Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
New to Diesel ....

as most know, I remain excited (too much so!) to pick up my 2011 AS Interstate next week. With that, I woke up realizing that I've never owned a diesel and got a bit nervous. Sadly, my nightmare was that I put regular gas in the fuel tank. While that might not happen, I am concerned of the "I don't know what I don't know..." (horrible type A challenge) and want to have any tips of what to listen for, look for or know?
thanks in advance...MJ
Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Two things to check when filling up: first make sure the pump is diesel which usually has a green handle, not always as BP uses green for gas. And second, make sure if it's bio-diesel that it's 5% or less. Personally I won't use bio-diesel even tho MB says it's OK. Same w/ E10 gas.

Might want a pair of gloves because diesel doesn't evaporate as completely as gas and the handle can sometimes be messy. The smell is hard to get off your hands.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Two things to check when filling up: first make sure the pump is diesel which usually has a green handle, not always as BP uses green for gas. And second, make sure if it's bio-diesel that it's 5% or less. Personally I won't use bio-diesel even tho MB says it's OK. Same w/ E10 gas.

Might want a pair of gloves because diesel doesn't evaporate as completely as gas and the handle can sometimes be messy. The smell is hard to get off your hands.
Wow...did NOT know any of this:-) Guess I need ot read about bio-diseal fuels....thanks again, MJ
Old 05-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
NEVER RUN OUT OF FUEL.

Restarting a diesel is not just a simple job of filling the tank and cranking it over.

Some are simpler than other but make sure you know how to on your rig and you probably won't ever want to run out.

Water is a killer. I run Stanadyne Blue as a fuel additive. It put back some of what the Government took out of diesel, namely the lubricants, and has a water absorber that should take out normal condensate. You should have a water in fuel indicator on the dash and there should be a water drain instructions in the manual. review it.

If you unit has a turbo do not just stop and turn the engine off. If you do not have an exhaust temperature gauge let the engine run for 20 or 30 second to cool the turbo before shutting down. Failure to cool the turbo will shorten it's life and they are expensive.

Find a diesel forum for your engine and read up.

Don't fret. The additional mileage you will get will offset any momentary reservations.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
and more new things....smiling, as is what I was hoping for...and thanks, I will try to find some other posts re diesel...sincerely appreciating the education. I'm excited about the diesel but do not want to be lulled into 1)OMG I know nothing and afrid or the other extreme of 2) what could go wrong?.....thanks again for your note - MJ
Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You should have a water in fuel indicator on the dash and there should be a water drain instructions in the manual.
In an Interstate there is an idiot light on the dash for water in the fuel filter/water separator, and instructions in the manual; for my 2012 Interstate (2011 Sprinter) it's on page 221 of the Sprinter owner's manual— may be on a different page for newer or older models, but it's in there.

It's a minor worry at best; in 3½ years I've never had a problem with water in the fuel, AND never used an additive. The Sprinter engine runs just fine on either straight diesel or B5 diesel— fuel economy is slightly less on B5, but only slightly.

BTW, avoid Love's Country Stores. Every one that I've personally been to carries B20 diesel and your Sprinter engine can't use it.

On Edit— Also avoid any fuel pump labeled "Off Road Use Only." Especially in rural areas, you'll find pumps labeled like that for tractors and other farm implements, and these pumps generally only have Low Sulfur Diesel, 5000ppm of sulfur and it will ruin your Sprinter's DEF system in a heartbeat. Road-use diesel is all Ultra Low Sulfur diesel, 50ppm or less, and that's what you need.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Water in fuel is like a flat tire. Many have driven for years without a flat but it is still a good thing to know what to do if you have one. Driving to the gas station on a flat is not a good idea. Running with water in fuel light on is much worst in that it will kill the high pressure pump and or the injectors. So stop when it says stop because the warning comes before water is being sent to the pump and injectors.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Ditto on Protags comments. Especially concerning Love's stations. Very few of them have pure diesel and you don't want to be putting B20 in your sprinter.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
And then there's DEF. The DEF tank holds about 10 gallons which is good for about 10K miles. If you are going to hit that on a trip, it's a good idea to take a gallon and a funnel. You'll get a warning and a limited number of starts (25) and then it locks you out until you add some DEF.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Do semis use B20? I just checked at a biodiesel website
Retail Map - Biodiesel.org

and all the red dots along I44 between Joplin MO and Amirillo show Loves Travel Centers which cater to semi truck services. So they don't offer other selections of diesel grades?
Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not sure if this advice has been offered before - but try to always get your fuel at places that likely have a high turnover.

When possible, I always try to fuel up at places like Flying J on the interstates.

Reason for this is that diesel fuel left sitting a long time in storage tanks can grow algae with can quickly plug up the diesel fuel filer in your vehicle.

I had this happen once - a couple of years ago. Through my bad planning, I hd no option but to fill up at some seedy little gas station in the middle of nowhere in hills of Pennsylvania.

I remember worrying about it a bit at the time.

About an hour later, the truck went into "Limp mode" on an interstate in NY and would not go more than about 5mph. A message on the dash indicated that my fuel filter had 0% life remaining whereas earlier that day it was at 53% & should have been good for many months yet.

Managed to get off the interstate and had a new filter installed - the tank was near empty and the GMC dealer had no way to drain it even though I asked. They felt it should be ok and luckily it was. Just cost us the price of a filter and a few hours of our day wasted!

I am now all the more careful about where I fill up!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Understandable fear. After coming off a F150, for the first month I owned a 2008 F250 diesel I kept repeating to myself "dieseldieseldiesel" whenever I pulled up to the pumps. After a few weeks I compartmentalized gas vs diesel vehicles in my fleet. Alternatively, until you compartmentalize, write diesel on a sticky note and stick it on the dash.

You second line of protection for you or an attendant is the green gas cap or the word diesel written on the cap or filling area or both.

Protagonist - great tip on Loves truck stops. 👍
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Modern diesels have been self-priming for quite awhile so in the case of running out of fuel life is a bit easier. Always, ALWAYS ( did I mention ALWAYS) carry an extra fuel filter ( and learn how to change it on the road ). Getting a bad load of fuel is about the only thing, short of a catastrophic mechanical failure, that will leave you dead in the water. ( or at the side of the road). It has happened to me. Enjoy your diesel. Take care of it and it will treat you well.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Accidentally put gas in diesel? Don't start it. Call for help and be prepared to pay for your error and practice saying over and over, yes dear. Yes dear.

You didn't mention brand and it really doesn't matter for this comment. Carry a spare fuel filter and learn how to change it. You can pick up some nasty fuel not even knowing it and short time later loss of power is first sign of trouble. Change filter, continue. Get another filter ASAP.

Keep the truck engine stock. Save your $ for trips instead.

Keep a record of basic services.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
The number of times I have gotten bad gas in the past 45 years I can count on 1 hand.. But l have lost count of the bad diesel I have gotten.. Due to this I learned to try and fill up at major truck stops as they move a lot of volume of fuel each day and its fresh and not left over winter grade in the middle of July..

As for the idle time to cool down the turbo is important. It depends on oil flow to cool the seals and bearings.. If you just kill the engine after a hard pull,, the oil left in the turbo just cooks as its over 1000 degrees.. The heat soaks into the seal and bakes it hard and can take the temper away from the turbo bearings that spin as high as 20,000 rpms..

Since the fit and finish of a diesel is so much better than a gas engine,, I have always tried not to work them to hard until they are fully warmed up.. With proper care there is not a diesel engine made that cant see the million mile mark..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
2015 Silverado diesel. 24,000miles. I keep rubber gloves for pumping. Flying J and some Pilot truck stops have RV pumps. Usually 2 and much preferred to the high pressure 18 wheeler pumps. I make sure it's ultra low sulfur and I've used B20 without a problem but prefer the real diesel(no B 20 ). I do carry a fuel filter just in case. Most diesel pumps I've used are green or yellow covers. Be cautious at BP as their gas pumps use green. Don't worry you won't screw up and get gas. You'll watch what you do. Don't worry and have fun.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
New to Diesel ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Modern diesels have been self-priming for quite awhile so in the case of running out of fuel life is a bit easier. Always, ALWAYS ( did I mention ALWAYS) carry an extra fuel filter ( and learn how to change it on the road ). Getting a bad load of fuel is about the only thing, short of a catastrophic mechanical failure, that will leave you dead in the water. ( or at the side of the road). It has happened to me. Enjoy your diesel. Take care of it and it will treat you well.

While true that most modern Diesel engines have an electric lift pump running out of diesel can be very harmful to your engine. You see most high pressure injection pumps use the fuel for lubrication. It's kinda like running your engine out of oil. Wait till you see the bill for a new or rebuilt injection pump.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Remember in a diesel a check engine light is ALWAYS a serious problem and treat it as such pull over immediately and assess the issue.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
In addition to HowieE's post, if water gets by the water separator filter and into the injectors it will blow the tips off and damage cylinder walls and pistons. At that point you can end up with a runaway engine. At least that is my experience with diesel marine applications.

Congratulations on your new to you Interstate, enjoy!
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
And then there's DEF. The DEF tank holds about 10 gallons which is good for about 10K miles. If you are going to hit that on a trip, it's a good idea to take a gallon and a funnel. You'll get a warning and a limited number of starts (25) and then it locks you out until you add some DEF.

So by adding 2 Gal of DEF, I've bought myself 2000 miles until the next DEF low light? 1000 miles/DEF Gallon?

2014 Airstream Interstate
Currently a "Weekender" but planning a cross country trip next summer.