Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I think that advice is more pertinent when running the furnace than when running the air conditioner.

Not sure about the furnace contributing to humidity as of course the products of combustion of the propane are exhausted outdoors, but propane hotplate burners certainly will add to humidity. In addition to water vapor from anything that you are cooking, one of the products of combustion of propane is water vapor which will condense on any cool surfaces - windows etc. Be sure to use the stove vent when using the burners.

Likewise the shower vent when showering, Fantastic fans are especially great for moving lots of air.

Just a general comment about buying things to take along in your Class B. (We don't own one at present, but did many years ago).

Space is very limited - although of course there are offsetting advantages.

I'd be inclined to use it a bit first and see how you are fixed for essentials before buying a lot of extras that might be in the "nice to have" category.

Even in our 30 footer, Plus the enclosed bed of our 3/4 ton truck, there isn't all that much storage, we have learned over the years that if an item is something that we "might" use, then it is probably best left at home unless we pack everything else and do find we have space enough.

For example, I used to take one of those electronic wine coolers - but learned that the wine bottle doesn't usually sit around long enough to justify it!

We used to carry a Dyson rechargeable hand vac and charger - but it didn't justify the space it took up and a small broom and dust pan seems to serve us just fine and takes quite a bit less space.

I do take my five string banjo and it gets used often - much, no doubt to the dismay of fellow campers!

I'm sure you will love your new camping van - I think from time to time about going back to one, but so far have been unable to convince my wife!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not sure about the furnace contributing to humidity as of course the products of combustion of the propane are exhausted outdoors, but propane hotplate burners certainly will add to humidity. In addition to water vapor from anything that you are cooking, one of the products of combustion of propane is water vapor which will condense on any cool surfaces - windows etc. Be sure to use the stove vent when using the burners.
I didn't say (nor did I mean to infer) that the furnace itself contributes to extra humidity. Part of the function of the AC is to remove humidity from the air, so humidity isn't a big problem when you're air conditioning unless you're in a very humid climate that's only a few degrees warmer than the target interior air temperature. A furnace doesn't really do that, though increasing the air temperature without adding any moisture generally lowers the relative humidity.

In a volume as small as an Airstream, a significant portion of the indoor humidity comes just from breathing. The other sources you cited (propane stove, shower) are big contributors as well. So, the net result is that the furnace usually isn't raising the temperature enough to compensate for all the sources of moisture in the trailer, and doesn't directly remove humidity like the AC does, so that's when you usually see issues with high humidity indoors while using the Airstream. I'm assuming, by the way, that in a temperate situation one would have the windows and vents open.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post

3) I am incredulous the RV does not have a screen door.
Don't know if it would work or not but have seen on TV a flexible screen that seals together in the middle w/ small magnets. It's for outside doors in a house and I believe it attaches w/ Velcro so you can take it down. Not sure if it could be adapted to the RV or not.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I saw this screen setup for the rear door advertised. I have not seen it in person nor can I give it any endorsement, but it looked interesting.
Sprinter Rear Door Screen Kit 2007-2011 chassis high roof models with 6 cylinder engine
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I saw this screen setup for the rear door advertised. I have not seen it in person nor can I give it any endorsement, but it looked interesting.
Sprinter Rear Door Screen Kit 2007-2011 chassis high roof models with 6 cylinder engine

Thanks for the Screen Door info, this looks promising.
Once again members on this forum have a wealth of good ideas.

After reading the description of the screen door, I decided to download info from it's web site to my Ever increasing iPad App where I'm collecting info on the AS. Maybe this will help with the AS Interstate 'preflight' checklist.

It's best to plan, plan, plan and become educated prior to my Interstate 3500 purchase.

And it sounds like owners on the AS forums just love their Airstreams and their lifestyle.

Again, thanks for the info,
Peggy
Old 08-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Don't know if it would work or not but have seen on TV a flexible screen that seals together in the middle w/ small magnets. It's for outside doors in a house and I believe it attaches w/ Velcro so you can take it down. Not sure if it could be adapted to the RV or not.

Thanks for the info -- yes, I have a couple of Catalogs with this product as a sale item. I'm thinking it would be easy (!?!?) to adjust it's use to the Interstate 3500. And with the screen door for the back of the vehicle as a semi permanent feature, I think one could achieve a nice cross breeze.

Thanks for the ideas.
Mockinbrd
Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Mockinbird,

The best advice to be found in the responses to your original post are these comments from Wingeezer: "Space is very limited - although of course there are offsetting advantages." and "I'd be inclined to use it a bit first and see how you are fixed for essentials before buying a lot of extras that might be in the "nice to have" category."

We just completed 30 days on the road in our 2010 Interstate (twin bed version) and found it to be a delight in most respects. Our 6500 mile journey from Anchorage and through the Pacific NW was the two of us and a medium sized dog. We boondocked much of the time but did stay with family/friends for a few nights and paid for a spot in a CG for a few nights; 2 nights we had full hookups. For our minimalist needs and the way we like to do things it was great. But, you do have to adopt a certain mindset. If you need washer/dryer, ice maker, etc. you may not be happy in a Class B. You need to think of the Interstate as a very small boat and get creative in utilizing the space that is available and leaving behind the things that aren't essential.

Also keep in mind that getting your motorhome set up is a process. We have had ours for a year and a half and every time we use it we refine something. Sometimes is involves finding creative ways to address some need and sometimes it involves deciding to leave something home to make room for a more important item. This forum is an excellent resource to find guidance as you learn to use your motorhome.

Good luck with you're new road rig,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Wayne,
Thanks for the post. Your trip sounds fabulous. Are you going to post any
photos for all of us to view? The NW area is beautiful with lots of
great boon docking sites, I would Imagine.
I agree with you that outfitting the 3500 is a minimalist process. And I find
this forum valuable in all the great ideas that stem from experience.
I'm trying to match up what others consider 'needs' &/or 'wants'. And how to
maximize the available space with those two needs/wants ideas.
My questions regarding washer/dryer are pretty much 'out there'.
One item I'm still thinking about is...a bamboo bath ladder. I know, sounds
goofy. But here is my thinking, (and that is what might need adjustment,
the thinking).
Anyway, I found it at Gaiam Store: Yoga, Fitness & Organic Healthy, Green Living Products item #05-0617. If I knew how to
Post the info/photo of it, I would. But my thinking is:
1) during transportation, it would fit on the floor and not fall on anyone.
2) when cooking I can lean it up against the wall and hang wicker baskets etc
for cooking utensils etc. and it converts into a shelving unit
3) cooking is finished I remove the baskets and the ladder becomes a place to
throw my jacket
4) I move it to the lounge area and it is a place to throw my blankets and
store items if I do office work back there.
5) for a shorty like me it could be a step up for reaching the top shelves
6) and yes, it's a place for the towels for the bathroom without punching holes
in the wall.

Do you want to see the buckets/baskets that will convert the ladder into a
shelf?
Look at Ikea's catalog.....
I'm going to hit the send button on this post but finish it in a minute or two or three
LOL I have to run.
So sorry for the incomplete post.
But thank you for your very fine advice. Looking forward to your pixs,
Peggy
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
I'll try to take a peek at your ladder thingy.

I will try to post a few pics when I get a little HDD problem fixed. I loaded the jpg files from the camera to my desktop PC which had a boot failure the next day. Of course I had formatted the SD chip from the camera so I'm stuck until I find out if I can solve the drive problem.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
Floor plan

We just ordered the 3500 with the doublebed and 4 seats. Plan to remove the extra 2 seats and install 2 sets of 5 drawer plastic bins low enough to not block window views. The twin arrangement with extra wardrobe blocked view which we find very important. Planning to road trip on a sabbatical for a year starting 11/2011. Can't wait.