Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boynton Beach , Florida
New owner?

New 2015 interstate coach owner and have found tons of great info here so thanks to all. Just finished week long trip with wife 4yo daughter and our cocker spaniel through the high country and blue ridge parkway, coach is awesome and handles mountains excellent.

Is it possible to switch radio stations on steering wheel controls like the volume?

Didn't need to use is but does generator need to be used to fire furnace?

Thanks everyone.
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Is it possible to switch radio stations on steering wheel controls like the volume?
I can't on mine; I doubt that's changed on the new ones.
Quote:
Didn't need to use is but does generator need to be used to fire furnace?
No. The furnace uses 12vDC for the fan, and propane for the flame.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
On mine the lower steering wheel button just changes the mode/source, e.g. Navigation -> HD Radio -> Sirius XM, etc
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
I figured went through all settings on display no audio option was hoping I was missing something will just use remote, ken unit is is hard to see while driving with sun glasses. All our vehicles can change stations from steering controls just have to adjust.

? Bundle of instructions are about to be used as fire starter absolutely not customer friendly. Does the dometic roof unit deliver heat for furnace fan or the furnace on the floor have fan run by thermostat?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I figured went through all settings on display no audio option was hoping I was missing something will just use remote, ken unit is is hard to see while driving with sun glasses. All our vehicles can change stations from steering controls just have to adjust.

? Bundle of instructions are about to be used as fire starter absolutely not customer friendly. Does the dometic roof unit deliver heat for furnace fan or the furnace on the floor have fan run by thermostat?
Not sure which version of the Kenwood you have on your 2015, but on mine there's an Audio icon which when touched will provide some audio configuration.
My wife usually adjusts the Kenwood when I'm driving - I can't see it either. There's a tilt option for reducing reflections but it's not very effective. I don't know why Airstream didn't go with a fully integrated Mercedes unit. The one's I've seen seem to have a better user interface.

Don't get rid of the instructions - you'll need them at some stage. Many of us have downloaded the instructions in pdf form; easier to search through a pdf than the paper version.

The Dometic AC has no heat strip; the furnace is linked to the thermostat; set it to heat for the furnace, and to cool for the AC.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
On mine the lower steering wheel button just changes the mode/source, e.g. Navigation -> HD Radio -> Sirius XM, etc

My 2013 works the same way, sometimes unintentionally when moving the steering wheel in tight corners. This problem is pretty much eliminated by the redesigned steering wheel buttons on the newer Sprinters.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Wecome to the Air Forums.

Mine steering wheel controls let you page thru the center display to the radio station currently playing and then the Up/Down buttons let you change to the next programmed station. The only seek function on mine is on the POS MB radio which is the only way to tune the radio. Not sure why MB even uses that radio.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
Thanks for the feedback everyone but my dometic is not showing heat option just furnace as far as hot goes. Can anyone please give me a step by step on firing house heat on a 2015 coach thanks? I got this whole coach dialed in except house heat and friendly safe controls on ken unit while driving. Even got the in motion sat dialed in its awesome.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
On mine, which I believe has a different thermostat than the newer models, I turn the propane on, select heat, and set the temperature.

The Airstream owner's manual should have something on it. Plus if they still supply the portfolio w/ all of the installed equipment instructions, there should be one for the t-stat.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Mine is a 2014 and I don't think the Dometic thermostat has changed for 2015...

Make sure the propane solenoid is also on in the little black box behind the passenger side rear wheels; make sure the coach batteries are on by the door switch; power on the thermostat with the top left button on the thermostat; then press the mode button until "Heat" is displayed. Hit the up button (arrow) on the right so the displayed temperature is above the ambient temperature. After a few seconds the furnace ought to come on.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Monroe , Washington
> Is it possible to switch radio stations on steering wheel controls like the volume?

I have a 2014.5 Interstate with the Kenwood DNN990HD. In my Interstate, it is not possible to switch stations on the radio or switch tracks on an iPod or CD using steering wheel buttons.

It was a serious mistake to choose this Kenwood unit for a vehicle that does not have dedicated tuning buttons on the steering wheel. The Kenwood can only be tuned with soft keys on the screen. Unfortunately, the screen is invisible in the daytime, and the position of the tuning soft keys changes depending on what's playing. You cannot see the tuning buttons, and you cannot memorize where they are.

So, what's the solution? I'm going to replace the Kenwood with something else as soon as I can afford it, and it's really going to piss me off to have to burn $600 or $800 dollars to fix Airstream's boneheaded design decisions here.

Until then, I keep the DNN's remote control in my front shirt pocket. I CAN find the tuning buttons on the remote without looking, although I have to hold the remote right in front of the Kenwood.

I'm also going to pull the Kenwood out of the dash sometime and see if I can change the wires so that the steering wheel buttons control tuning rather than the volume. The Kenwood already has dedicated volume buttons on its front panel, so I can manage without them on the steering wheel as well. It's a joke that Airstream configured the unit with hard volume controls in two places and no hard tuning buttons.

No designer from Airstream spent any time driving the Interstate, or even sitting in one.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Check w/ Crutchfield as they sell adapter kits for steering wheel controls.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
> Is it possible to switch radio stations on steering wheel controls like the volume?

I have a 2014.5 Interstate with the Kenwood DNN990HD. In my Interstate, it is not possible to switch stations on the radio or switch tracks on an iPod or CD using steering wheel buttons. ....

.... No designer from Airstream spent any time driving the Interstate, or even sitting in one. ....

Bruce

I just read the Mercedes manual and even with factory radio you can only change the volume with +/- buttons on steering wheel.

- - Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
On mine (2010 w/ the MB 20 radio), I can use the steering wheel controls to change between stations in memory.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
My error - I should have read the radio manual, not just the Sprinter manual. I now see that the MB factor radio like current Audio 20 is fully integrated and allows use of all steering wheel buttons to change many audio and Nav functions. Nice!

- - Mike