Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Might check with Coachnet on their "road assistance" program. We had a fouled fuel filter in our Detroit powered Class A. Luckily this fouled filter swap took place in our barn, however, I lost the fuel "prime", long story. Called Coachnet, they asked if we were in a safe area, then I explained we were parked in our barn. The Coachnet person explained fuel filters were a part of maintenance, and would not help us on site. I asked if this happened on the roadside, would they assist in priming the engine, the response was no. With our platinum level coverage, they would have left us on the side of the road, and any roadside assistance would have been on our nickel
Briefly checking AAA RV Plus site shows they will make an attempt to get you started as part of coverage. We get Coachnet thru our Rv insurance at a reduced rate. AAA is twice as expensive, but I guess we are getting what we paid for. Guess we make sure we carry our "weed sprayer" to prime the engine, in case we need to change filters on the road, if we "loose prime" ever again. First time in 15 years

Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Note that in addition to whatever Airstream provides, all vehicles under any Mercedes warranty are also eligible for Mercedes roadside assistance:

Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance

Also, if you are shopping for RV coverage, take a good look at Allstate Motor Club RV. They are the people who actually provide coverage that Good Sam sells, and it is a much better deal if you buy direct.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My Allied insurance policy covers roadside assistance.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
We were on our first medium distance run and I had to call coach net for a simple problem. They were not only helpful, but a tech called back in 10 minutes and didn't laugh at the issue. I couldn't find the switch for the hot water heater.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is good to hear, and I hereby retract my pessimism...and say Good Job, JC!

Maggie
Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Good information from Rich Luhr

We took possession of our 2015 Grand Tour Oct 25. The dealer spent three plus hours with us going through everything. Some things took, most didn't. I had downloaded Rich Luhrs "Airstream Life Guide, Airstream Interstate 3500 Motorhome ". It turned out to be a lifesaver. He had great instructions on how to turn on the heater, which we desperately needed. We've used it a bunch of times. The pile of papers that came with the coach contains lots of warranty information, in a million different languages. Mostly pretty useless on how to turn anything on. The dealer did give us a great laminated binder just for the radio. We haven't been out in a couple of weeks, but we're going away this Friday. Time to get reacquainted. This forum has been a great discovery. Interstate owners are so helpful.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They should have included the OEM instructions for all of the equipment that AS installs. At least mine did in a nice soft side briefcase along w/ the Sprinter owner's manuals.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

bonita springs , florida
Hey welcome to forum
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
They should have included the OEM instructions for all of the equipment that AS installs. At least mine did in a nice soft side briefcase along w/ the Sprinter owner's manuals.
If you're lucky it will include all of the OEM manuals. When I bought mine, several of the manuals weren't included and I had to go looking for PDF versions online. Including the LPG detector, the sliding step, the BIM, the house battery data sheetÖ
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Yes, the briefcase with a couple of dozen manuals was indeed included with the purchase, however many of them are NOT end-user friendly...more technical manuals for the installer or repair person. Not that this is Airstream's fault, but it does make the orientation tour that much more important.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Was at our local dealer yesterday and met a couple picking up their brand new 2015 Interstate! Talked with them for a while, told them to get on airforums, answered a few questions. The man said, "I think the learning curve on this thing is going to be much bigger than I originally thought." LOL!! Yep!! But it's all so much fun!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
"I think the learning curve on this thing is going to be much bigger than I originally thought."
Probably the understatement of the year.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
No matter how good or bad your orientation was, there's no substitute for actually going camping and trying out all of the systems for yourself.

I had a professor in college who said, "You learn everything three times. Once when you see it, once when you read it, once when you do it."

A good orientation will not just be the dealer demonstrating how everything works. A good orientation starts with a demonstration, followed by, "Okay, now you try it," followed by "Okay, here's the manual for that so you can read up on it." So that you can see it, read it, and do it, though not necessarily in that order.

At Foley RV, I made sure I got a good orientation. After salesperson Claude Ann Doolittle demonstrated something, I said, "Okay, let me try it. Just tell me when I'm doing something wrong." That way, we went over everything, with coaching from Claude Ann, until I was confident that I could do it without coaching.

But even then my first camping trip was a training camp, where I put myself to the test by doing everything without coaching. After reading the manuals. So for me, it was "see, do, read, do" rather than "see, read, do." But that's because I'm a slow learner.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dealerships with hook-ups, who encourage an overnight or two in their lot, offer a great service to new owners.

Always take advantage of this, if you expect a rather harsh learning curve.

Help is right there, you can go thru and do everything, get your questions answered and have guidance given.

Maggie