Old 11-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
New Owner's Manual

I was just on the Airstream web site looking at the latest 2015 Interstate Owner's Manual. Wow! Airstream has finally published a good owners manual. A lot of the systems haven't changed that much so you may find it useful. It even has wiring diagrams in the back.

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...tate-Oneil.pdf

It's amusing that some of the wiring diagram drawings show a Sprinter with Dodge front grill emblem. Oh well - it is a big improvement over older manuals.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Airstream has finally published a good owners manual. A lot of the systems haven't changed that much so you may find it useful. It even has wiring diagrams in the back.
That will sure take some of the fun out of the learning curve for new owners! All of the drama and mystery, gone, just like that!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Great find. This is a phenomenal improvement. I've already printed it out and on my way to get it bound. Airstream is really stepping up their game in trying to compete.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
This 2015 manual still doesn't explain how correctly to jack up an Interstate, as far as I can tell.

Mercedes provides excellent instructions and information about lifting your Sprinter to change a tire. Unfortunately, I understand that Airstream has blocked the Mercedes jack points with water or waste tanks. Am I wrong about that?

A proper jacking procedure is not in my Airstream Owner's Manual, nor apparently in this new one. My dealer has not been able to tell me how to properly lift the Interstate on the road in an emergency. The dealer doesn't know, and I don't know.

I guess if I ever have a flat tire on the road, I'll have to let the tow truck driver figure it out. I might end up with a bent axle or bent frame, but at least my tire will be fixed.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
This 2015 manual still doesn't explain how correctly to jack up an Interstate, as far as I can tell.

Mercedes provides excellent instructions and information about lifting your Sprinter to change a tire. Unfortunately, I understand that Airstream has blocked the Mercedes jack points with water or waste tanks. Am I wrong about that?

A proper jacking procedure is not in my Airstream Owner's Manual, nor apparently in this new one. My dealer has not been able to tell me how to properly lift the Interstate on the road in an emergency. The dealer doesn't know, and I don't know.

I guess if I ever have a flat tire on the road, I'll have to let the tow truck driver figure it out. I might end up with a bent axle or bent frame, but at least my tire will be fixed.
It's hard to go wrong with putting the jack directly under the rear axle where it's bolted to the spring assembly; if you can reach it. That particular point is already load-bearing, at least.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post

Bruce

You can still jack up your Interstate following the procedure in your MB Sprinter owners manual. I know because I've done it as part of my preparation for trip to Alaska. There are no issues in lifting the front. The rear is more challenging because of the tanks installed by Airstream. The rear passenger side is the worst because it is a very tight fit to get the jack on the forward spring mount recommended by Mercedes. But it can be done.

I've had a flat on the road earlier this year in Arkansas. It was a run flat inner dual on passenger side. I used my Airstream provided Coach Net roadside assistance to get the tire changed. The mechanic who changed my tire just used his low profile hydraulic-air jack right under the spring mount on rear axle.

In Alaska I was prepared to change my own tire since there were many areas where we had no cell phone coverage. Fortunately I had no tire problems on that 14,000 trip. Having new Michelin tires and a tire pressure monitor helped reduce my risk of tire problems. We drove on many gravel roads including the "Top of the World" highway to Chicken, Alaska.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Boxster,

What tire pressure monitoring system did you wind up with? Did you find an internal system that would work with the Alcoa wheels?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
Boxster,

What tire pressure monitoring system did you wind up with? Did you find an internal system that would work with the Alcoa wheels.

I installed the TST System, their customer service is top notch. I did first get their internal system and tried to get a dually valve setup that would work. But after talking to Bill Falkenborg I found out he did not yet have the correct adapters ready for the internal sensors on Alcoa wheels. He probably has them by now, but this spring I was preparing for my Alaska trip and could not wait. So I did an exchange with TST and got the flow through sensors and combined it with the Borg dually valve kit. I had the dually valves installed by Sun Motors when I had the van serviced, including new Michelin tires all around.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter