Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
New to RV - Purchased 2017 AI Interstate Lounge Tommy Bahama

The wife and I put down the deposit today and will be picking up the RV at the end of next week.

Loved all the information on this forum as we were looking at the Roadtrek E-Trek, Coachman Galleria Li3. Also looked at the ERA. Gary "RV Advocate"'s posts were awesome and watched through the video. We stretched the budget but showing the wife the extra safety features on the AI she was on board.

We would have liked to get the 2018 version for the updates but the price diff between that and the 2017 weren't justifiable for us. We did get the air suspension, the add on seat, side screen and rear power screen.

We are 40 somethings in north texas with one going to college this fall and another still in high school. Our main use is going to be college tailgate trips (possibly to hotel, possibly to rv park), trips to Condo on beach and fun stuff around town. I fully expect one or both kids to be in the back playing xbox, etc while we are driving.

The noise thread is also very interesting because that is one of our concerns... Generator running, with ac running and kids trying to hear their games/movies. Really liked the idea of the Galleria Li3 or Etrek but hard to get past the MB differences and wow... the interior of the Tommy Bahama Interstate is amazing. So will be reading threads on the Yeti3000 or other options to enhance the mobile entertainment and comfort but with less noise.

Really appreciate all the info on this forum.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations on your new baby, and may you have many happy miles.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Awesome! Excited to hear of your experiences!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
You will have a ball. Congratulations.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
The wife and I put down the deposit today and will be picking up the RV at the end of next week.

Loved all the information on this forum as we were looking at the Roadtrek E-Trek, Coachman Galleria Li3. Also looked at the ERA. Gary "RV Advocate"'s posts were awesome and watched through the video. We stretched the budget but showing the wife the extra safety features on the AI she was on board.

We would have liked to get the 2018 version for the updates but the price diff between that and the 2017 weren't justifiable for us. We did get the air suspension, the add on seat, side screen and rear power screen.

We are 40 somethings in north texas with one going to college this fall and another still in high school. Our main use is going to be college tailgate trips (possibly to hotel, possibly to rv park), trips to Condo on beach and fun stuff around town. I fully expect one or both kids to be in the back playing xbox, etc while we are driving.

The noise thread is also very interesting because that is one of our concerns... Generator running, with ac running and kids trying to hear their games/movies. Really liked the idea of the Galleria Li3 or Etrek but hard to get past the MB differences and wow... the interior of the Tommy Bahama Interstate is amazing. So will be reading threads on the Yeti3000 or other options to enhance the mobile entertainment and comfort but with less noise.

Really appreciate all the info on this forum.

I saw your concern about noise while using the generator and air conditioning, followed by your interest in the Yeti 3000 being a potential solution. Unfortunately, the Yeti line maxes out at 1500W continuous output through a plug in 110V cord. When I activate the Yeti 3000 wired up to my second transfer switch, the coach sees it as a 30A circuit but it's really not; the A/C and the microwave will not work because there is not enough power coming in. I can power the microwave directly with an extension cord from the Yeti, but even if I could run a line to the A/C, that draws more juice than the Yeti can provide for anything longer than a few seconds. I think it draws 2200W or so, and even more on startup. Someone else here knows the full scoop on that.

That being said, if you don't need to run the A/C, you can run everything else off the Yeti models. The 1000, 1400, and 3000 all have the same output specs, and the higher numbers just mean it can do it for a longer period of time. They are all the same footprint, they just get taller and more expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	306035  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
That being said, if you don't need to run the A/C, you can run everything else off the Yeti models. The 1000, 1400, and 3000 all have the same output specs, and the higher numbers just mean it can do it for a longer period of time. They are all the same footprint, they just get taller and more expensive.
How much time are you getting for things like the TVs and Blue Ray players? I am concerned I oversold the travel experience with the kids that are planning on playing xbox and watching movies throughout a 10 hour drive. I thought I would just need to worry about noise with the generator but saw somewhere else that we are not supposed to be running the generator while driving?

Not sure what I am going to do about AC for the back of the van. I know one is planning on being back there and the other up front (teenagers). Might have to look into those 12v options.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Congratulations!! And welcome to the forum!!

I have yet to see a very hot day here in FL... that should start soon. But I have found that opening the rear windows slightly and turning on the fan, creates a good airflow the be comfortable... again, have not had a very hot day.

Just know that to do this while driving, you will need the cover for the fan...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
How much time are you getting for things like the TVs and Blue Ray players? I am concerned I oversold the travel experience with the kids that are planning on playing xbox and watching movies throughout a 10 hour drive. ....
No issues while driving... Sprinter alternator is running/charging everything

Issue is the hot Texas weather and keeping the rear section of the AI cool...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
How much time are you getting for things like the TVs and Blue Ray players? I am concerned I oversold the travel experience with the kids that are planning on playing xbox and watching movies throughout a 10 hour drive. I thought I would just need to worry about noise with the generator but saw somewhere else that we are not supposed to be running the generator while driving?

Not sure what I am going to do about AC for the back of the van. I know one is planning on being back there and the other up front (teenagers). Might have to look into those 12v options.
I haven't needed to do it myself, but my impression from reading this and other RV forums is that the generator and roof A/C can safely be used while driving. Not sure of the LP burn rate but I'd guess several hours. One would have to decide between quiet or cool.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
New to RV - Purchased 2017 AI Interstate Lounge Tommy Bahama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I saw your concern about noise while using the generator and air conditioning, followed by your interest in the Yeti 3000 being a potential solution. Unfortunately, the Yeti line maxes out at 1500W continuous output through a plug in 110V cord. When I activate the Yeti 3000 wired up to my second transfer switch, the coach sees it as a 30A circuit but it's really not; the A/C and the microwave will not work because there is not enough power coming in... ...

The power management panel on the Interstate can not sense the 110V shore power current source rating. It just defaults to 30A when you connect to shore power and the you must switch it to 20A mode. However since the Yeti can only provide 1500W even the 20A setting will not match the limited Yeti output.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The power management panel on the Interstate can not sense the 110V shore power current source rating. It just defaults to 30A when you connect to shore power and the you must switch it to 20A mode. However since the Yeti can only provide 1500W even the 20A setting will not match the limited Yeti output.
Spot on, Mike. Thanks.

BTW, the task of unplugging the microwave for a direct hookup is a nightmare to reconnect into the wall outlet hidden behind the cabinet. So I bought a two foot beefy extension cord and attached it in a far more convenient location. Just don't tell the fire marshal; they hate extension cords...

I've always wanted a reason to use cable tie anchors !
Photo 1 shows both cords attached to the cabinet wall surface; no tangles or interference with the drawer closing. Photo 2 shows the microwave being plugged into an extension cord coming from the Yeti.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	306066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	306068  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Congratulations. Hope yall get on the road often.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
I haven't needed to do it myself, but my impression from reading this and other RV forums is that the generator and roof A/C can safely be used while driving. Not sure of the LP burn rate but I'd guess several hours. One would have to decide between quiet or cool.
The AC thing is my main concern now. Our high use time is going to be summers since the kids are on vacation then. It is pretty hot in Texas.

Really excited but also really nervous about picking up the RV. These things are not a small financial commitment and I tend to go back and forth on being excited to thinking what a mistake we just made. I think I would have already lost it if it wasn't for all the great info here. I will feel better when when we have some great experiences with it.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Battery Management

Let me start with, I am NOT and expert. My expertise is how to buy them and continue to have a great relationship with both Airstream as well as the dealer. That being said, here is my thoughts.

Read every single comment. Process the information and consider most folks on the AirForums.com are owners. Their thoughts are usually base on their usage, wants, needs and motives.

In my own opinion, the generator does not have to be on for your complete drive. It does have to be on if you use EITHER the Air Conditioner or the microwave. Test your needs buy just using the Sprinter Van's front A/C on a shorter drive and or a window in the back opened. You can always simply put the generator back on if needed.

When using the generator, understand that it is only 20 amps. So watch what you have on with it. Xbox, Blu-Ray and TV are not a huge electrical draw. However your refri/Freezer base on the year of your AI can be. This is power management issues. Test be for you go. Make your mistakes close to home and avoid if possible popping a fuse or breaker.

If you have a 2018 model, you have three solar panels that will recharge your batteries. Yes, the vehicles alternator will help in this recharging process. However, the solar panels and alternator is about recharging batteries not running electrical stuff of the generator.

So again, read everyone's advise. The bottom line to mine is Power Management and battery management. Test before you go. Hope that helps.

Gary T.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
RV at the house

So I did all the paperwork and walk through of the RV today. It is now sitting in my driveway looking good.

The tech that did the walk through for me was great. Very patient... I went through Gary's (Sthrngary) checklist on everything (except going through the TB boxes there). We found a couple small issues that are getting resolved (scratched cabinet knob, feedback on one speaker in back if dimmer is set to middle setting). The generator was pretty loud when we tested that and he sat in the RV with me in the back and said he thought he could do something to improve that. Turns out the exhaust mount was too far back and kind of pulled the generator against it's support (or something like that). He went down there with some tools... made some adjustments and wow what a difference. I still have the list of things to do from Wachuko's post (although will take me much longer) but interested to see if the rubber mounts/sound deading stuff help the generator even more. The 2017 and 2018 have different exhausts with the 2018 having a quieter one.

On the TB stuff (should have gone through it all there but tons of boxes). Missing one chair (those are huge). Don't think it will be a problem to get this though.

Kind of top of my list are the steel valve stems, TPMS, Sumosprings (have Air Suspension for back) Solar (only have 1 panel 100 watt), house battery (not sure if I will add two like Wachuko or try to replace existing with higher density) and then the Victro BlueSolar MPPT and Blue Seal ML-ACR upgrades (might need to hire someone for that). Putting in a couple Xbox One S's and I have my amazon list ready to go with all the other great recommendations from here.

Next on the list is figuring our first trip.

Really appreciate all the info and help from this site.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Not to overreach but this is an Airstream and the idea is to get out and away from the normal day to day. Just perhaps, the electrical limitation on the electronics is a good excuse to do something different and might be a good first step before trying to figure out how to keep the electronic humming for 10 hours.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
What does being an Airstream have to do with an individual owners usage? I think you are overreaching. Have you looked at the competing B-vans? Airstream is behind the power curve.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow.. you didn’t jump into the deep end, you cliff-dove!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
So I did all the paperwork and walk through of the RV today. It is now sitting in my driveway looking good.

Next on the list is figuring our first trip.

Really appreciate all the info and help from this site.
Congrats on the new coach!

I hope you make lots of great memories with it.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Not to overreach but this is an Airstream and the idea is to get out and away from the normal day to day. Just perhaps, the electrical limitation on the electronics is a good excuse to do something different and might be a good first step before trying to figure out how to keep the electronic humming for 10 hours.
That might be the idea for some... but not us. In my OP I stated "We are 40 somethings in north texas with one going to college this fall and another still in high school. Our main use is going to be college tailgate trips (possibly to hotel, possibly to rv park), trips to Condo on beach and fun stuff around town. I fully expect one or both kids to be in the back playing xbox, etc while we are driving"

We are not campers... we don't plan on going to campsites/locations for weeks at a time. We don't plan on traveling around the country visiting all the national parks, etc. We wanted something to have more fun on the drive to our condo or to visit my son at college in the fall. Some of that fun is entertainment (DVD/Xbox/Etc.) on the way. Although the AS is behind what others are doing with inverters/solar/battery it is way ahead in safety and style. I figured it would be easier to upgrade the tech than add safety (3rd airbag, parking assist, side cameras, etc.) and style. The one thing it does have going for it is all the outlets. Where the TV's are and where the DVD is. Those are connected to the inverter. The Gallaria Li3 doesn't have this. The TV has a power wire coming out of it to power the DVD player and the tv is wired into the power of the coach (not an outlet). A little harder to add an Xbox even though it has a 3k invertor and tons of battery/solar.