Old 08-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
New owner - 2017 AI Lounge

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi". Will pick the rig up this week and take our maiden voyage this weekend. Probably just a day trip to get used to the beast and figure out what's what.

Very excited, but also very anxious. I've been looking at coaches for the better part of 2 years and have gone through the full range, from diesel A's to gas A's to C's and finally settling on the B. Hoping I've made the right choice. Guess time will tell.

Safe travels everyone.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Welcome to the forum and "family." We had zero RV experience. Walked into the dealership and bought the Interstate a week later. That was two months ago and the Interstate has exceeded our expectation in every way. We have seen more of our state in the last two months than the preceding 19 years!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Welcome. Picked ours up last October and have 17K very happy miles on it. Many states, US and Canada and always looking where to go next.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Congrats and welcome. You will love it. We r out 11 weeks working and traveling, love every monent.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
New owner - 2017 AI Lounge

Welcome to the AirForum! We now have over 72,000 miles on our 2013 model. Sitting in Churchill, Manitoba at the moment. Drove from Maryland to Thompson, MB and then the train to Churchill. Saw lots of Beluga Whales and some Polar Bears today - here is a photo of one Polar Bear near the beach. I was a long ways off, but with 300 mm lens and some digital zooming I ended up with a reasonable photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470191646.031755.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	268189

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Welcome and enjoy your travels. The learning curve is steep, and well worth it!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Thank you for the replies!

Wow, some of you guys put on the miles! 72,000 miles on a 2013?!?! Do you ever park it, or just keep rolling along?

Really looking forward to "playing" and seeing what's possible. Based on what I've read and all the video I've watched, I don't see much that ISN'T possible with one of these. Mine isn't 4-wheel drive so maybe I should stay off the jeep trails , but other than that, it seems like they are one of the most versatile RV's out there.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Welcome to the forum and "family." We had zero RV experience. Walked into the dealership and bought the Interstate a week later. That was two months ago and the Interstate has exceeded our expectation in every way. We have seen more of our state in the last two months than the preceding 19 years!
That's great to hear!

I've rented class A's and class C's, but I've not spent much time in a B so this is going to be a bit of an experiment. What drew me to it was it's versatility (can be used for day-to-day things like taking my daughter and her little friends to dance competitions, hauling kids to/from school field trips [no school busing in my town], etc) and of course the fit/finish/overall build quality. There really isn't anything on the market built quite like one of these IMO. I think the Leisure Travel Van comes close, but even they don't seem to pay as close attention to detail as Airstream does (not to me anyway, and I compared a LTV Serenity to the AI side by side....that front table in the Serenity was horribly thought out and really cheaply made ).

Going from never having any RV experience to buying the AI within a week is a mighty leap. Surely there must be a story behind that. Care to share?

I used to live up in WA state and my whole family still lives up there. I might pick your brain and get some ideas on where you've stayed with yours if you don't mind. I've camped in a class C north of Spokane by a little lake where my brother's in-laws have a cabin. They didn't allow dogs in their cabin (we had 2 Goldens at the time) so my wife and I rented the RV, drove up there, and we stayed in that! It was a lot quieter than a cabin full of kids anyway.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
welcome and enjoy!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

FlyFisher,
Just curious, what changes were there from 2016-17 models?
I have a 2016 Grand Tour ext with rear sofa/bed....and I LOVE it! I haven't traveled a lot so far, picked it up in Ft. worth, Texas and drove him, (Goliath), home in April. Only a few Colorado trips so far...

My big trip is coming up this month...to Jackson Hole, Wyoming....then to Ft.Stevens SP at Astoria, Oregon, up and down the coast, then to Grand Tetons, and home. (about 1 1/2 months...longest trip to date.) I travel solo, so no driving assist. This will be sort of a test of my abilities...(77 senior). I look forward to many more in my future.

Enjoy your AI, safe travels. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Thank you for the replies!

Wow, some of you guys put on the miles! 72,000 miles on a 2013?!?! Do you ever park it, or just keep rolling along?

Really looking forward to "playing" and seeing what's possible. Based on what I've read and all the video I've watched, I don't see much that ISN'T possible with one of these. Mine isn't 4-wheel drive so maybe I should stay off the jeep trails , but other than that, it seems like they are one of the most versatile RV's out there.

Our rig never sits for more than a week. We travel in the Interstate 5-6 months of the year. Our longest trip was three months when we drove from Maryland to Fairbanks, AK and back. We spent a month in Alaska. On a six week trip in Canada now.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Congratulations. I would recommend camping in a campground near the dealer for the first night or two, to hook up everything and to make sure everything is working properly and to see if you have any questions or problems. Test EVERYTHING. That way you are still close to the dealer and you can go back and ask questions or get something fixed.
ENJOY
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Biggest change is the infotainment system, from Kenwood to Fusion.

Different microwave, toilet, awning, side door screen (if ordered), dash trim. New welt trim around side windows, exterior HDMI connection, and a choice of "Beachwood" (sic) decor.

Reportedly the Fusion system is a big improvement, and can be retrofitted.

Waiting for delivery of my '17 in September . . .
Old 08-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
FlyFisher,
I have a 2016 Grand Tour ext with rear sofa/bed....and I LOVE it! I haven't traveled a lot so far, picked it up in Ft. worth, Texas and drove him, (Goliath), home in April. Only a few Colorado trips so far...

My big trip is coming up this month...to Jackson Hole, Wyoming....then to Ft.Stevens SP at Astoria, Oregon, up and down the coast, then to Grand Tetons, and home. (about 1 1/2 months...longest trip to date.) I travel solo, so no driving assist. This will be sort of a test of my abilities...(77 senior). I look forward to many more in my future.

Enjoy your AI, safe travels. Evelyn.
I have the rear sofa bed Lounge. As near as I can tell, one change they made was to the sliding screen door, but only on the Lounge (the GT stays the same for '17). That change is to go with a screen that pulls out of a holder and spans the entire door opening, vs how it is on the '16 Lounge and 16/17 GT where the door is a two piece unit, with one rigid half and one sliding half. The "old" door is much more sturdy than the new one, but if someone is sitting in the second row seat by the door on the Lounge, they can't see through the 2 layers of screen on the old design. With the new setup, there is no screen in the way so there's nothing blocking the view. Of course this is very floorplan dependent as some floor plans won't notice this at all, but with the Lounge w/ 4 captain chairs, I think the new door makes more sense. It is a lot more flimsy though, so if you rely on the screen to keep a small dog, cat, etc., in the van, then the new design isn't going to cut it. I have LARGE dogs (120lbs), so neither version was going to keep them inside in my case, LOL.

EDIT: I see Don chimed in while I was typing. He's got a lot more detail than I do on the changes! I will say the infotainment system in the '17 is VERY nice. Huge display (perfect for my aging eyes), touch screen, seems to have every feature you could ever want.....Oh, and yeah, apparently the awning now has 3 arms vs. 2 for more stability.