt, the roof is not easy to get to and I haven't touched it yet. I'm not as worried now that I finally found a place to put it under cover when we aren't using it, but how often do you all wash the roofs of your Interstates?

Speaking of the roof, anybody put a cell phone antenna on the roof?
My servicing Mercedes dealer advised that I should top off the DEF about every other fuel fill up. Check out sprinter-source.com for some conversation on DEF fill ups. There are anecdotal stories about folks who let their DEF level drop until they get the warning to refill having expen$ive repair issues; check engine lights, codes set etc. It's worth it to me, and easy, just to top up the DEF frequently.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Many of the tank treatments contain formaldehyde which is pretty good at stopping microbial growth. This may not be an issue in February or August, when temps can keep biological activity to a minimum, but get that black tank up to a ripe 85 degrees and you may need a hazmat suit to use the bathroom.

Pro-tip: Turn off the bathroom fan before flushing so it doesn't draw air from the vent pipe, through the black tank and out your toilet when you flush.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
SHW - the picture you posted of the water heater bypass valve is in the normal use position. You turn that valve 90 deg to bypass the water heater and drain the water heater tank when winterizing.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
DEF degrades over time and with temperature variations. For that reason, constantly topping up DEF is not a good idea. A visiting GM rep at my dealer warned me against doing so when I bought my truck 3 years ago. DEF was new to me then, and I asked his advice.

The more little top ups you do, the older the average age of the DEF in your tank will be. Only by using more than half a tank before refilling will the average age of the contents remain fairly low.

In my truck, I wait until I get the "X miles remaining" warning and then put in a box (2 1/2 gallons) of DEF. More than half of my tank contents are fresh each time and the average age stays low.

Much simpler that way and no chance of overflowing the tank and less chance getting DEF on my paint and engine room items.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Topping off the DEF with small amounts is expensive and probably wasteful since it's easy to spill it. In my opinion, the best practice is to wait until the warning light comes on and then buy a 2 1/2 gallon container from Walmart (as cheap as you can get). And put it all in using the supplied spout which makes filling very easy.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Topping off the DEF with small amounts is expensive and probably wasteful since it's easy to spill it. In my opinion, the best practice is to wait until the warning light comes on and then buy a 2 1/2 gallon container from Walmart (as cheap as you can get). And put it all in using the supplied spout which makes filling very easy.

I don't wait for a warning. After 5,000 miles I can add a 2.5 gallon container of DEF. I always have the DEF filled during my 10,000 mile services.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I don't wait for a warning. After 5,000 miles I can add a 2.5 gallon container of DEF. I always have the DEF filled during my 10,000 mile services.
Yes, that too!!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I thought about that until the MB service advisor told me that they charge around $5-$6 a liter which makes it about $50 for the 2.5 gallons at Sam's or Walmart. That's when I made it a DIY project which was usually about every 3K-6K miles.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I thought about that until the MB service advisor told me that they charge around $5-$6 a liter which makes it about $50 for the 2.5 gallons at Sam's or Walmart. That's when I made it a DIY project which was usually about every 3K-6K miles.

Yikes - your dealer must be using those Mercedes branded liter bottles. I get my Interstate serviced at a Freightliner Sprinter dealer that uses bulk DEF. They also sell and services buses. The DEF service is $10.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yikes - your dealer must be using those Mercedes branded liter bottles. I get my Interstate serviced at a Freightliner Sprinter dealer that uses bulk DEF. They also sell and services buses. The DEF service is $10.
My five year experience w/ MB was that their service and parts cost several times more than my Chevy dealer (who are not cheap).

What quantity of DEF did you get for $10?