Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
Welcome from another Newbie
NotStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #42
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
One can use the heating element in air conditioning unit.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
One can use the heating element in air conditioning unit.
Most Interstates don't have a heating element in the A/C Unit. They're not dual-mode units.

I use a desktop electric heater sometimes in my Interstate for winter camping. In areas where propane by the gallon is difficult to find, conserving what you have for cooking can be a good idea.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I think the idea is to use the free electricity at the campground than the LP tank that you have to pay to refill.

Bingo! That's exactly what we do!
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
I think the idea is to use the free electricity at the campground than the LP tank that you have to pay to refill.
The electricity isn't "free" since you paid for a site with shore power.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
The electricity isn't "free" since you paid for a site with shore power.

True, us accountants would refer to it as a sunk cost. May as well use it if we paid for it.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
The poster appears to have been inadvertently wise in doing so, if he bought his electric heater in Portland for the Cape Breton leg of his trip. It can be impossible to get propane for an RV anywhere in Nova Scotia. When I hatched an Air Forums thread on that topic, I named it Nova Scotia is reportedly losing RV propane fill services. I later learned more about the circumstances, and the word "probably" can be removed. The best bet in Cape Breton is the Canadian Tire on Grand Lake Road in Sydney, but I wouldn't count on it (it didn't work for us in August). It's better to conserve and use electricity where possible.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The poster appears to have been inadvertently wise in doing so, if he bought his electric heater in Portland for the Cape Breton leg of his trip. It can be impossible to get propane for an RV anywhere in Nova Scotia.
It's better to conserve and use electricity where possible.

Can we use external propane tanks with our rigs or would we need to modify the fill hookup to allow for that? It seems if it's that tough in places to find residential fill stations it might be wise to rig up something that would allow the use of the 5 gallon tanks that you can find nearly everywhere......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Can we use external propane tanks with our rigs or would we need to modify the fill hookup to allow for that? It seems if it's that tough in places to find residential fill stations it might be wise to rig up something that would allow the use of the 5 gallon tanks that you can find nearly everywhere......
Was recently discussed in another thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ay-154016.html. If you are stationary it's common RV practice to splice in an external tank; the unresolved challenge is to devise a safe way to carry another tank.

When I pick up my 2017 in about two weeks one of the first things on my 'to do' list is to crawl around underneath seeking a place for a second ASME tank.

Thanks to those who clarified that propane-saving was the motivation for the additional electric heater.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
When I pick up my 2017 in about two weeks one of the first things on my 'to do' list is to crawl around underneath seeking a place for a second ASME tank.
Please, please, please report back on what you determine and what you decide to do about it. Even though your rig will be an NCV3 and mine is a T1N, I'm intensely interested in how other people are going to approach this issue. It's on my to-do list, but Houston's heat index approached 110 F yesterday so that has to wait until the heat breaks and we can begin breathing again.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Please, please, please report back on what you determine and what you decide to do about it. Even though your rig will be an NCV3 and mine is a T1N, I'm intensely interested in how other people are going to approach this issue. It's on my to-do list, but Houston's heat index approached 110 F yesterday so that has to wait until the heat breaks and we can begin breathing again.
Will do, but don't be too optimistic. The dealer, apparently the largest volume Airstream seller anywhere, says that it's just not possible.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
The Allstays app shows propane retailers as well

John Jackson
www.NotStockPhotography.com
Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
The Allstays app shows propane retailers as well

John Jackson
www.NotStockPhotography.com
They are not always accurate in a foreign country. In Nova Scotia, the province itself publishes a list, but they don't distinguish between propane fill capability and propane cylinder exchange (I intend to work with them on that point).

Plus in Nova Scotia, regulatory requirements are reported to be driving operators out of business, so even if there IS a list, by the time travelers get to the cited distributors, they might already be gone. Two of our recent attempted fills in NS fell into that category.