Old 08-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado

I am new to the forum and could use a little help thinking about options. We are currently traveling in a VW Eurovan Camper. The EVC is a great vehicle and nice to drive, but it is getting a little small for the two of us and our German Shepherd. We would give up some things making a change -- the EVC fits in our garage, is easy to maneuver and gets good gas mileage. Plus it goes into virtually any camp site.

We are thinking of a few possibilities. A Bambi, a Casita trailer or a Sprinter-based unit like an Interstate.

Reading parts of this forum it seems like towing anything can be a pain in the patoot. Even a Bambi would significantly complicate our travels, it seems. I'm sure many of you have been through this thought process and may be able to offer some insight about things to consider.

A few questions, please. Can I tow a Jeep Cherokee with the Sprinter? Is ground clearance on the Interstate OK for rough roads and camp grounds? Is there a preferred floor plan? Is the 22' length a problem in city driving/parking?

Thanks for your help.

Ed Brady

Old 08-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbrady View Post
I am new to the forum and could use a little help thinking about options. We are currently traveling in a VW Eurovan Camper. The EVC is a great vehicle and nice to drive, but it is getting a little small for the two of us and our German Shepherd. We would give up some things making a change -- the EVC fits in our garage, is easy to maneuver and gets good gas mileage. Plus it goes into virtually any camp site.
Eurovan campers are very nice and highly desirable. You won't have any problems getting good $$$ if you sell it.

Quote:
We are thinking of a few possibilities. A Bambi, a Casita trailer or a Sprinter-based unit like an Interstate.
Since you are already used to mini moho camping, the Sprinter van might be your best bet. I will likely give you better fule economy than the Euro van, and perhaps more power also. The floor plans are exceptional, especially in the Westfalia model

Quote:
Reading parts of this forum it seems like towing anything can be a pain in the patoot. Even a Bambi would significantly complicate our travels, it seems. I'm sure many of you have been through this thought process and may be able to offer some insight about things to consider.
Towing isn't that bad, but even a 16ft mambi would tax your Eurovan on hills.

Quote:
A few questions, please. Can I tow a Jeep Cherokee with the Sprinter? Is ground clearance on the Interstate OK for rough roads and camp grounds? Is there a preferred floor plan? Is the 22' length a problem in city driving/parking?

Thanks for your help.

Ed Brady
The sprinter has good ground clearance, but it does havea long wheelbase, making it easy to high center it...you would just have to be careful whereyou go. Rockcrawling is out.
Forum member lewster tows a 19ft bambi with a loaded Sprinter. I would imagine that you could easily tow a Cherokee with all 4 wheels down.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Sprinter towing capacity is 5000lbs. zz
Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We had a Westfalia, then we bought an Airstream. The Westy sat around for years waiting to get used and never did. We got tired of getting in each other's way and having to move our stuff all the time in the Westy. Sold the Westy for about what we paid for it. We have good memories of the Westy but would not go back. I don't know about the Eurovan but the difference between mpgs with the Westy and towing an AS did not turn out to be a major issue for us. 17-18 with the Westy 11-12 with the AS.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Welcome. I was looking at a threas earlier but cant remeber who the person was. They are towing a Bambi with there V.W. Looked like a nice set up
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Ah, the great tow vs. moho question. Our answer was to tow. Once we get where we're going, we like to be able to drive places and not have to break dow the camp to do so, as we would in a moho.