Old 06-29-2016, 03:39 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Showers mostly consist of wetting a washcloth and your hair before rinsing off the suds. Our daughter overflowed the tank brushing her teeth. Luckily we have an overflow on our grey tank.
I never will understand why people run water through the faucet while brushing their teeth, even at home. If you have to spit out used toothpaste, do it into a small Dixie cup that you can throw away so the sink doesn't need to be rinsed out.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
What LB_3 means is that we installed an emergency overflow on our separate gray water tank. At the point where we did this, we had dismounted the tank in order to fix the plumbing defects (severed lines that apparently resulted from improper tank install by Airstream, described in successive posts under the "Repairs" tab in my blog). Simultaneously there was this Air Forums thread describing how people were flooding their Interstates because the sink faucet can get accidentally turned on by the closing of the sink lid. Realizing that this was a risk, we installed an overflow valve that would route water to the exterior rather than the interior (blog post here).

I would never install an overflow on a combo black/gray. Actually I would never choose to have a combo tank in the first place.

Daughter is a teenager who just didn't understand RV living. It was her first trip.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
We had the combo tank overflow once into the shower in our early model AI. Wasn't full but we had to go up a ten per cent grade leaving a cg and,with the shower in the rear,it overflowed into it. Just one of the things to look out for, part of the learning curve.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Overflowing into the shower pan is not the worst-case scenario. Overflowing out of the shower and into the coach itself is potentially devastating.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
We had the combo tank overflow once into the shower in our early model AI. Wasn't full but we had to go up a ten per cent grade leaving a cg and,with the shower in the rear,it overflowed into it. Just one of the things to look out for, part of the learning curve.
That's what occurred. He took the shower, all was well, had to park on an incline in caddy parking, and it overflowed into the shower pan. Needless to say, shower got a good bleach job afterwards.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Since we are talking about overflow. We recently had an episode when young niece used toilet when we were not in van and got the flush valve stuck. It emptied the entire fresh water tank, overflowing the toilet black tank and filling the gray tank. All water remained in shower pan. Fortunately the black tank was empty so there was no nasty contamination. Just needed a good cleaning with disinfectant.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Parker (the Parkway) is heading out on an 8-week journey on Sunday. Just returned from MB for basic maintenance where we went ahead and had oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter and serpentine belt replaced. The belt was cracked and worn, both fuel & air filters were dirty (I did ask the tech if the air filter was "knock the dirt out and blow the rest out with air dirty" or "really dirty" and he just chuckled. He admitted it was pretty plugged up, so who knows how long it had been since it had been replaced. At least we know where we stand with maintenance.

I have the replacement Turbo Resonator, and if I can find someone locally that I trust to install it, it'll get done tomorrow. Otherwise, the next stop on the Web.Com Tour is Findley Lake, NY, and I found a diesel mechanic who said he'd be more than happy to install it for us on Tuesday.

One thing I did today was bring the yellowed headlamps back to life. I was amazed at how Colgate with baking soda, a toothbrush, and car wax got rid of 80% of the yellow haze. We can see at night!!!

I've perused several of the threads on here about space saving tips, and we put some of those into action this afternoon as well.

I'm already So much happier about this Class B purchase than I ever was with our purchase of a Class A behemoth 10 years ago (seriously, the happiest day of my life was when I signed the title of it over to its new owners--the engine/transmission in it were GREAT, but it was just. too. BIG!). In fact, I already told my husband when they make it to the PGA Tour, if I can quit my job, I'll gladly be his "driver."
Old 07-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you're ready to go.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Any good mechanic can install the resonator. If I remember right it's a bolt off bolt on thing. Save the old one.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post

One thing I did today was bring the yellowed headlamps back to life. I was amazed at how Colgate with baking soda, a toothbrush, and car wax got rid of 80% of the yellow haze. We can see at night!!!...
Now there's a coincidence... my husband and I are eventually going to replace the crummy halogen headlights with projectors, but many other projects landed ahead of that on the priority list and the projectors are probably the most intricate of anything we've tackled to date, so that's not finished yet.

So last week we decided to invest $25 in the 3M headlight restoration kit to tide us over (it was well-rated on the internet). My rationale was, if it gains us a LITTLE more visibility at night, it's worth it, even if we are planning to ditch these headlights in the long run. That little project is on tap for this weekend.

I absolutely hate polycarbonate - it's awful material. Whatever benefits it offers in strength are more than offset by its chemical instability. I don't know who decided to build headlight casings out of it, but they ought to be smacked upside the head.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #39
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Just got back from four days of camping with four grandkids. We have rules...
- only grammie sue flushes
- never touch red light switch
- two slces toilet paper
- must be in car in seat belts as I hitch and unhitch
- brush teeth using mini dixi cup, spit in cup
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Interblog...I watched a YouTube video that utilized varying sandpaper coarseness (I think it was 200, then 400, then 2000), Colgate toothpaste and a toothbrush/dremel with a buffing wheel, then a final coat of carwax to polish. It was pretty impressive.

I didn't have the sandpaper here at the house, didn't want to drive somewhere AGAIN to get it, so I just went with the toothpaste (which I watched in a different YouTube video) and was pleasantly surprised. It really did help tremendously. I can visibly see the bulb again!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
Interblog...I watched a YouTube video that utilized varying sandpaper coarseness (I think it was 200, then 400, then 2000),
Are you sure it wasn't 1200, 1400, and then 2000? The reason I ask is that 2000 would take forever to remove the scratches that 400 leaves.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Are you sure it wasn't 1200, 1400, and then 2000? The reason I ask is that 2000 would take forever to remove the scratches that 400 leaves.
It was 400, then 600, then 2000. Here's the link: