Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
North Augusta , South Carolina
New to us--06 Parkway

Greetings everyone!

New here as my husband and I just purchased a new to us '06 Airstream Parkway. This is our 2nd RV (the first being a 1995 Safari Sahara 35' w/ 5.9l cummins/Allison trans), and we certainly learned a LOT (generally, what NOT to do!!!) during the 6 years that we had the Safari. My husband is a caddie on Tour, so he travels extensively; thus, the Parkway is his new home away from home. He'll be boondocking as much as he can...the whole point in purchasing the Parkway is to save money on hotel expenses. Some RV parks are almost as expensive as a hotel!

Any general advice you can offer regarding the Sprinter chassis/Mercedes engine/Parkway layout would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Nancy & Chris
glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and enjoy your new rig.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums!

Point of clarification for other readers who may not know this: There was an interval of time during which the Interstate was apparently called "Interstate Parkway". The OP uses the term "Parkway" and "Sprinter" together. I suspect that this is one of those units where there something akin to brand confusion going on at Airstream (or maybe there was another explanation?? I don't know the story). It's actually at T1N Interstate as we know them, but it might instead look like the attached photo. That medallion you see on the angled stripe says "Parkway" (photo resolution is not too good).

There have been two "Parkways" for sale recently in the national market - a 2005 in Indiana, and I forget where the other one was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160622_PARKWAY.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	264937  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just watched a YouTube video on this unit, as I have never seen one before.

Very nice!

Maggie
Old 06-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Watch that YouTube vid and then tell me that you are NOT going to have that song stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

At times I have wondered if perhaps Airstream was flirting with the idea of creating a lower-end Interstate at one point - perhaps the Parkway represents an aborted product line, because the weird thing is that Parkways seem to have appeared in the middle of the T1N production run, not at the beginning as one might expect if Airstream was still in the process of solidifying a brand concept. The Parkway is the only T1N I've ever seen with regular upholstery instead of Ultraleather. But the rest of the finishes appear on par with the Interstate. Who knows.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OK, the nature of the rig now having been clarified, back to the OP's original question.

Chris and Nancy, I recommend that you check over your rig for hidden issues that characterized some (but not all) Airstream T1N Sprinters of that era (regardless of what they were called). There are a number of problems that you would NOT want to have manifest when Chris is out there on the road trying to work.

One way to tackle that is to review the "Repairs" tab in my blog. My rig is just one year younger than yours, and the construction and assembly methods were probably quite similar.

The plumbing in particular should be looked at for defects that might not have become apparent during any purchase-related inspection that you had done. Here's the link to the blog label.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG - REPAIRS
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
With most of the depreciation behind you and 22 mpg or more on the highway it should be an economical alternative to hotels.

If it hasn't been done yet, switch all the lights to LEDs. That will improve your boondocking potential considerably. With the Sprinter's smaller size and ability to park in regular parking spots he may find numerous alternatives to RV parks. He will still need to visit a campground or RV park periodically to dump tanks. There are some free municipal dump stations but they're difficult to google.

Solar is the real solution to never needing to plug in when boondocking. The roofline on the Parkway looks pretty clean so 200 or 300 watts should be an easy install. AM Solar has some kits that make installation pretty easy.

Here's to Mr.GulfPrincess Chris making the cut every weekend.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
InterBlog...the other Parkway, a 2006, was in Phillipsburg, MO.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh, another thing (stream of consciousness here), Chris, you may end up being the only other T1N Interstate/Parkway owner that I know of besides myself who uses their rig for occasional employment-related purposes and not just casual strictly-personal travel.

That being the case, the best information that I have received to date is that this requires a full-timer insurance policy. Anything you do and anywhere you go that is outside the realm of "vacation" is absolutely not covered by a standard RV policy.

Even WITH a full-timer policy, there are certain restrictions placed on your activities, if we go strictly by the book. For instance a full-timer policy would cover you driving to a tournament and parking there, but would NOT provide liability coverage in the event that you held a business-related meeting inside the rig and (for instance) someone injured themselves by tripping and falling out the sliding door. This, at least, is what I have been told by my agent (contact info below).

If you attempt to get a full-timer policy on a Class B by going directly to the insurance companies for quotes rather than using an agent to represent you, you might get stonewalled because people simply don't do that kind of thing. Full-timer policies are for Class A's and fifth wheels and the like, not for little camper vans. This scenario does not compute for the average insurer CSR who might answer the 1-800 number.

I had tremendous trouble with this whole issue until I found agent Ron Jarvie of Overland Insurance, who helped me straighten it out. He was recommended by another Air Forums user. My full-timer policy was only a few hundred bucks more per year than what I was quoted for a standard policy, so it was a no-brainer for me if I wanted to keep my usage options open.

http://www.rvins.com/
Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Parkway designation might have been in the years when there was more than one Airstream B-van available.
There was the Avenue, based on a Chevy Express van.
I wonder if there are any real differences in an Interstate and an Interstate Parkway, like maybe floor plan/layout.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Parkway experience

I have the exact model with a slightly different color of upholstery. I took the table out. You really can't navigate around it that well. Take a tv table with you. It will fit behind the driver's seat.
Ventilation is the biggest problem as there are no screens when the sliding door is open. I saw pictures of the new ones that now have screens. I often open the back door that does have a screen. It would be difficult for someone to climb up and over the galley area. An Endless Breeze fan does wonders. Because I travel with 3 dogs, I drive with the vent open and the fan on. I have it tied to the television that I never use.
The only problem I have had is with the house battery. I have replaced that a number of times. It could be that I find it difficult to check because I have trouble getting the seat back together. I just came back from the Taste of the Blueridge Caravan and all was well except the battery ran down one night. I did install a solar panel on mine and it helps a lot. We were parked in shade that day so it didn't help then. I had not run the generator as you are told to and that didn't start. I will have to have that serviced. I always boondock until I meet up with the group. I have no problem staying in roadside parks, Wal-Mark or any other place. I always check to see if it looks safe. The nice thing about having a self contained vehicle is that you don't have to get out if you don't want to.
Friends I met on a caravan had the Interstate version. The main difference was that they had the leather like seats and I think there was something different about the running board.
Sometimes the electric waste valve doesn't want to open or close. Keep trying and add some more water. I found it works then.
Enjoy
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our friend with a 2004 T1N Interstate took her table out, too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We took our table out as well and use a folding TV table as described above.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And....we took out ours, after the first long trip.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Took our table out, use this little folding one instead for meals, but it's ON MY LIST to fashion an alterate table that uses the OEM floor-mounted table legs, because occasionally I need to do some computer work in there and I need a table that doesn't slide around while the vehicle is in motion.

I'm thinking perhaps perforated aluminum sheet. A quarter-inch mini-table that could accept both legs would only weigh a couple of pounds, as opposed to the ton and a half that the original counter-matched laminate table weighs. But this project is still in the initial stages of gestation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perforated.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	264993  
Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I have the exact model with a slightly different color of upholstery. I took the table out. You really can't navigate around it that well. Take a tv table with you. It will fit behind the driver's seat.
Ventilation is the biggest problem as there are no screens when the sliding door is open. I saw pictures of the new ones that now have screens. I often open the back door that does have a screen. It would be difficult for someone to climb up and over the galley area. An Endless Breeze fan does wonders. Because I travel with 3 dogs, I drive with the vent open and the fan on. I have it tied to the television that I never use.
The only problem I have had is with the house battery. I have replaced that a number of times. It could be that I find it difficult to check because I have trouble getting the seat back together. I just came back from the Taste of the Blueridge Caravan and all was well except the battery ran down one night. I did install a solar panel on mine and it helps a lot. We were parked in shade that day so it didn't help then. I had not run the generator as you are told to and that didn't start. I will have to have that serviced. I always boondock until I meet up with the group. I have no problem staying in roadside parks, Wal-Mark or any other place. I always check to see if it looks safe. The nice thing about having a self contained vehicle is that you don't have to get out if you don't want to.
Friends I met on a caravan had the Interstate version. The main difference was that they had the leather like seats and I think there was something different about the running board.
Sometimes the electric waste valve doesn't want to open or close. Keep trying and add some more water. I found it works then.
Enjoy
Can you not check the battery by pushing the passenger seat as far forward as possible ?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Good luck, Chris and Nancy,

I have the same model year Interstate and I still love it. Bought a trailer but I couldn't part with the Interstate, it is just too versatile of a vehicle. To address some of the previous responses:

My wife easily made a screen to cover the sliding door and the forward cab windows out of screening from a fabric store and magnets around the perimeter. The magnets hold the screens where you put them

On 3 separate occasions the turbo resonator in the Sprinter cracked rendering the vehicles top speed of about 30mph. Aftermarket aluminum turbo resonators are available inexpensively and the installation is not difficult.

Those years are known for waste plumbing disconnects. I had to replace the gray/black combo tank and replumb the waste drains due to separation of the drain pipe from the tank.

Table has got to go.

It's a beautiful rig and I wish you both years of fun.

Who do you caddy for? I want to see you on TV, preferably on a Sunday afternoon.

Dave
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
+1 on changing resonator to aluminum after market. Limp home mode is really dangerous.
We removed table after first trial night. We also made screens for front door windows attaching by magnets. Made screen for slider that has magnet openers
(Reconfigured single garage door screen that locks onto gutter above and has side magnets to hold sides in place.).
Our galley is in rear with room for spare inside van. We put the spare on outside of drivers side rear door and put shelves and hangers for many things (including a telescopic ladder) in that space, a gift of the RV gods.
We also changed to two AGM batteries, 100 watts of solar, and new controller.
We also added 2 Hella Horns that finally gets some attention from other drivers.
We beefed up the suspension, added a beefy anti-swaybar, Koni shocks, and Sumo springs.
To be able to get to the head at night, when two people are sleeping, I removed the backrest on passenger side, added plywood support and mattress foam, then covered it to make a permanent single bed space. When the drivers side jack bed is deployed it leaves an aisle to walk through.
We also got conversion hardware for sun visors to turn them toward the door windows. That enabled us to support a canvas shelf above our heads for blankets, sleeping bags, etc. etc.
I really like the older 4 wheel TIN , it fits my driveway, many "normal" parking areas, and handles really well. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Definitely install the aluminum resonator before driving over the Rockies.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Hello again, everyone!

Just getting back home after driving home from Wichita all day yesterday. So far, my husband is pleased with his purchase. Alas, it's been 10K miles since it's had an oil change (based on the sticker in the windshield--to my knowledge, the dealer we purchased it from did not do any maintenance, but I've emailed to be sure), and not knowing any diesel mechanics locally that will work on this unit (the diesel mechanic we used for our 5.9L cummins won't work on a Class B), we're going to have to take it to MB and pay out the nose for an oil change. We'll eventually do them ourselves, but with Chris heading out on the road for 8 weeks, I'd rather a professional do it at this time.

If anyone knows of a reputable diesel mechanic in the Augusta, GA area that we can bookmark for future reference, that'd be great.

Dave...Chris works for Timothy Madigan. He's a little short off the tee compared to his competitors, but has a solid game elsewhere. Par 5s are a little tough, as he's rarely able to get home in 2, but he birdies enough of them playing them smart. They finished T23 last week in Wichita.