Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
New Owner - 2019 Interstate Lounge

Greetings. We just downsized from a C Class to our new 2019 Interstate Lounge Slate Edition. We take delivery in a week. First time Airstream owner. I have been reading through as many of the posts as possible, but it is pretty overwhelming how much information is here. I found the SEARCH function is not very efficient and returns hundreds of threads for a single topic. Given that, I will be respectfully asking a questions, hopefully not burning up too much band width. A few starters:

1) My wife wants to buy bedding ahead of time. Will queen size components work (sheets, bedspreads, etc.). Any considerations not obvious to a new owner?
2) I have heard everyone complain about the "Fusion" system. In a few words, what exactly is the issue and how to work around it?

Thanks. All comments appreciated. Looking forward to our new adventure.
Mikemdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
We use the SUperbag and really pleased with it. http://www.rvsuperbag.com/?gclid=Cj0...IaAntbEALw_wcB
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We bought a queen size 3" mattress topper. We have a comforter that we use on top of the sheets unless it is hot. We lay a sleeping bag on top of the comforter when it gets below appx 45 F outside.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
We use the SUperbag and really pleased with it. http://www.rvsuperbag.com/?gclid=Cj0...IaAntbEALw_wcB
+1 on the RV Superbad. It is a great simple solution for bedding in a van.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
+1 on the RV Superbad. It is a great simple solution for bedding in a van.
I've got soul...and I'm super bag. ♪♫♬

James Brown
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Welcome aboard! Our queen size memory foam topper from Costco is slightly narrower in width, leaving about 3” gaps on both sides, and slightly longer than the sofa laying flat with the jumper seats, overhanging the rear by about 4”. No problem really, we just put couple plastic bins on the sides for phones and knickknacks.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
I cut 3 inc foam in two pieces to fit the space perfectly. Put on fitted single bed mattress covers, and it fits, feels and looks perfect. We leave the beds in place all the time as we have the lounge model that gives us a separate living space that works perfect for us.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2019 25' Globetrotter
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome! We use a Wamsutta Queen Fiberbed and it is very comfortable yet compacts down easily for storage. We find that the fitted sheet that comes with the Interstate (ours is a Tommy Bahama) doesn't stay on. Because of that it's kind of tedious to make and tear down the bed so we simply spread out that Fiberbed topper and throw a flat sheet on top. Surprisingly, the flat sheet stays put.

Regardless, I think you will definitely want some sort of topper. As comfortable as the couch is to sit on, it seems uncomfortable for us to sleep on. With the topper I sleep like a baby.

For quick trips, we also got two "sleepover" sleeping bags that work great and are super compact.

Oh and you can find a post somewhere on cutting down the hard bolsters on the side of the jump seats. They are designed to be under your knees when sleeping but if you need to sleep another direction because you aren't level, these are really a pain in your back.
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCow View Post
Oh and you can find a post somewhere on cutting down the hard bolsters on the side of the jump seats. They are designed to be under your knees when sleeping but if you need to sleep another direction because you aren't level, these are really a pain in your back.
I had the cut-down bolsters left over from my old AI laying around in the garage from my twin bed conversion. I think I was one of the first to post about cutting them down.

Today, I swapped the old bolsters from the garage with the ones in my new AI. The Ultraleather is black in both coaches, so it was an easy 15 minute swap.

All it takes is a 7/16" wrench to remove them. Skin back the leather, cut down the higher part of the wood, add foam padding back to the original contour, and staple them back together.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
If you never use the back for anything other than a bed, try two, three-inch toppers, one on top of the other. I think we got one of them from Costco. Top them off with Sleep Number sheets. They have a strap on each corner that will sort of keep the sheets in place.

Look at some of my other posts for what I took out of my Interstate. Getting some of the clutter out makes it more livable and quieter. The Container Store is good for drawer organization, and places like REI and Orvis have a fairly good selection of bags for under the bed.

Also, read about how to release and retract the dump hose.

See you on the road. Enjoy!
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Many thanks to everyone for taking time to reply. Great ideas to help get started.
With regards to the Fusion issue, any comments on what that is all about? Many posts with complaints but not much detail.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Greetings. We just downsized from a C Class to our new 2019 Interstate Lounge Slate Edition. We take delivery in a week. First time Airstream owner. I have been reading through as many of the posts as possible, but it is pretty overwhelming how much information is here. I found the SEARCH function is not very efficient and returns hundreds of threads for a single topic. Given that, I will be respectfully asking a questions, hopefully not burning up too much band width. A few starters:

1) My wife wants to buy bedding ahead of time. Will queen size components work (sheets, bedspreads, etc.). Any considerations not obvious to a new owner?
2) I have heard everyone complain about the "Fusion" system. In a few words, what exactly is the issue and how to work around it?

Thanks. All comments appreciated. Looking forward to our new adventure.
Looks like the bed question has been answered. Several reviews and instructions are available on YouTube for the operation of the Fusion System. .

If you haven't down loaded the manual already, I would suggest downloading the owners manual for your Slate. I down loaded the manual for the Atlas as I am picking ours up this Friday. IMHO the manuals get you in the ball park but nothing takes the place of experience. It was that way when we first purchased our Airstream Travel Trailer. The more "Stick Time" using it, the more comfortable I was using it.

Congratulations on your new Slate. It's a beautiful piece for sure.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJZ06 View Post
Looks like the bed question has been answered. Several reviews and instructions are available on YouTube for the operation of the Fusion System. .

If you haven't down loaded the manual already, I would suggest downloading the owners manual for your Slate. I down loaded the manual for the Atlas as I am picking ours up this Friday. IMHO the manuals get you in the ball park but nothing takes the place of experience. It was that way when we first purchased our Airstream Travel Trailer. The more "Stick Time" using it, the more comfortable I was using it.

Congratulations on your new Slate. It's a beautiful piece for sure.
Thanks for the input. I downloaded the owners manual which provided good information. Interestingly, it was silent on where the 4 AGM house batteries are located and how to access them on the 2019 models. I did many searches and found no information about battery access. With respect to Fusion, the video was helpful. However, there seems to be an issue with battery drain caused by Fusion. Any insight on the issue would be helpful.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Quite possibly mentioned several times but a Cal-King topper fits perfectly. We use 2 of the Lucid 2.5 with cover (off of Amazon) and sleep in total comfort. (I started with one and found that I was sore from some of the hard area where the seats come together)

Enjoy your new rig
1olpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
We also bought a topper and trimmed it for a perfect fit
Then I ended up using a suspenders set from amazon to secure my sheets in place, we also sewed the bottom and about a third up the sides of the top sheet to the bottom.
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olpony View Post
Quite possibly mentioned several times but a Cal-King topper fits perfectly. We use 2 of the Lucid 2.5 with cover (off of Amazon) and sleep in total comfort. (I started with one and found that I was sore from some of the hard area where the seats come together)

Enjoy your new rig
I appreciate your input. Quick question. My understanding was that the bed layout was a queen size, but you noted a king. Just wanted to confirm. Finally, how do you store the topper when the bed is not made up? Again, it is a 2019 Interstate Lounge Slate Edition. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
I have a 2017 Interstate Lounge Ext and the California King pad fit perfectly without trimming. When I used a single topper I’d roll up with bungees and store behind the rear bench when in the upright position. Now that I use two toppers, I store in the garage but I typically just leave it in bed mode since I have the 4 captains chairs up front. (early on, after reading the posts, I tried a queen topper from one of the beds in the house but it didn’t fit right so I tried the Cal-King and was pleased)
1olpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olpony View Post
I have a 2017 Interstate Lounge Ext and the California King pad fit perfectly without trimming. When I used a single topper I’d roll up with bungees and store behind the rear bench when in the upright position. Now that I use two toppers, I store in the garage but I typically just leave it in bed mode since I have the 4 captains chairs up front. (early on, after reading the posts, I tried a queen topper from one of the beds in the house but it didn’t fit right so I tried the Cal-King and was pleased)
Perfect. I appreciate your input.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
We bought a king size topper because I thought a tight would be better and trimmed it . We roll in up completely made and secure with a nylon wrap. Then we just unroll to use. The suspenders keep the sheets in place. The pillows usually go in a cabinet
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Thanks for the input. I downloaded the owners manual which provided good information. Interestingly, it was silent on where the 4 AGM house batteries are located and how to access them on the 2019 models. I did many searches and found no information about battery access. With respect to Fusion, the video was helpful. However, there seems to be an issue with battery drain caused by Fusion. Any insight on the issue would be helpful.
I picked up my coach a week ago Friday and when the tech did the overview demo he mentioned that you have to turn the Fusion off manually. He said the Fusion doesn't turn itself off when you turn the key off and leave the coach. I'm getting more familiar with it every time I drive it. Between the Mercedes-Benz manuals and the Airstream manuals, I'm getting quite an education. I'm very impressed with the fuel mileage as well.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote