Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
New Interstate Questions

I have a new (2014) interstate ext on order, but have some qustions in advance of delivery that someone might be able to answer:

Do the new units come standard with a surge protector? and if so is it sufficient? If not, what recommended systems would you all suggest?

Also, has anyone installed the Onan AGS (automated Generator start) system? If so, any comments on the installation and use? I would try to avoid a remote start system due to the diesel requirements (glow plug heatup time, & diesel idling at low rpm). I thought that an AGS system linked to internal temperature would keep my puppies safe in hot weather when we are not in the rig..

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences would be appreciated....Thanks, Bill

Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
No particular need for an automated generator start system. It's no big deal to fire up the generator any time you have to leave your puppies unattended, and just let it run the whole time the animals are in there but you're not.

The generator runs on propane, there are no glow plugs, no priming required, or anything. Just hold the start switch until it starts. But fair warning, the generator only puts out 20 amps, so you probably shouldn't run a whole lot else besides the AC and fridge at one time. After all, if you're not there to reset the breakers, a breaker trip could be bad for your animals.

Whole lot easier in my opinion to just leave the generator running, and rely upon the thermostat to just control the AC unit, than to use one thermostat to control the generator start-up and another to control the AC.

But to be honest, I question even the need for that. If you cover the big greenhouse windshield, open the tip-out side windows (close the blinds over the upper part of the windows, and open the roof vent and turn it on high, you can keep the inside temperature very close to the outside temperature even without the AC. There won't be an awful lot of heat buildup. Try it (without the animals inside) and see if it stays cool enough inside before you commit to running the generator every time you park.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
I have a new (2014) interstate ext on order, but have some qustions in advance of delivery that someone might be able to answer:

Do the new units come standard with a surge protector? and if so is it sufficient? If not, what recommended systems would you all suggest?

Also, has anyone installed the Onan AGS (automated Generator start) system? If so, any comments on the installation and use? I would try to avoid a remote start system due to the diesel requirements (glow plug heatup time, & diesel idling at low rpm). I thought that an AGS system linked to internal temperature would keep my puppies safe in hot weather when we are not in the rig..

I would try to park in shade and run your ceiling fan with the windows open. Keeps things pretty comfortable, in our opinion.

Best thing, however, is to not leave those pups alone for too long in extreme temperatures.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post

No, they do not come with a surge supressor (and yes, they should). I use this model: EMS-PT30C

The company is great and stands behind the product. I actually spoke to the owner more than once. Highly recommended.

GM

GM
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #5

Boston , Massachusetts
I have a 2014 on order as well...are you picking up in NJ in May?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
no.... in Ohio
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Was told that while there's no internal surge protector, the system does protect against miswired shore power.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
The Onan AGS looks interesting. I'd definitely want that, either to set quiet hours on the generator, have the AC able to come on without having to start the generator manually, or just to have the gen fire up to keep both the chassis and house batteries charged.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I personally don't like automatic-start on any internal combustion engine. I don't think engines should ever be left to run unattended, as a safety issue. Ever since we had to deal with an emergency generator at one of the field sites I deal with at work, where the generatoró that was low on oil due to a leakó started automatically and the diesel engine destroyed itself before anyone went to check on it. By the way, ever since that incident, our policy is, generators at manned sites can have auto-start, but at unmanned sites, no.

So, I'll never have an automatic-start on any internal combustion engine I own. Remote-start, maybe, if I'm right there within line-of-sight to trigger it. But not anything that can start the engine when I'm not there.

I won't tell anyone else to avoid automatic-start systems; that's up to you. But you should take extra care to make sure the generator is in good condition at all times that the auto-start system is active.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote