Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
The number of times I have gotten bad gas in the past 45 years I can count on 1 hand.. But l have lost count of the bad diesel I have gotten.. Due to this I learned to try and fill up at major truck stops as they move a lot of volume of fuel each day and its fresh and not left over winter grade in the middle of July..

As for the idle time to cool down the turbo is important. It depends on oil flow to cool the seals and bearings.. If you just kill the engine after a hard pull,, the oil left in the turbo just cooks as its over 1000 degrees.. The heat soaks into the seal and bakes it hard and can take the temper away from the turbo bearings that spin as high as 20,000 rpms..

Since the fit and finish of a diesel is so much better than a gas engine,, I have always tried not to work them to hard until they are fully warmed up.. With proper care there is not a diesel engine made that cant see the million mile mark..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
2015 Silverado diesel. 24,000miles. I keep rubber gloves for pumping. Flying J and some Pilot truck stops have RV pumps. Usually 2 and much preferred to the high pressure 18 wheeler pumps. I make sure it's ultra low sulfur and I've used B20 without a problem but prefer the real diesel(no B 20 ). I do carry a fuel filter just in case. Most diesel pumps I've used are green or yellow covers. Be cautious at BP as their gas pumps use green. Don't worry you won't screw up and get gas. You'll watch what you do. Don't worry and have fun.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
New to Diesel ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Modern diesels have been self-priming for quite awhile so in the case of running out of fuel life is a bit easier. Always, ALWAYS ( did I mention ALWAYS) carry an extra fuel filter ( and learn how to change it on the road ). Getting a bad load of fuel is about the only thing, short of a catastrophic mechanical failure, that will leave you dead in the water. ( or at the side of the road). It has happened to me. Enjoy your diesel. Take care of it and it will treat you well.

While true that most modern Diesel engines have an electric lift pump running out of diesel can be very harmful to your engine. You see most high pressure injection pumps use the fuel for lubrication. It's kinda like running your engine out of oil. Wait till you see the bill for a new or rebuilt injection pump.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Remember in a diesel a check engine light is ALWAYS a serious problem and treat it as such pull over immediately and assess the issue.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
In addition to HowieE's post, if water gets by the water separator filter and into the injectors it will blow the tips off and damage cylinder walls and pistons. At that point you can end up with a runaway engine. At least that is my experience with diesel marine applications.

Congratulations on your new to you Interstate, enjoy!
Old 05-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
And then there's DEF. The DEF tank holds about 10 gallons which is good for about 10K miles. If you are going to hit that on a trip, it's a good idea to take a gallon and a funnel. You'll get a warning and a limited number of starts (25) and then it locks you out until you add some DEF.

So by adding 2 Gal of DEF, I've bought myself 2000 miles until the next DEF low light? 1000 miles/DEF Gallon?

2014 Airstream Interstate
Currently a "Weekender" but planning a cross country trip next summer.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Ok, lots of good comments and advice. I have a 2010 Interstate, I'm not a mechanic and don't carry an extra filter but I try to be careful where I buy my fuel. Mercedes tells me to stay away from biofuel unless it's 5% or less I think. If it's Shell diesel it's usually good but I've stopped at Shell stations and when I attempt to put in diesel the pump says "not a shell product".
Second and a very important issue with a diesel Interstate is the size of the fuel nozzle that you must find. Many truck stops have the larger fuel nozzle that will not fit the Interstate yet they usually have at least one that does. So when traveling look for the auto diesel usually where regular cars are, and have a green pump handle that says DIESEL. Always ask yourself every time that if you put in the correct size diesel nossle with diesel fuel. I can't tell you how many times when I stopped at the truck stops I had the wrong size fuel nozzle. Not anymore.
I love the Interatate and the mileage diesel delivers.
I hope my advice saves you time and trouble.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
Diesels need clean air and clean fuel. The clean fuel point has been covered by several good posts. I also suggest you pay attention to the engine air filters and change them at recommended intervals. This is even more critical than with a gasoline engine, since a diesel fires off compression (no spark plug) and needs a clean air and fuel mixture to run at its best.

Also, if you will be driving in very cold weather, you will need to add cetane boosters to keep wax from precipitating out of the fuel and blocking the fuel flow. There are a number of fuel additives on the market, readily available at truck stops, that act as both cetane boosters and injector cleaners. I add them to my fuel all the time, but that is mainly so I won't forget when the weather turns nippy.

Related point: refineries run "summer blends" and "winter blends". The summer blends are even leaner and drier than the winters. This can also make a difference for extreme cold, so if you have not run your rig for a while and the weather has turned cold, you may want to top up with some fresh fuel.

I wish you safe and happy travels!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #23
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
i think most late model diesels have enough pre-heating of the fuel that additives for waxing are not necessary to winterize diesel fuel. Most truck stops carry winterized fuel when the weather starts to get cold. Last November, I went from Denver to Fort Worth to Jackson Center with temperatures as low as 8 degrees F and my GMC Duramax started every morning for over three weeks. Be sure and ask if the fuel is winterized if it is not posted.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
So by adding 2 Gal of DEF, I've bought myself 2000 miles until the next DEF low light? 1000 miles/DEF Gallon?

2014 Airstream Interstate
Currently a "Weekender" but planning a cross country trip next summer.
Didn't proofread. I meant it holds five gallons. Sam's carries DEF in handy 2.5 gallon containers with a nice pour spot.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #25
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Even if you can't or don't want to mess around changing a fuel filter, carry one with you. Then when help is available you're not stuck for a day while your oddball (to them) engine fuel filter is found or delivered. And it can prevent you from having an unknown off brand filter being used.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I have added 2.5 gallons of DEF a couple of times, and it quicky fills to the top of the tube, even when adding slowly from a jug. Then 10 minutes later it will drain down and I can add another 0.5 gallons before it fills again. Seems to be a tube that (presumably) goes from the DEF tank and goes to the fill tube - as a tank vent. Vent tube seems to be clear. Anybody else have similar problems?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I've added DEF to my silverado twice but it takes the full 2.5 gal with no problem. I also wash off the DEF crystals from the pour area if any are visible.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I've added DEF to my silverado twice but it takes the full 2.5 gal with no problem. I also wash off the DEF crystals from the pour area if any are visible.
DEF crystals? It only crystallizes if left to dry.

DEF is corrosive and can eat away at paint, so all of us who add our own should wash off any spills just as soon as the fill spout is capped off. Don't wait for it to crystallize.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote