Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
New Interstate Owner

My wife and I purchased a Black/Cream Ultraleather 2013 3500 EXT with 3400 miles last Friday as our first RV. It still had all of the packing in the bath, refrigerator, microwave, etc. It had been owned by a very high ranking NASCAR executive who evidently used it for office duties.

We spent yesterday and today removing stickers, cleaning and familiarizing ourselves with all of the manuals and equipment. Drove it to Sam's yesterday for some driving experience and to my son's house today to take our grandson to dinner to celebrate his 14th birthday.

My father-in-law is 93 and having some health issues in northern Indiana. My son works for a NASCAR related company and cannot get away until after the racing season. We have all been planning on a trip to Indiana around Thanksgiving time. As I expected, my son and his family were all over traveling there in the Interstate. The grandson has already staked out his place on the rear lounge where he will hook up his PlayStation to play games all the way to Indiana from NC.

Looking forward to some shakedown trips in the near future once we figure out what to pack. At our recent 50th class reunion my best friend from those days (and best man at our wedding) invited us to visit him at his house on a mountain overlooking Monterrey Bay. Sometime after the first of the year, we will be headed his way. Our new puppy will become a traveler as well.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Congrats! and Happy Travels!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Welcome to the forum and safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Glad to have you on the forums.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Lazy scouter

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Plano , Texas
welcome to the club. Sounds like you got a beauty!
Nealrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Congrats on your new toy.

Suggest you try out everything at home before heading out on the road. One by one, check out the furnace, air conditioning, water heater, dumping the tanks, turning on the propane switch, generator etc.

Manuals are great, but you don't really know how to do these things until you do them.

Safe travels and have fun.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Don't trust the pump handle cover when you fill up. Not all stations use green or yellow for diesel. Guy here filled up at a BP station which has green handles on the gas pumps. Not good.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome! It sounds like you got a great deal on the 2013. Enjoy your trips!
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations and welcome!

May you enjoy many happy miles of travel.

Watch these Forums for the Alumalina rallies, near Charlotte, and come jon us in March.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Don't trust the pump handle cover when you fill up. Not all stations use green or yellow for diesel. Guy here filled up at a BP station which has green handles on the gas pumps. Not good.
Thanks for the alert. This is my first diesel as well so I will be on the lookout for this.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Thanks for the alert. This is my first diesel as well so I will be on the lookout for this.
Equally important, avoid diesel pumps that are labeled B20. You need to use 100% diesel or at worst B5 (95% diesel, 5% biodiesel) lest you damage the emissions control system— which will cause the engine to lock itself out until repaired.

You can go to this list of sources for biodiesel:
Biodiesel Retailer Listings - Biodiesel.org
to locate which ones sell B20, and avoid them like the plague. Kind of the reverse of what the webpage was set up for, but hey, it's the best list of biodiesel sources I've found so far.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:

Good advice.

I filled up at a station in Chattanooga, Tenn that had a green pump handle cover for regular. Luckily I noticed and used the pump marked diesel.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My dealer advised me to not even use diesel B5 except in an emergency.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
My dealer advised me to not even use diesel B5 except in an emergency.
He's being overly cautious. B5 is safe for all diesel engines, including engines that use DEF systems and common-rail fuel injection.

Higher levels of biodiesel beginning with B6 start to have problems with fuel viscosity, which can adversely affect the operation of the high-pressure fuel pumps and injectors in a common-rail direct injection system, not to mention having different exhaust chemistry that degrades the effectiveness of DEF to treat the sulfur compounds in the exhaust.

But diesel higher than B5 is not the only problem. Also avoid fuel that is low sulfur (500 ppm) diesel. All road-use diesel is ultra-low sulfur (15 ppm), but if you refuel in a rural area, you may find that there is also a pump specifically labeled for off-road use only, that is only low-sulfur for filling tractor fuel tanks. I nearly made that mistake at a Shell station near Toledo Bend Reservoir earlier this year. The clerk who directed me to that pump didn't know any better, so it's a good thing I was paying attention.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
While we're on the topic of diesel engines, I'll relate my latest experience with mine last weekend. When I started it for its monthly run, it started hard and seemed to be running on only 4 or 5 cylinders. It then died. It was very hard to restart requiring several attempts. I let it set for a few minutes and tried again and it started up and seemed to run a little bit better and then finally ran normally. Tried again the next day and it seemed to be normal. I never liked problems that seem to solve themselves because they usually don't.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
While we're on the topic of diesel engines, I'll relate my latest experience with mine last weekend. When I started it for its monthly run, it started hard and seemed to be running on only 4 or 5 cylinders. It then died. It was very hard to restart requiring several attempts. I let it set for a few minutes and tried again and it started up and seemed to run a little bit better and then finally ran normally. Tried again the next day and it seemed to be normal. I never liked problems that seem to solve themselves because they usually don't.

Do you leave it sit for a month between runs? That alone could explain the symptoms you are experiencing. I never let mine sit for more than a week.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Do you leave it sit for a month between runs? That alone could explain the symptoms you are experiencing. I never let mine sit for more than a week.
One or two weeks at most for me. With my Viper alarm system hooked up to the chassis battery, if I let it sit longer than two weeks, I run the risk of running down the battery. Viper alarms are good systems, but every single sensor is a separate parasitic draw, and I can't unplug the disconnect by the accelerator pdal without setting off the alarm.

On the plus side, since I have to fire it up to keep the battery topped off, I don't have to worry about the engine suffering the effects of non-usage.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Jerhofer,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you scored a sweet deal on a lightly used Interstate.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Since my solar panel keeps all three batteries fully charged, I didn't see any need to start it more frequently. I've been on that cycle for 3 years and this is the first time I've experienced this problem.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Dealer is blowing smoke. From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz USA and Daimler AG (hereinafter “Mercedes-Benz) approve the use of B5 according to ASTM specification D975 [Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) with a maximum of up to 5 % Biodiesel] in all Common Rail Injection (CDI) and BlueTEC diesel engines.
Biodiesel Information for Mercedes-Benz Vehicles 2014 Edition