Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The airborne pup is too cute.

Parked next to the Class A's is always a bit funny.

Sometimes those owners look at you like they can't believe you travel in something so small.

Many Class A and big 5th wheel owners over the years, however, have come over to look, ask questions and comment that they wish they had bought something smaller.

We have luxury travel, all in one itty, bitty unit, plus maneuverability and good mileage.

Buying our Interstate was one of the best decisions we ever made......right up there with staying in and paying off the little house, and taking an early retirement.

Maggie

Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Maggie,
I agree with you about buying an Interstate being a good decision along with paying off our mortgage. However retiring later for me was necessary to have the money to enjoy this retirement.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Buying our Interstate was one of the best decisions we ever made......right up there with staying in and paying off the little house, and taking an early retirement.
I bought my Interstate specifically as a retirement hobby. I've known too many people who retired and then had no clue what to do with themselves afterwards except sit at home and die by inches.

And with just 82 days to go until the big day, I can't wait!

And it's an early retirement, thanks to the Civil Service Retirement System; I'll have 34 years of Federal service at age 56˝, which ought to be enough for anybody.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I bought my Interstate specifically as a retirement hobby. I've known too many people who retired and then had no clue what to do with themselves afterwards except sit at home and die by inches.

And with just 82 days to go until the big day, I can't wait!

And it's an early retirement, thanks to the Civil Service Retirement System; I'll have 34 years of Federal service at age 56˝, which ought to be enough for anybody.

And I thought the gov't quit torture. Seriously, congrats.

I agree w/ your first statement. Some of the engineers I worked w/ that retired before I did, came back to work because they either had nothing to do or their spouse told them that while they married them for love but not for lunch.

A interesting statistic at my place when I first went to work there in the early 70s was that those that retired at 65 or later lived an average of 18 months longer. Never heard an updated stat but decided not to take any chances.

Now we return to the New Interstate Owner thread.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #47

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
A interesting statistic at my place when I first went to work there in the early 70s was that those that retired at 65 or later lived an average of 18 months longer. Never heard an updated stat but decided not to take any chances.

Now we return to the New Interstate Owner thread.
I've read a study that shows people who retire at 55 live an average of 28 years after their retirement date. People who retire at 65 live an average of 2 years after their retirement date. That's an adjusted average, not counting those who retire specifically because of poor health (who wouldn't live long whether they retired or not).

Now we really do return to the New Interstate Owner thread…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Aerospace companies like Boeing, Northrop, Lockheed, Hughes Aircraft Company, etc, has been collecting actual death data on retirees for decades. That actuarial table has shown that for every year defense employees worked past 55, we died 2 years earlier (my guess is stress). I don't know when they started gathering that data, but I first saw the report in the early 80s. That's when I decided that I'd retire at 55; and that's what I did last year and I haven't looked back. On top of that, Hughes' legacy retirement program paid out the highest amount at age 56 based on the fact that the longer we worked, the less money we'd need (end of life thing and all). So that didn't exactly encouraged me to work longer. A funny side story is that I gave plenty of notice to my boss about retiring, but he didn't believe me until I sold the BMW M6 and bought the Airstream 😃 🚐
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Aerospace companies like Boeing, Northrop, Lockheed, Hughes Aircraft Company, etc, has been collecting actual death data on retirees for decades. That actuarial table has shown that for every year defense employees worked past 55, we died 2 years earlier (my guess is stress). I don't know when they started gathering that data, but I first saw the report in the early 80s.
Sorry, guys. Urban myth:

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices...nars/Rumor.pdf

A web search will reveal that there is overwhelming evidence that either (a) there is no correlation between retirement age and longevity, or (b) that people who work longer live longer. Here, for example, is actual data from the Social Security Administration:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/workingpapers/wp93

Don't worry, though. RVing is its own reward.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #50

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A web search will reveal that there is overwhelming evidence that either (a) there is no correlation between retirement age and longevity, or (b) that people who work longer live longer. Here, for example, is actual data from the Social Security Administration:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/workingpapers/wp93
I've read that white paper before. It only addresses people who retire at 62 or older; in fact it only addresses those who retire between age 62 and age 65. And it uses data from a 1973 data set only, so the data is 40 years old, even though the study itself is newer than that. So it's not really conclusive for early retirees like me.

Not saying you're wrong. Not saying you're right. Just saying, it's stupid to work any longer than you have to. If you can afford to retire, do it. Whether you live longer or not, you'll live more in the years you do have.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Doesn't work.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Trying again:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/workingpapers/wp93.pdf

Sorry.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
I guess you never know which is urban legend and which is fact, but I'm with Protagonist 😃
Old 10-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I guess you never know which is urban legend and which is fact, but I'm with Protagonist 😃
Me, too.

Friends of ours in Washington state, he a former engineer for Boeing, also cite the retire early, live longer study.

It may depend on what one does for a living, and what the stress level is. Stress is a killer.

How hijacked is this thread.

Maggie
Old 10-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #55
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I'm one of those Hughes Aircraft retirees that left a year ago next month after almost 35 years. I did everything this year that I planned last fall and am loving life. No stress, blood pressure down to normal and have now been able to sleep in a little longer in the mornings. I used to wake up at 4 every morning, I'm so glad that's over with!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One of my wife's former brother-in-laws retired from Boeing at age 70 after a full stint of active duty in the Air Force. He died from another heart attack two years later at Christmas, but had done all the major things on his bucket list.....

Live today like it is the last one, it may be. Say "I love you" to those you care about often so that is fresh in their minds if the day is the last one.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote