Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Have you seen what those old VW vans are worth now?
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greenville , South Carolina
I know MB would fix anything that went wrong with the Air Suspension, but if the E&B leveling system fails or needs to be repaired, I'm assuming that's an AI option, right?
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Saving $800 ? You betcha, I don't want to pay $800 for custom bedding/comforter stuff. Pleasure Way bed for me, it is. And for that savings, if it does not work out, not big $ down the drain. Great info. This is good stuff. Saving money already on accessories & have not even taken delivery of unit yet. Thanks.
We just bought this from the dealer and they discounted it.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
WACHUKO - SORRY it took awhile to post pics. Been so busy with doing short day trips with family to test unit out and on top of that, already doing some "Techie" stuff inside unit (more to post on this later). I had the pics since delivery date but had to figure out an Auto-Rotate issue with Android-Windows when I was uploading to AirForums.

E&P Hydraulic Leveling retracted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_132534.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	306442
C/S Rear

Name:	20180311_132630.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	306443
R/S Rear

Name:	20180311_132903.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	306444
R/S Front

Name:	20180311_133001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	306445
C/S Front
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
E&P Hydraulic Leveling Extended

Name:	20180309_135526.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	306452
C/S Rear

Name:	20180309_135530.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	306453
R/S Rear

Name:	20180309_135548.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	306454
C/S Front

Name:	20180309_135553_01.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	306455
R/S Front
Old 03-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #46
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thank you!!!! Looks great!!! Excellent install!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Dix Hills , New York
Looks great!! Let us know how it works. I have a 2108 Lounge EXT. with with air suspension. Wish the 4x4 option was available when I made my purchase.
Flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #48

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Alex AVI - now I can see the photos better (looking at them from the computer instead of the phone). That is one cool setup and the mounting points are all brackets so it does not look like they make any welds or drill into the Sprinter. Nice.

Please restrain from telling us how wonderful it is and how you just push a button and everything is leveled.... and how you do not need to carry the huge leveling blocks... and how you are using all that space for other stuff...

Kidding aside, glad you were able to get it when you bought your AI. Makes everything so simple...
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Alex AVI - now I can see the photos better (looking at them from the computer instead of the phone). That is one cool setup and the mounting points are all brackets so it does not look like they make any welds or drill into the Sprinter. Nice.
FWIW, I think MB's "rules" for upfitters, especially a Master Upfitter with a very unique relationship like Airstream, is there are to be no modifications to the chassis or they will void the warranty. That means no cuts, no welds, and no holes other than what MB puts in the chassis at the factory. So.....adding the VB Air and leveling system the way they did is basically all they were allowed to do.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #50

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
FWIW, I think MB's "rules" for upfitters, especially a Master Upfitter with a very unique relationship like Airstream, is there are to be no modifications to the chassis or they will void the warranty. That means no cuts, no welds, and no holes other than what MB puts in the chassis at the factory. So.....adding the VB Air and leveling system the way they did is basically all they were allowed to do.
Ahh, understood.

I want that in my AI so bad... trying to hide my desire but it is not working
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
For me, the leveling system would have marginal utility as I have had three AI’s in the last 10 years and only used leveling blocks one time. I certainly would have bought an existing unit that included the option if it was on the lot and available in the model, configuration and color I was looking for. The option would have more potential use for us than four wheel drive. We sold our Prevost coach last year as we found we were using the AI more often than the Bus because of the ease of travel in it and also because of the simplicity of the systems which have to be maintained and often adjusted and repaired. I don’t even like the electric shade system in our 2017 AI, as I have read about so many problems associated with them. They have not failed so far, so I feel lucky.
Still, if the leveling system proves to be trouble free, it would be nice to have in those rare, for us situations.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #52
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
there are to be no modifications to the chassis or they will void the warranty. That means no cuts, no welds, and no holes other than what MB puts in the chassis at the factory.
Absolutely true, this exact point was made in the video by Advanced RV install of the E&P Hydraulic Leveling system (Per factory rep Ron who was demonstrating the system).
Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #53
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Yes, no welds, no drilling. Brackets use existing holes in frame.

Quote:
Please restrain from telling us how wonderful it is and how you just push a button and everything is leveled....
Sometimes I press the button from the main control panel under passenger seat. But sometimes if I am too far from the AI , I have to use the wireless remote control. As INTERBLOG said on Teak Carpet Look thread - "First-world problems manifesting once again."

Seriously though, tested it a few times already. 1st time at dealer's lot which was pretty level already. So not much to level there. Same thing at an rv concrete pad at Lake Mead National Park campground. Tried on the gravel area next to it, which was not as level as the pad, and a bit softer on 1 side. It took just a tad longer but leveled fine.

Different story on my driveway. It has 6% slope front to back. And a slight slope left to right. It did not like that odd complex angle. It did not even try to Auto-Level. The orange error LED lit up right away. So had to do it manually.

Quote:
I want that in my AI so bad... trying to hide my desire but it is not working
I went into this thinking the leveling system was still a future model year option. Went into dealer only wanting VB Air. Like you, I had a hard time hiding my emotions upon finding out it had E&P Hydraulic leveling. Luckily, I had already set the parameters for our deal. Otherwise, I may have lost all bargaining power and had to pay MSRP
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #54
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Finally, Warranty Parts came in

Finally, Warranty Parts came in

It took forever for these to come in, factor in the travelling when we are out of town, then trying to schedule in warranty work when service department schedule is jammed booked solid for months. But luckily, my dealer's Service & Parts Dept. Manager stayed on top of things. I am not sure if it's because warranty replacements are slower than paying orders or just getting the parts re-made takes much longer. Don't care now. I have them and can install at my leisure. Just happy my dealer and AS did not drop the ball.

- A few replacement overhead storage doors of the curved variety. They were bowed outward, so no way to compensate the alignment with adjacent doors. IF they were bowed inward, could still align both edges to adjacent doors even with center a little popped out.

Name:	20190615_170907.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	343671

- Entirely new ceiling panels x2. They do not look that huge when looking up the ceiling from below. But one of the panels is exactly 4'x8'. The other was about half. YIKES! I came in with wife's smallish suv not thinking of the size. Had to come back with my pickup truck with full sized bed.

Name:	20190615_170621.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	343672

Name:	20190615_170738.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	343673
Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Understand the issue with the cabinet doors, but can you please elaborate on why the ceiling panels needed to be replaced. I had to replace the screws holding the cabinet doors to the hinges, as a couple had pulled out. I filled the existing hole with toothpick and glue, let it dry, re-drilled a pilot hole, and used a new screw that was slightly longer.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #56
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Understand the issue with the cabinet doors, but can you please elaborate on why the ceiling panels needed to be replaced. I had to replace the screws holding the cabinet doors to the hinges, as a couple had pulled out. I filled the existing hole with toothpick and glue, let it dry, re-drilled a pilot hole, and used a new screw that was slightly longer.
TITUS - Sorry, I hope I did not give impression the bowed door issue had anything to do with the ceiling panels They were completely different issues. I ended up lumping them together because:
1. The parts arrived at the same time
2. They were both warranty issues

Pretty sure the doors were AS warranty. But not sure who picked up the tab on the ceiling panels - AS, dealer, or split. There is a long background story on the ceiling panels. But for brevity - there was an issue that was very hard to determine if factory caused, dealer caused, or inherent quality of material/installation. I never really got a good answer but they decided to replace them. I just requested that they let me do the work on my own rather than subject my unit to possible "accidental" damage (if you get what I mean). They were very accommodating. Hence, I will replace my panels as a winter project during AI downtime.

I posted this to illustrate that there is an advantage to trying to cultivate a good relationship with a local dealer, even though it meant (in my case) I may have passed up the opportunity to save some more by buying my rv from say Colonial out east who already has a good reputation for good prices & good service. As I have posted before, my dealer is new to the area, though owned by an established SoCal network. But they had major growing pains. Even when things were bad in the beginning, I always wanted to maintain a good relationship with them, rather than burn bridges (but I did get close). I am happy that I did put more effort to that relationship. And now, they know me, how I operate, and I with them. We have a very good understanding of each other's expectations.

This would not have happened this way had I bought my unit from the opposite coast because I would not have that ability to maintain the constant visibility that I have with my dealer being only 20 mins. away. Time is money & a lot of these intangibles are money too.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #57
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Got my 3 doors installed.

Pic of one of the original doors showing how the bow affected alignment with adjacent doors. If I adjusted it to line up with the right side, the left side would then pop out mis-aligned.

Name:	20181031_131129.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	343757

Used yellow sticky to trace the existing mounting holes from old doors.

Name:	20190618_172203.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	343758

Then transfer yellow sticky to new door. Drill the holes, pre-mount the screws to drop into to the slotted hinges, and voila, perfect mounting to the hinges/brackets with no measuring.

Name:	20190618_172239.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	343759

Minor tweaks to the hinge frame-mounting-bolts and bingo, doors in perfect alignment. DONE!

Name:	20190618_191255.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	343760

Name:	20190618_191300.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	343761

Name:	20190618_191315.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	343762
Old 06-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #58

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Nice job!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex,
No, I assumed that the doors and ceiling panels were different issues. I was simply curious about what could be wrong with ceiling panels - scratched, didn't fit right (gaps), odd color or brushing pattern, or something else.

Regarding local purchase:
We did not find our desired layout (3 seat lounge in silver color) at our most local dealer. For us the nearest 'local' is 120 miles away, with a large local 200 miles away. so even local is not very local. We were in LA on a mini-vacation and went to the dealer there. They had the layout we wanted so we bought it. It had been on the lot for a while so we got a good deal (I think). Courtesy of reading this forum before purchase I thought I knew what to ask them to test for battery-wise before purchase. Especially important since it had been sitting for months. But I didn't ask exactly the right questions (or they lied in answering them) and I ended up replacing the coach batteries immediately after getting home from our maiden voyage. I paid for the replacement myself (didn't even both contacting the LA dealer), but got them at cost from Lifeline. (Thank you Lifeline!) I might have been successful at getting a local dealer to take responsibility --- or I might not have been.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #60
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
ceiling panels - scratched, odd color or brushing pattern,

Regarding local purchase:
the LA dealer), .
TITUS - Yes, your description above odd color brushing that looks like either materials defect or it got scratched and re-buffed. BTW - my Las Vegas dealer is owned by the LA dealer too where you bought yours (LIN LLC). Hmmm They are not perfect but much improved